Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Find water etc in the bilge?
No, never! 2 28.57%
Yes, the boat is old and made of wood, what do you expect? 2 28.57%
Yes. I have leaky through hulls. 0 0%
Yes. It is magic, I have no idea where this water is coming from! 2 28.57%
Yes. I often sail in terrifying conditions with waves washing over the entire craft! 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2022, 06:46   #1

Boat: Dufour 365 Grand Large
Water etc in Bilge?

Whenever I arrive at my boat, I always have a look in the bilge to see if there is or has been water. I do it everyday while we are on the boat. I check it before I leave.

It has been completely uninteresting. There is never water, nor anything else in the bilge. I'm glad. It's a pretty new boat, so I wouldn't expect to find anything yet I still look...
Sailer_Med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 06:52   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Water etc in Bilge?

As you should
Good habit
Old 20-10-2022, 07:02   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

I just voted yes, although I don't have a wood boat. I have a "leaky-teaky."

We always have a little water in the bilge. Comes from multiple locations. Certainly from small deck leaks when we take green seas, or from heavy rain. But our stuffing box leaks more than it should, which probably produces the most water.

Our bilge is huge. If I stand in it my shoulders just reach the cabin sole. If we ever saw water coming over the floor board, we're already sunk. I really don't worry about the little trickle that gets in.
Old 20-10-2022, 07:15   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

If you have a keel stepped mast, you will inevitably have some water in the bilge.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 07:36   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Yes from rain or waves/water over the deck.

Hulls don't leak.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 08:04   #6

Boat: Moody 376

deck stepped mast, but my Ac condenses into the bilge, and my refer/ice box drains into the bilge, and I have one thru hull that drips. Plus whenever I remove and clean my knot meter, I get water in the bilge.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 08:23   #7

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Heavy rain results in water in the bilge, also sailing in very heavy weather (water on deck). in both cases it comes down the mast, and periodically the stuffing box drips more that it should.

I have to say that because of our shockingly flat bottom one gallon of water covers a large area and is hard to remove. Sponging is the only way to get it totally dry.

But this summer we've gotten a new air conditioner and it has dried the boat amazingly, no water even while we've had a lot of rain. That's a first for us.
Old 20-10-2022, 11:00   #8

Boat: Pearson P-35

I always have a bit of water in the bilge. I never seem to be able to get rid of all of it.
Old 20-10-2022, 11:24   #9

Boat: Hunter 410

I voted yes - it's magic because the source of my water wasn't listed. My aircon drip pan drains to the bilge, so when at dock or if I run the generator long enough to use the aircon I always get a bit of water.

I also had a mysterious leak that took several months to find and finally stop. So up until a few months ago my "yes - it's magic" answer would have been accurate.

I also get some after a heavy rain. Some hatches drip a bit, some probably gets in where I don't even see it. My mast is deck stepped, but occasionally the weep holes get clogged and water comes in through the cabin top below the mast... Most boats I've been on have some kind of issue that lets water in at least some of the time. Usually no big deal.
Old 20-10-2022, 13:43   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
If you have a keel stepped mast, you will inevitably have some water in the bilge.
Hi, pcmm, This is often the case, but our current boat has a little dam around the keel-stepped mast step, and the mast drains into it, and from there into the shower sump, which is not connected to the bilge at all. The float switch is left on, and when enough has drained into the shower sump it pumps out. This boat offers the luxury of dusty bilges. I love the luxury of it. Our previous boat the shower and fridge and anchor locker all drained into the bilge.

Ann

Tags
bilge, water