Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2015, 23:28   #1

Boat: Islander I-37, MS, Tradewind 32
Wanting Info. Ref. Islander 37 MS as Suitable for Blue Water Sailing

Hello All,

I have a 197? Islander 37 MS that I'm about to refit with modern equipment for a long passage. The I-37 has already had a complete refit - regarding -- rebuilt engine, shaft packing, new 3 blade prop. & 2 spares, hull was redone, etc., etc. .

The modernization cost is around $ 14 K (+) i.e. autopilot, muti-function nav. package, radar, new VHF radio, AIS, dinghy, 3 way frig., etc. .

I've never seen the I-37 MS mentioned as a capable blue water boat. We all realize that it's the skipper and his/ her seaman experience that makes the difference. You can sink any boat by making dumb mistakes and especially so... in storm conditions.

I'm getting ready to spend $ 14 K or so ion the I-37. If it's lacking in stability in heavy seas, then, this factor needs to be looked at... as keeper or not.

Older sailboats are readily available and some real (blue water) dandy's at good prices. I could buy a true blue water boat that's -- surveyed, has modern equipment and be done with it. My I-37 is fine for intercostal, CARBIE and the like but maybe a little short in bad weather.

However, I don't how well a I-37 MS handles in rough seas and would like to hear from owners.
HighFly_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 10:53   #2

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: Wanting Info. Ref. Islander 37 MS as Suitable for Blue Water Sailing

Hi , a guy I know has a Islander 37 MS . From So. Cal. he has had it to Hawaii and Alaska and Mexico . He still sails it with his sons , he is 85 . His had some modification . Bud Taplin of Westsail fame did the mods. The main thing that Bud did to the boat was to lengthen the keel and put a skeg in front of the rudder . Bud is still in business , you can reach him here .
WESTSAIL - WORLD CRUISER YACHT CO.
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 17:14   #3

Markwesti & All,

That's a good lead/ information about the I-37 hull modification. The I-37 has an inherit 35 deg. heel & fairly heavy rudder forces.

My Fin Rudder, has been hit twice, it's sticking out there all alone. The last rudder hit... sliced about a foot off the bottom of the rudder end cap. You never know what type of debris will come your way to damage the -- prop., rudder, hull or whatever.

I'll call West Sail and get the skinny on the I-37 mod's.; this may be the way to go.

Thank You,

Avery
Old 18-05-2015, 19:24   #4

Good luck Avery , I'm sure Bud would love to talk about your boat . Be sure to ask him about La Bufadora .
Old 20-05-2015, 14:32   #5

MarkWesti and All,

Bud called me yesterday and we talked about the I-37 MS.

My Oh My, Bud goes back to the old days in 1968, he's 83 YO now. He was a young man (1968) back then and was building boats for Islander, then Yacht Craft, etc. . Several companies were building these boats in CA & all within a mile or so of each other..

He modified the I-37 MS you mentioned and sailed it to. He said it improved the sailing performance of the I-37 with the added skeg. I asked about a ball figure $$ to modify my I-37. He laughed, said that this was years (1970's) ago when folks were making $ 6.00 bucks a hour.

Also, the I-37 that he had modified, had run aground in HI. The I-37's keel took a shot but other than that...just a few scrapes, no major damage.

We moved our conversation over to... true open ocean boat. The Westsail 32 came up, so I'm looking around, who knows what I'll find or just stay with the I-37 MS.

Thanks for the Info.,

Avery
Old 20-05-2015, 17:47   #6

Yes the grounding , or as Bud puts it , the trench that La Bufadora dug . I was thinking Bud was just going to give you the specs on the mod and then you would consult with a local yard to carry out the work . But that would be lots of $$'s , no matter how you look at it . I was going to mention the W32 , but it sounded to me that you wanted a bigger boat ( I think bigger is better ) . Have you considered a W 42-43 ?
Old 20-05-2015, 18:38   #7

MarkWesti & All,

Your right, I should have asked about the spec's. of the modification. When Bud told me that this was back in the 70's and today's cost would be big bucks... I backed off. I'm thinking over $ 10 K and not worth it.

You're right again, I am thinking bigger boat and on the top 40 list of proven open ocean boats in the 37 to 45 foot range.

I'm not shopping seriously at this point. I found a Tayana 42 that I liked for $ 49 K. It's a 198X's model, nicely equipped and has been well cared for. However, it's located outside the USA and that's a headache to see the boat, have it surveyed and buy it. Its a buyer market; I'm going to be careful and make sure I buy the right boat to fit my needs.

Avery
Old 21-05-2015, 10:21   #8

One last thought on the mod. for your boat . There is a guy in the Westsail owners club that does this type of thing , well actually he does a faring type operation that is quite extensive ( on the Westsail 32 ) there is nothing structural about it . One other thing he is on the left coast . I could put you in touch with him if you want . Really getting a different boat is starting to sound better . Good luck .
Old 21-05-2015, 10:56   #9

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFly_27 View Post
MarkWesti & All,

...Your right, I should have asked about the spec's. of the modification. When Bud told me that this was back in the 70

I'm not shopping seriously at this point. I found a Tayana 42 that I liked for $ 49 K. It's a 198X's model, nicely equipped and has been well cared for. However, it's located outside the USA and that's a headache to see the boat, have it surveyed and buy it. Its a buyer market; I'm going to be careful and make sure I buy the right boat to fit my needs.

Avery

I'd be very careful and look closely at any Tayana 42 offered at such a low price. There must be a reason. That boat should sell for USD $100,000 -150,000 depending on condition and equipment. Sometime too good to be true is too good to be true.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 14:54   #10

1983 Tayana Vancouver 42 Center Cockpit sailboat for sale in Outside United States

Tayana 42,

Yes, I'm aware of the deals that are too good to be true. I've been down that road before, about 90% of the time...something is wrong. This boat is located in the British VI. It belongs to a widow, her husband has passed away. I provided the listing above, let me know what you think. If you think this boat has merit.. Pvt. Email me your thoughts... good or bad.

Again, I'd have to call, see if it's still available, arrange for a survey, fly down there and all that; yes, I know the drill.

Avery
Old 21-05-2015, 15:13   #11

Boat: Liberty 458

Only one pic is a little odd. Is this a pic of the actual boat I wonder?

Apart from being a little low in hp it looks like a good deal.

The warning bells in my head are going off...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 15:30   #12

leftbrainstuff,

I just emailed the owner for more information. The email form noted that more pictures were available and would be sent out to my email address.

Again, my alarm went off too but at this point... my check book is still in the safe... won't cost a penny to inquire.

Avery
Old 21-05-2015, 15:43   #13

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFly_27 View Post
1983 Tayana Vancouver 42 Center Cockpit sailboat for sale in Outside United States

Tayana 42,

Yes, I'm aware of the deals that are too good to be true. I've been down that road before, about 90% of the time...something is wrong. This boat is located in the British VI. It belongs to a widow, her husband has passed away. I provided the listing above, let me know what you think. If you think this boat has merit.. Pvt. Email me your thoughts... good or bad.

Again, I'd have to call, see if it's still available, arrange for a survey, fly down there and all that; yes, I know the drill.

Avery

PM sent

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 16:06   #14

Hello All,

My email to the owner (just) came back, the Tayana 42 was sold. So, I may have missed out on a good boat or may have been lucky to have not bought it... one will never know.

Thanks All for your Inputs,

Avery

Tags
blue water sailing, sail, sailing, water