Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2014, 16:48   #16

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Want to know what you think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMutt View Post
Well, I don't know how valid the forum opinions are, but I respect each
and everyones opinions. Some of these people have logged quite a bit
of time at sea, and they probably have been around long enough to know
a little something or two.
Have you ever heard of Nick Jaffe?
this man had no sailing experience, no qualifications, very little money, and took a Contessa 26 on a two year round the world solo expedition.
I wonder how many board members of the Cruising Club of America Technical Committee have or could have pull that one off?

Please don't take offense. I am not criticizing your statement in anyway you acturally make a great point. its just that I like to hear from
people who have been there and done that also. I will check out that book thanks for the reference.
No offense taken; you do get my point. There is always more to know, though. Look up Tania Aebi and "Maiden Voyage". Her 1985-87 adventure may have given Nick the idea. The Contessas they sailed meet many of the criteria set out in the CCA book. You also don't know that I sailed transatlantic on a 38' sloop and put in at Holy Loch (you may have heard of the Sub base there, though it's a bit tight for a Carrier), where the customs officers were tickled to have to step DOWN for their first time ever onto a boat to clear us in. Some people spend more time online than they do sailing, however. It is good to be aware of the difference.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 19:06   #17

Boat: Boatyard of Broken Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
No offense taken; you do get my point. There is always more to know, though. Look up Tania Aebi and "Maiden Voyage". Her 1985-87 adventure may have given Nick the idea. The Contessas they sailed meet many of the criteria set out in the CCA book. You also don't know that I sailed transatlantic on a 38' sloop and put in at Holy Loch (you may have heard of the Sub base there, though it's a bit tight for a Carrier), where the customs officers were tickled to have to step DOWN for their first time ever onto a boat to clear us in. Some people spend more time online than they do sailing, however. It is good to be aware of the difference.
Your point was well stated, so much so that even I could get it..lol
You said you sailed transatlantic before? its hard to beat advice from that
kind of experience. you've been there. done that. have the wet t-shirt and matching socks.
Of course you could be lying, but I don't think you are; I'm pretty good at
reading people.
I have spent quite a bit of time on the water (not just on a Carrier) but powerboats, runabouts, rowboats, commercial fishing boats, canoes, rafts, tugboats, Kyaks, everything from 10 feet to 1000.
over the years I have developed a respect for those who dare to cross oceans on small sailboats.
My top three places I never want to be on a boat..
Tazman Sea...
Labrador Sea..
Graveyard of the Atlantic off the Coast of N.C. during a storm.

It occurs to me; that those places seem to have extremly complex weather patterns, and they like to eat ships~!
think I'll stick to ICW...lol

Everyone on this forum made some very good points, from picking a
style of boat, to fit my sailing lifestyle, to taking care of the boats upkeep
for resale due to my development in taste/needs, to great reference material.

I expecially enjoyed the Cat 27 debate..informative
SaltyMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 20:18   #18

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
That book is quite dated, and in fact is simply a collection of pieces by various naval architects on various aspects of boat design, with a heavy leaning towards endorsing the designs of their own rather limited "club". For example, none of Bob Perry's designs are even mentioned, which to call an oversight would be a bit of an understatement.

The fact of the matter is that from a simple hull design parameters standpoint, most modern cruising boats have the qualities that will allow them to cross oceans. The much more important issue is build quality, or rather objectives. And that is a very broad subject, covering everything from hull/deck joints to hardware selection to outfitting. There are many "family coastal production cruisers" that with proper modifications and changes can be extremely capable boats.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote