Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2011, 14:39   #1

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Volvo MD6A Stuck in Forward

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with a Volvo MD6A being stuck in forward? I haven't yet done any diagnostics on it yet but will try to get to it in a week or two. I can point out the engine still turns the prop shaft and the boat moves along nicely when under power; I just can't get into neutral or reverse. It is a bit awkward at times although I suppose in a worst case situation I could use a sculling oar!

I should also point out that I have only had the boat for just over three years so I can't comment on any prior maintenance or lack of it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most helpful.

Regards,

Dave
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 14:42   #2

Re: Volvo MD6A stuck in forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with a Volvo MD6A being stuck in forward? I haven't yet done any diagnostics on it yet but will try to get to it in a week or two. I can point out the engine still turns the prop shaft and the boat moves along nicely when under power; I just can't get into neutral or reverse. It is a bit awkward at times although I suppose in a worst case situation I could use a sculling oar!

I should also point out that I have only had the boat for just over three years so I can't comment on any prior maintenance or lack of it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most helpful.

Regards,

Dave

When you say stuck in forward... do you mean you can not shift into neutral or reverse from the helm? Have you seen that the gear can't change by the engine where the helm control connects with the shift cable?

have you tried to manually (from the engine area) pushing the gear into neutral?

I have seen this before, and it was the result of a broken shift cable....

Best of luck.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 14:55   #3

Re: Volvo MD6A stuck in forward

Hello H2Oman and thank you for your suggestion. I replaced the shift cable the year prior and that was working very well. I forgot to mention that I did check the linkage and it is fine. I also tried to manually shift into neutral from the engine compartment as you suggested but it wouldn't shift.
Old 16-09-2011, 15:09   #4

Re: Volvo MD6A Stuck in Forward

Ah.. ok, so we are closer... Do you have the engine service manual? Here is a copy.
I have heard that alignment problems can mash the cones into the reverse gear.. Due to alignment or wearing.

I shall presume that you have regularly checked the oil, and that is not an issue..

Sound like you will have to take it apart....

Good luck.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 15:23   #5

Re: Volvo MD6A Stuck in Forward

Thank you very much. I do have the service manual. I will have to research this a little more. I'd have to take it apart with the engine being all right and I am not sure I want to do this much work on this engine. I am undecided about keeping this engine or replacing it.

The oil is an issue. I didn't check it regularly the first year but was good the second and third years. It is possible that it was low when I bought it and that might be the issue. Thanks again for your help.

Tags
volvo