Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2015, 08:43   #1

Boat: Saturn SD330 11'
We are In Love!

Hello cruisers!

My wife and our 2 children (almost 1 and 4) are looking for a liveaboard sailboat. We would like to find the shortest boat possible that would fit our needs.

The budget is $20,000 (plus or minus 5k). Once we learn how to sail really well, our big adventure would be to the bahamas! Other than that we are here to learn! We need a boat with at least a quarter berth for my 4 year old. Can you fine folks help us make a list of boats that might work?

We really love the lines of the old Morgan classics and the Pearson Alberg 35', but maybe we should get a 30 ft. hunter from the early 90's??

We have been browsing the Morgan O/I 33', Morgan 34', Alberg 35', Tartan 37', O'day 37, and some others.

We love the double quarter berths, and aft cabins, but need more advice on the right layout.

Trying to keep the draft under 5' and the big project boats out of the picture.

Budget may not allow that.

Help us pick our first boat! Thank you!

Matthew
Nivels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:35   #2

Boat: Catalina 34
Re: We are In Love!

Of those you mentioned, the Tartan 37 is probably the best (build quality, room, sailing ability, etc.) given good condition, but I'd be surprised if you find one for $20k.

While I like the Morgan 34 and A35, both are getting quite old (1960's) and have narrow, cramped cabins for a family when compared to a bit more modern designs. For a family friendly $20k first family cruising sailboat, I'd suggest a Catalina 30. The C30 sails decent and is as roomy as either of the above. She's also a great boat to learn on because it's forgiving and stiff. There are almost always several on the used market and owner support (both from other owners and the factory) is excellent. Resale is usually good too, which gives you an out if you decide sailing isn't for you.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:49   #3

Awesome post Hannibel! Thanks for your time.

We had a feeling that those old morgans might be too cramped. We don't mind the small space, we have a 19' motorhome, but its really hard to find boats to look at when you are in the mountains of Colorado.

I love the thought of a boat that is not 50 years old! Thanks for the suggestion on the catalinas!

We should be looking and learning June 1st starting in South Carolina!

Matthew
Old 06-05-2015, 10:03   #4

We also need 6'2" headroom!

As far as selling the boat, we know we will take a hit most likely.

We don't want to be the spokespeople for atoll's wannabe thread though!

Old 06-05-2015, 10:13   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Take a look at a Grampian 34 (or perhaps the sloop version, the 2-34). Would fit all your needs in a fairly small package. Not fancy boats, and kinda rare (only made about 50 of them), but might be what you are looking for.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:28   #6

Thanks Mike!

Your posts are very thoughtful, and we are cheering you on from Colorado!

See you out there soon enough!

Matthew
Old 06-05-2015, 10:39   #7

OK, not trying to give you a hard time on this, but it's time to get off the computer and actually walk docks and get brokers to take you on boats so you can make up your own mind comparing one model against the other.

You've got to get onto the boats. Looking online is fine when you know what you want and are looking for it, but you need to get into the boat to get the feel for if its right for you or not.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:47   #8

Stu!

Thank you for the input. Lake Dillon has some great sailing boats and water, but it is still frozen last time I drove by.

We are headed to South Carolina and Florida, (should be there in a month), and dock walking will be at the top of our list....along with lessons, crewing, and begging for rides.

My ASSumption was that a broker might not want to help our little family with our budget, however, it seems like a customer is a customer?

Time and budget is short, so I am trying to just find models that fit our layout criteria......

There must be some great storage room in the cockpit of those boats that don't have quarterberths!

Matthew
Old 06-05-2015, 10:51   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Yes, what Stu said.

Pictures and internet advise are fine, as far as it goes but at the end of the day are no substitute for looking at real boats in person. Maybe time to take the motorhome to FL and get serious.

I also like the Catalina 30. One of the roomiest 30 footers you can find. Only been on one and that was 35 years ago so don't recall the layout but I think there was a quarterberth. What plans for the 1 year old? Share a bunk with mom and dad? Could be tight in the v-berths on some of the smaller boats to fit two adults (6'2"?) and a baby. Some boats have double pilot berths which might help.

If you find the right one a center cockpit/aft cabin gives you an extra cabin and privacy for the parents. Didn't the Grampian 34 come in center cockpit?

Might be over your budget but a Morgan OI36 is center cockpit, huge room and very shallow draft. Not great sailing upwind but good on a reach.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:52   #10

It's a pretty limited budget. Figure at least 50% for adding stuff and repairs. That leaves you with a pretty minimal purchase price.
With your family I would try to get 30 ft or so. Your Morgan 33 idea has some merit. It's a big boat and strong for the $.
Be careful though... you need all the important stuff to be in good shape for your budget.
Engine, hull , rudder , Tanks, sails.
There was a great deal noted a couple days ago on the "good boat buys" thread.

It appears that boat may be gone already;heres the link to "great boats at great prices" http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...118927-12.html

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:06   #11

Thanks Chechako!

A survey will be done for sure. The diesel motor, rigging, and sails all are deal breakers for us if they are not in good to great shape......

We need to be very careful so we don't make any big ($$$) mistakes.

Glad you are a fan of the Morgan O/I...they seem to have been built for what we are trying to do....

Thanks again for the link!

Matthew
Old 06-05-2015, 11:19   #12

Well....... not sure I'm a big fan of the Morgan, but if beauty is not a requirement, you need room and a secure cockpit, shallow draft and a bargain... there ya go!

It's a functional design, reported heavily built, without a bolt on keel.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:27   #13

Great advice!

Those classics are beauties

The O/I must have a great personality

Matthew
Old 06-05-2015, 11:30   #14

Sometimes you just need a good "vehicle" to get you to where you want to go. My first offshore boat was a plain jane Rawson 30. Had as much fun in that boat as any I ever had.... and it "took care of me" well.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:38   #15

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivels View Post
Thanks Chechako!

A survey will be done for sure. The diesel motor, rigging, and sails all are deal breakers for us if they are not in good to great shape......

We need to be very careful so we don't make any big ($$$) mistakes.

Glad you are a fan of the Morgan O/I...they seem to have been built for what we are trying to do....

Thanks again for the link!

Matthew

You may already be aware of this by a surveyor won't survey the engine beyond seeing if it starts. Nor will the surveyor check rigging or sails. Check it over yourself. After the survey you might want to pay a diesel mechanic to check out the engine unless you are very familiar with diesels. And a rigging survey is not too expensive.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote