Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2018, 14:32   #1

Wauquiez Hood 38 - 1980

Hello All,

I am looking into buying a 1980 Ted Hood designed Wauquiez 38. This is my first sailboat (I’m a converted powerboater) so I was hoping to get some of your opinions on this boat. I plan to use it for some offshore cruising (but no Atlantic/pacific crossings).

For my pre-purchase inspection, what should I be looking at in a 40 year old boat? I realize that there will be things that need to be fixed but I don’t want to encounter anything catastrophic that has me spending more than the value of the boat to repair.

Thanks for any advice for a first time old boat buyer
afterwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 18:35   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit
Re: Wauquiez Hood 38 - 1980

The Wauquiez Hood 38 is a great boat. We have a Wauquiez, but it isn't a Hood 38, but we looked at a couple before buying our current boat. You should get on the Wauquiez-boats Yahoo group. There will be lots of help there.

Gerhard
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 05:52   #3

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterwork View Post
Hello All,

I am looking into buying a 1980 Ted Hood designed Wauquiez 38. This is my first sailboat (I’m a converted powerboater) so I was hoping to get some of your opinions on this boat. I plan to use it for some offshore cruising (but no Atlantic/pacific crossings).

For my pre-purchase inspection, what should I be looking at in a 40 year old boat? I realize that there will be things that need to be fixed but I don’t want to encounter anything catastrophic that has me spending more than the value of the boat to repair.

Thanks for any advice for a first time old boat buyer
A fine boat, we would have probably ended up with one if a suitable price could have been agreed upon for a project of its type. From the depths of my memory when researching it I remember something about the use of steel beams somewhere in the hull or bilge which make her extremely strong but also need to be checked for integrity and rust. Could be wrong on that though.

As a converted power boater, the things I would say to remember when searching is to keep in mind the air draft and water draft of any sailboat you are considering and ensure that they are suited for your slip and intended cruising grounds when accounting for tidal variation.

Also, if you are going to be solo or shorthanded, lines led to the cockpit which prevent you from having to go forward regularly while underway are very helpful as is in boom slab reefing for the mainsail and a roller furling headsail.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 09:12   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterwork View Post
...what should I be looking at in a 40 year old boat?...
A complete refit.

Figure on spending $100,000, even if you do some of it yourself. There's a reason a 40-year old boat costs a fraction of a new one.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 09:43   #5

Boat: Boat

Quote:
I don’t want to encounter anything catastrophic that has me spending more than the value of the boat to repair.
Get a good survey, get a separate engine survey.

Sails, standing rigging/masts, engines, transmissions, and sail drives are all high $ replacement items.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 08:07   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I live on my Wauquiez Hood 38. We love it. No steel beams. Make sure centerboard trunk is properly sealed by a pro and the centerboard cable pipe is in good shape.
Inspect bulkhead near shower floor. Install inspection port on shower sump as that part of hull doesn't drain to deep bilge. Look for signs of leakage around chain plates.

Rock solid boat that sails very well.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood