Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2021, 17:38   #1

Boat: Olson 911se
Wanted: Ranger 33, J29, J30, or Olson 911s on West Coast

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a used sailboat to club race and daysail in SoCal.

If you have one of the boats listed in the title, or know of someone that does, and are interested in selling, please contact email me at steve@pactank.com.
Thanks,
Steve
Dogswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 20:28   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Wanted: Ranger 33, J29, J30, or Olson 911s on West Coast

Welcome aboard Steve! I don't know of anyone right now but I'll keep an eye out. Where are you and how far are you willing to go to get one? SB to SD?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 21:50   #3

Boat: Olson 911se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Welcome aboard Steve! I don't know of anyone right now but I'll keep an eye out. Where are you and how far are you willing to go to get one? SB to SD?
Thanks Don. Yeah, I'd like to find a boat I can bring home in a couple of days, so that means San Diego to Santa Barbara.

I've got a couple of transportation quotes that are pretty sobering:

Trucking a J30 from Florida to Long Beach CA- $12,000 What!!!
From Seattle to LB- $4,500 doable for the right boat.
From San Francisco- $3,300. Sounded good until I got a quote from a yard in Alameda to take the mast down and load the boat on a truck- $2,500. Add a similar amount to unload and splash the boat and it makes overland transport a pretty tough proposition at my budget (<$20k)

Another option would be to pay a delivery captain and crew to sail the boat south. Anyone know how much that might cost from SF or Seattle?
Dogswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 09:22   #4

I don't know costs for delivery but the trip from SF down is not a bad one at all at the right time of year. Get a couple friends to help, with good winds you'll be down in two days, surfing the whole way.
There may be something helpful in the threads in this group, if you decide to look up north.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...t+sailors.html
Personally, I'd be looking in the SF bay too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 26-09-2021, 14:00   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The sail down from SF is easy except in the winter if you don't get a break in the low pressure systems. Wouldn't bet on two days but 4 is almost a guarantee especially if you have a boat that will surf. Do it solo with a good auto pilot and battery capacity to support it or 2 man crew without it.

Made the sail 3 times, twice with good winds and hull speed sailing till after Point conception. 3rd time couldn't get a break in the lows, finally after 3 months ended up powering almost the whole way.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 18:00   #6

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogswater View Post
...Sounded good until I got a quote from a yard in Alameda to take the mast down and load the boat on a truck- $2,500. Add a similar amount to unload and splash the boat and it makes overland transport a pretty tough proposition at my budget (<$20k)...
Well, I enlisted the previous owner, a couple of friends, and a couple of yard workers (who ran the crane) and we decommishioned and put my 43' on the truck in one afternoon for a cost of about $700 (in Point Richmond). When the boat arrived in Seattle the boat yard removed the mast from the truck and put the boat in the stands for about $1000. Then another $1000 to step the mast three days later (after Judy put it together while I was painting the bottom) and launch the boat. I did all the recomissioning myself, learning as I went.

Add to that the airfare to fly three of us to Oakland and back about $700 I got my boat moved for a total of about $3400.

If you pay someone to do the things you could do yourself, it gets costly quick.
Old 26-09-2021, 18:49   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 18:51   #8

When I was a kid I did the trip with a friend in his Signet 20, and we left the Gate at daybreak, turned left and 48 hours later we were approaching Point Conception. That's averaging about 5 knots or so, maybe a little more. That little boat could surf! Ah, the blissful ignorance of youth. No one discouraged us because they thought we knew what we were doing....to me the sea has always been very forgiving Later in my Columbia 24 it was also pretty gentle, except for Point Conception, but she didn't surf very well; she sent up big bow wave. Best to avoid that point in the afternoons if you can. Or if you want to have some fun surfing a boat like the Js or Olson, go for it! By the way, if you do happen to do this trip, I'd suggest continuing on across to Becher's Bay on Santa Rosa island. That bay is protected from the NW swell but the wind, which can be brisk in the afternoons, comes whipping over the island and it's a fun place to reach back and forth. Even better than SF Bay I'd say for setting your own personal speed record; no waves and no currents. Just a fun detour.

Anyway, enough thread drift I guess. When you get the boat you'll have a blast no matter where you sail her from.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
ranger, wanted, west coast