Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2010, 10:41   #136
Marine Service Provider

Perfect Blue Water Boat

You're correct. There is no perfect blue water boat, but I think we all know what is not a blue water boat. Many of them grace the pages of our favorite sailing magazines. What really chaps me is that some of them are getting rave reviews by the magazines even though the reviewers should be having a hard time sleeping at night. I'd like to see more honesty through use of adjectives like "floating bathtub", "floating condominium", "great at the dock", etc.
Old 24-08-2010, 12:12   #137

Boat: Fantasia 35
I don't know which boat is the "best blue water cruising sailboat" simply because I have not cruised in every blue water boat out there. Although I know my Fantasia is nowhere near being the "bust blue water cruising sailboat" I love her anyway. However, if I was looking for another boat I would start with the Hans Christian, then a mid sized Pacific Seacraft, and finally the larger Baba.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 13:10   #138

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie J. View Post
You're correct. There is no perfect blue water boat, but I think we all know what is not a blue water boat. Many of them grace the pages of our favorite sailing magazines. What really chaps me is that some of them are getting rave reviews by the magazines even though the reviewers should be having a hard time sleeping at night. I'd like to see more honesty through use of adjectives like "floating bathtub", "floating condominium", "great at the dock", etc.
Very true of course. All of the sailing magazines, with the exception of Practical Sailor, are bought and paid for. You can always look at the Cruising World "Boat of the Year" awards and see that they correspond to advertising dollars. And you can see the current reputation of new Tartan quality and customer service has never been even mentioned in current reviews in the major magazines, because they are a big advertiser. They have to tread on thin ice to keep the business model working.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 15:18   #139
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
the best ever in life blue water sailboat is that in which you most enjoy cruising. is subjective, not an objective question, subject to each and every single opinion in this world and all others as well--each of us has an opinion regarding this topic, and each will be different. so, the correct answer is...ta daaaa---that boat in which you most enjoy cruising.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 16:46   #140

Any comments on the Moody 42 late 1980's vintage?

Kent
kentheighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 04:49   #141
Marine Service Provider

Best Blue Water Boat

Moodys have a great name, but I don't know much about them. I'd like to hear tho'.
Old 26-08-2010, 06:55   #142
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn
orion 50 tashing

Tashing at its peak produced for Gary Mull the ORION 50 using a 58 racing hull as base taking 8 foot off the aft deck which was 'just sticking out'.

She is fast for her weight; 36600 lbs but very stable as typical ketch.

centercockpit is low / safe and her lines for a cc are unmistakably sexy; hard to realize she is cc from a distance.

Her quality is truly amazing inside and hull has a encapsuled keel with 30% below the waterline.

Big engine working place as are her deck layout; a true cruiser which makes me smile when big sloops are trying to 'race' us

Unfortunately only 8 produced due to the death of Gary Mull; as a result Tashing started producing their own cc /touring yachts = Taswells also premium but not as fast........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat shape.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	18665   Click image for larger version

Name:	orion 50 brochure outside.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	18666  

Name:	inside brochure back boat other lay out.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	18667   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside brochure front.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	18668  

Name:	inside brochure our lay out.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	18669   Click image for larger version

Name:	orion_50_sailing site tashing.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	18670  

Old 26-08-2010, 07:29   #143
Marine Service Provider

Best Blue Water Boat

Hey Xpets, That Orion is a sweet looking boat!! When were they made and are all 8 in service? At the risk of being nosy, what kind of ticket is on a boat like that?
Old 26-08-2010, 12:00   #144
Marine Service Provider

thanks; good looks he
as for ticket she is hugly undervalued due to fact 'brand' is not known alike Oyster etc..........half their price and much better built.

*i was 5 years in boatbuilding so am entiteld to an opinion
Old 26-08-2010, 12:03   #145
Marine Service Provider

Moody is a nice /simple built boat with nothing bad about her but nothing exiting either........my opinion for what it is worth.
sailing aliblity avarage but price (far too ) high due to branding and British heritage.

when you can afford her; good for you.
Old 26-08-2010, 12:07   #146
Marine Service Provider

buy an Orion 50 , see yachtworld for details.......not mine but far better yacht for far less money
Old 19-09-2010, 07:13   #147
dtj

Any thoughts on a cutter rigged Roberts 58?
dtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 21:33   #148

Boat: Ron Holland 43
Offshore Cruising Boat

A Ron Holland 43 is my choice. Like the Orion 50, few were made (13) but all were built to order on a semi custom basis. Ours is hull number 11 and a sweeter boat I could not have imagined.

The Sailing Vessel Wren - Ron Holland 43
timatetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 22:37   #149

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
For a family: Cal40.
Excellent sea-berths for 4, nice wide side decks, good light air performance, moderate amount of liner, plenty of room for stuff, well behaved in rough conditions, affordable, plenty to be had.

For a couple: Cal34
Good sea-berths for 2, good light air performance, moderate amount of liner, plenty of room for stuff, well behaved in rough conditions, affordable, plenty to be had.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 08:22   #150

Bowman 46

I must vote for the Bowman 46 as she delivered me safely across the Atlantic. Though I suppose the Deerfoot's make incredible cruisers.
malonepa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, cruising, sailboat