Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2016, 10:02   #16

Boat: Lancer 36
Re: We didi it. We've brought a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwanderer View Post
Congratulations! It is a thrill and labor of love and a ton of learning. I too searched for about 9 months, viewed dozens of boats for sale, and ended up getting my Lancer 44 motor sailer. It is still a huge rush to have it, even if I've spent every last dime I have, and even dimes I didn't have, and I'm on my 20th revision to my TTD list. It truly is never ending. Today I'm taking her out for the first time since arriving in my home port of Alameda since purchasing and motoring up from San Deigo. I've bought all new lines and sheets, sails mended, all new batteries and charger system, new plumbing lines throughout (fresh water as well as black water), and details on and on.

One thing I'd say is keep a log. I'm just now going back and filing in the dates and details of what I've done, which as I recreate the history has been immense yet as time goes by I didn't think it was. I'd thought about creating a website, but for ease of getting started, I just created a Facebook account for the boat itself (First Name is the boat name, Middle Name is Captains, Last Name is Log). If you're on Facebook, you can then add yourself and your friends as Friends to your Boat's profile. It's easy to simply jot down daily notes to yourself, or upload and share pictures and stories, depending on the sharing setting you want (either Just Me for the mundane, or Public, or Friends to share with folks)

Best of luck to you!
You have a Lancer 44? I have a 80's model Lancer 36'. My experience with my Lancer has been favorable. It is good solid boat, and a lot for the money.
beecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 10:24   #17

Boat: Boatless

We did the same, just went sailing for a year then added what she needed. Good advice.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 10:35   #18

Lifeboat orange, actually quite practical. Think you need an orange as a logo on your sails.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 10:54   #19

Boat: Adams 40

Well done - Congratulations. Boat ownership is a huge thrill and a big responsibility. I'm sure you'll love it like the rest of us.

Take your time over the non-urgent alterations. You've been given sage advice and my suggestion is that you think seriously about rushing into these things. Your lack of experience should be the first factor in your considerations in this area. Most things are there in your boat for a reason though a few are for the reason of extra profit in the construction stages. It takes experience and patience to know the difference.

Have fun!!
Ozwizz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 10:55   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Grats! Enjoy her.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 11:03   #21

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Congratulations !

Good times are coming ... let 'em roll.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 11:44   #22

Boat: Catalina 320

Congrats, being a newbie is a ton of fun. For over 30 years I've had to own power do to the time. I always wanted to sail so I took a couple of lessons and bought a sailboat. I think being a new sailor is the best part so far. Auxiliary engines are your best friend when starting out. My wife and I go out sailing every week, and we're learning more every time we go out. When other sailboats are hoisting sails exiting the cut we keep motoring till about a mile or two.

Have fun, Woody
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 12:36   #23

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Congrats on the excellent purchase...I'm green with envy (or should it be orange?). I too looked it up online, and viewed all the pics...very nice boat, you did really really well.

I agree with the sentiment not to do much at first, but for different reasons. You bought the boat to go sailing...so get out there and do some sailing as soon as you can.

I also agree with keeping a log. But I prefer an actual book. The best log entries contain not only the facts of location and events, but the emotion that goes along with it. And of course, what you cooked for supper.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 16:28   #24

Boat: 1980 22 Catalina

congrats on your purchase....i also just bought a boat a few months ago 1980 Catalina 22ft...like you i have not gone on my maiden sail as of yet but plan on it very soon....i agree with the others don't go and buy a lot of bells and whistles
I will be pulling mine out in a week or two....there are a few things i do need to fix or purchase.....after that then i will go out and buy some thing nice....so take it slow get what you absolutely need at first then little by little...have fun be safe
Mark Rocco
mark rocco mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 16:47   #25

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Congrats! Its always a great feeling to close on ones first boat, have a great time sailing and learning your new yacht.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 17:04   #26

Boat: Roberts25 26ft

Congratulation on your "addition" to the family.
I wish you fair wind, happy and safe sailing.
Best wishes
Dieter
Dieter Volga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 17:28   #27

Boat: C & C 36

Congrats!!! We are celebrating one year of owning our 36' C&C March 6th-know the feeling!
Hope you enjoy as much as we have.

Fair winds
One Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 17:44   #28

Congrats!!!

1 more vote for Go have fun and don't be in a hurry to outfit it by the "Book/interweb manual of every essential to leave the dock"

I'm sure if posted- You could start a firey debate on the pros and cons of cruising lama's and weather or not you should go without.

Have Fun!!
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 23:23   #29

They say owning a boat is like standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 bills...

I have loads of friends jealous of me tearing up $100 bills

Enjoy!
Smourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 00:23   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
If you provide your list you might get some valuable help prioritizing. Sometimes a new owner may not appreciate a feature that in the end proves valuable.
The list is in several parts, the main 'to do' is from the survey recommendations that are cat A (Have to be done before going to sea) Insurance have also requested these.
The Cat B things are also going to get attacked over the next few weeks.
The rest of the list if for the refurb on the interior, something which is semi high priority, it is the wife's department and part of our deal.
Then there is the wish list and the I'll get to it eventually list...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
FlippedPip is offline   Reply With Quote