Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2016, 01:00   #1

We didi it. We've brought a boat

Closed on Friday after a 9-month search. Absolutely delighted with ourselves and now putting together the 'Effing list of things to be done.

She is a 1983 Noray 43, cutter rigged, which should be fun as a newbie. 3 cabins, more space that we could have dream of and nothing major do have done. Just lots and lots of things to get her ready for the summer.

Just think, until July last year I'd never thought of sailing, let alone owning a boat. Just shows what we can accomplish when we set our minds to it.
FlippedPip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 01:21   #2

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: We didi it. We've brought a boat

Congrats. No doubt heaps of work and learning ahead.
We knew nothing about boats and took 9 months gestating our purchase too.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 03:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Congrats. No doubt heaps of work and learning ahead.
We knew nothing about boats and took 9 months gestating our purchase too.
Thanks a million. The list is huge, but I'm looking forward to learning about 'my' boat.......

Many questions to follow
Old 28-02-2016, 04:30   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

We didn't do anything to the boat for the first 12 months and 10,000 miles. That was perfect because then we knew which things really needed to be changed and realised a while lot of things we were wrong or didnt need touching.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 05:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
We didn't do anything to the boat for the first 12 months and 10,000 miles. That was perfect because then we knew which things really needed to be changed and realised a while lot of things we were wrong or didn't need touching.
Unfortunately there are some things on the recommendations list from the surveyor that have to be done to keep us safe and the insurance company happy. We've broken the list in to, urgent, important, Within a year, wishlist and refurbishment.
Urgent is being done over the next few weeks. The rest t follow....at some stage.
Old 28-02-2016, 07:45   #6

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlippedPip View Post
Unfortunately there are some things on the recommendations list from the surveyor that have to be done to keep us safe and the insurance company happy. We've broken the list in to, urgent, important, Within a year, wishlist and refurbishment.
Urgent is being done over the next few weeks. The rest t follow....at some stage.
If you provide your list you might get some valuable help prioritizing. Sometimes a new owner may not appreciate a feature that in the end proves valuable.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 07:53   #7

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Congratulations! Enjoy it, it's a great day:-)
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 07:54   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlippedPip View Post
Closed on Friday after a 9-month search. Absolutely delighted with ourselves and now putting together the 'Effing list of things to be done.

She is a 1983 Noray 43, cutter rigged, which should be fun as a newbie. 3 cabins, more space that we could have dream of and nothing major do have done. Just lots and lots of things to get her ready for the summer.

Just think, until July last year I'd never thought of sailing, let alone owning a boat. Just shows what we can accomplish when we set our minds to it.
Congrats!
Old 28-02-2016, 07:54   #9

Boat: lancer 36

congrats
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 07:54   #10

Boat: Island Packet 31

That's fantastic, where are you off too?
MikePz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 08:13   #11

Hello Pip,
When we saw your post we had to look, googled your boat and took a virtual tour of the listing of your orange boat ( there was only one. lol ) on YW. Looks very nice for the price paid.
Seems like no matter what, there is always something that needs to be done, changed, adjusted, fixed, polished, inspected,......
Are you going to keep the boat orange? Its a unique color for a boat, yes? Enjoy, keep us posted,
M
Meacenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 08:14   #12

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

Its orange! Cool. Congrats. Cant wait to take possession of our in 2 months.
SofiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 08:17   #13

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer

Congratulations! It is a thrill and labor of love and a ton of learning. I too searched for about 9 months, viewed dozens of boats for sale, and ended up getting my Lancer 44 motor sailer. It is still a huge rush to have it, even if I've spent every last dime I have, and even dimes I didn't have, and I'm on my 20th revision to my TTD list. It truly is never ending. Today I'm taking her out for the first time since arriving in my home port of Alameda since purchasing and motoring up from San Deigo. I've bought all new lines and sheets, sails mended, all new batteries and charger system, new plumbing lines throughout (fresh water as well as black water), and details on and on.

One thing I'd say is keep a log. I'm just now going back and filing in the dates and details of what I've done, which as I recreate the history has been immense yet as time goes by I didn't think it was. I'd thought about creating a website, but for ease of getting started, I just created a Facebook account for the boat itself (First Name is the boat name, Middle Name is Captains, Last Name is Log). If you're on Facebook, you can then add yourself and your friends as Friends to your Boat's profile. It's easy to simply jot down daily notes to yourself, or upload and share pictures and stories, depending on the sharing setting you want (either Just Me for the mundane, or Public, or Friends to share with folks)

Best of luck to you!
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 08:38   #14

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'

Good advice. You might get surprised with something unexpected. Save your money and spend time using the boat. Make 3 lists. Needs; things you absolutely need,safety items. Smithb@ccvfireems.org. 2. Wants; creature comforts, things that make life easier. 3. Desires; stuff you dream to have. But really don't need .
tomrealest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 08:45   #15

Nice boat. I like the orange. The previous advice to sail it for a while before you start making changes is right on. Your ideas right now and your ideas after sailing it for 6 months, or a season may be different. Try to go out on other boats of a similar size to see what things you like and what you dont. Changes are expensive, and should not be rushed into. Have a great time with your new boat. ___Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote