Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2015, 17:53   #121

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Went to the Boatshow Today...

Many, not all, of the newer designs look like they were over inflated when still uncured and puffed up to their ungainly final shape. Not my cuppa, but apparently lots of folks enjoy that look.

My biggest hate is many of the newer m/ys, which have all these odd swoopy lines and funny shaped portlights if you can call something shaped like that a portlight!). I think they were designed by the guy who used to do the Buck Rogers comic strip!. Gaahhh!

Jim
Old 19-01-2015, 18:11   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
They may one day be the GM of boat building, if they aren't already.
Or maybe the Lada of boat building.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 18:52   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Attachment 95731
Bavaria new modern cruiser

Attachment 95732
Old Cambria cruising design

Which design looks better to your eye?
Personally I really dislike the straight down bow you see in some of the newer boats... I love the look of a long sweep and a bowsprit
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 19:04   #124

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Went to the Boatshow Today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
There is some confusion here regarding why charter boats are used for about 5 years and not more years. It has nothing to do with the boat ability to continue performing the job but with the charter market. I only charted sailboats for two times but both times they were new boats, I mean really new with just some months and it was not by accident. I choose them for that reason (and because I liked the boats). The value of what people are willing to pay for charter a boat varies with the age of the boat (and being a new model or not) not to mention that the boats that are charted first are the new ones and that gives to the ones that have them a competitive advantage over other operators.

All this factors put together plus the resale value of the boats means that is economically advantageous for a charter operator (in Europe) to sell the boats when they have about 5 years and buy new ones. That's an economic decision that relates only with the market and the best way to get a profit.

In fact those boats, when they are maintained by a good operator are many times choose by the ones that want a not very expensive but in good condition sailboat to circumnavigate. On another thread I posted about a Bavaria 44 bought after its charter service years and that, with minimal changes, circumnavigated by the Northwest passage without problems. They sold the boat after that still for a good price.

That's a volume of information that describes the exact reason I am looking for an out of charter Oceanis 41 18 months from today. All logical, if I were running a charter business. Get someone to buy a new boat and press it into service on a three level premise, (1) Exclusive for less than six months, (2) premiere from six to 18 months and a (3) level for two to five year old boats. The model works best when you focus on a tough boat design that can be maintained with some level of efficiency. Makes sense to me.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 17:17   #125
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Quote:
Attachment 95731

Attachment 95732

Cambria.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 17:41   #126

Quote:
You mean the ceiling was gelcoat? On that type of boats normally isn't but some kind of panels over the gelcoat for insulation and for keeping the backing plates out of view. Sometimes also the backplates are under the gelcoat with fiberglass covering them and are not visible.
Yes, the ceiling was gelcoat. Hake was there when we were walking through it. There was a couple of guys in there at the time when I remarked to my SO the lack of backing plates. They both echoed my concern. I wouldn't have said anything if I knew the owner was there.
Old 20-01-2015, 17:45   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Many, not all, of the newer designs look like they were over inflated when still uncured and puffed up to their ungainly final shape. Not my cuppa, but apparently lots of folks enjoy that look.

My biggest hate is many of the newer m/ys, which have all these odd swoopy lines and funny shaped portlights if you can call something shaped like that a portlight!). I think they were designed by the guy who used to do the Buck Rogers comic strip!. Gaahhh!

Jim
When we went over to check out The Dark Side, we saw kids flying through the powerboat cabins like it was a playground. I didn't see any of that going on in the sailboats. It made me wonder...
Old 22-01-2015, 14:45   #128

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Attachment 95731

Attachment 95732

What sense make to compare a small fat mass production cruiser with a much bigger old designed performance cruiser?

Compare an old performance cruiser with a new one of about the same size, and off course, the Solaris looks nicer to my eyes even if the Cambria was a very nice boat on its days and today is still a good looking classic boat...but classic means nice but outdated in what regards performance. I will post a decent photo for you.

That Solaris, the 48 was substituted by the brand new Solaris 50, that is even more beautiful. I have been yesterday inside one and I can tell you that it is as beautiful inside as outside...and I was surprised by the price....about the one of a Catana 42 performance Catamaran.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 14:58   #129

Quote:
What sense make to compare a small fat mass production cruiser with a much bigger old designed performance cruiser?

Compare an old performance cruiser with a new one of about the same size, and off course, the Solaris looks nicer to my eyes even if the Cambria was a very nice boat on its days and today is still a good looking classic boat...but classic means nice but outdated in what regards performance. I will post a decent photo for you.

That Solaris, the 48 was substituted by the brand new Solaris 50, that is even more beautiful. I have been yesterday inside one and I can tell you that it is as beautiful inside as outside...and I was surprised by the price....about the one of a Catana 42 performance Catamaran.
The old classic cruiser is only 44 feet
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 15:03   #130

Quote:
Attachment 95731

Attachment 95732

The Bavaria was designed by Farr one of Europe's favourite designers
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 15:08   #131

Boat: In between boats

For a new boat, I like the Rustler 36. It checks all my boxes

SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 15:12   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Jim
I agree with you but the ones that like those boats look mostly to the interior...most of the times it is the wife that has the last word. Puffed means that the interior is bigger. The worst regarding that are the Elan from the less expensive cruising line. They have also a more expensive performance line with great cruising interiors ...but not as big. You can guess what are the ones that sell more, the puffy cheaper ones or the ones that sail well.

The fat one is the Elan 394, the slim one is the Elan 400. Curiously they are designed by the same NA.

and if you think this one has not a good cruising interior, have a look:

Old 22-01-2015, 15:20   #133

Quote:
The Bavaria was designed by Farr one of Europe's favourite designers
Farr is one of the good designers around. The same designer can do fat boats or elegant boats depending of what the client wants and the client, the shipyard, wants to make a boat that appeals to the larger number and that means many times boats with a large interior and that would be much nicer on a diet.

Look at the post above where the same designer for the same brand makes a nice boat and a fat one. That's the same that designs the new Oysters. By the way I saw the new Oyster 825: Awesome yacht...and not fat at all but with that size who has lack of interior space?
Old 22-01-2015, 15:21   #134

Quote:

and if you think this one has not a good cruising interior, have a look:

I would think that and I would be right. In my opinion. It has a post modern look that is popular in Europe now, but on trend does not make it a good interior, just an attractive interior to it's market, much as crocs were once attractive footwear to another market. . You state like it's fact that it's a good design, but you're just stating opinion as though it is fact. Not the same thing.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 15:23   #135

Quote:
The old classic cruiser is only 44 feet
44/46ft

But if that has importance the Solaris 44 is equally beautiful: