Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2014, 19:24   #46

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Vessels to consider for circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
That is the nicest interior I have seen on any Westsails, and shows someone cared a lot for his or her boat! Extraordinary details and woodwork.

The old fashioned hanging lights don't bother me, I would keep them for their salty charm. The deck prisms bring in a lot of light too. Salty!

I enjoyed viewing it.
Hello Steady Hand,

I see we hold different views... (opinions are like a*******, everybody's got one and they all stink.) Poor Guy was a slave to a varnish tin! I would rather be sailing. :big grin:

Hence, Amels have no teak, no hanging lights but easily cleaned flat wood surfaces where possible. No carvings or hokie items. However, I agree that some folks do not think they are the prettiest thing in boatie land...

I like your posts.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 19:25   #47

Boat: CD25

How about a cape dory 36?
There is one listed on the cape dory message board in Panama
Check it out

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 19:32   #48

Boat: Cabo Rico 45 build #005
Send a message via Skype™ to stevec195

Check out author John Vigor's "20 boats you can sail anywhere in the world" most of these are significantly smaller but no less capable than what you have been looking at.
Sounds fun!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
stevec195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 20:42   #49
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Hello Steady Hand,

I see we hold different views... (opinions are like a*******, everybody's got one and they all stink.) Poor Guy was a slave to a varnish tin! I would rather be sailing. :big grin:

Hence, Amels have no teak, no hanging lights but easily cleaned flat wood surfaces where possible. No carvings or hokie items. However, I agree that some folks do not think they are the prettiest thing in boatie land...

I like your posts.
Hey, I am glad someone likes my posts here.

Differences of opinion are what make life and discussions (and forums) interesting.

I think we do share more in common (for likes) than you might know. I happen to like the interior of the Amels I have looked at (over 20 so far) and I was impressed and found the styling attractive (to me). There is some wood in the interiors of Amels that looks nice too. The lack of teak decks and external teak trim is a plus and the use of synthetic deck materials (non-skid that looks like "faux teak")…I can't recall what it is called now….is fine with me too (though some think it looks horrible).

As for the interior of the Westsail I remarked on earlier, I think it looks much better (in condition) that most I have seen, and some look very old, tired, crude, and some look cheaply finished inside. I think the owner of the linked boat has taken obvious care, and time and effort to make the boat his (or her) own, and I can appreciate that too. Just like I can admire a well crafted custom car (e.g. a lowrider with a chop top and flame paint job) I can admire the work someone puts extra work into a boat, even if their chosen style is not my personal favorite or one I might own some day.

Like I said, I like most boats.

I see all boats as expressions of the differences among people (designers and buyers) and those differences are what make people and boats interesting to me.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 20:47   #50
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Glambx:

Others have already mentioned some books to read and the John McNeal website that has a list of his recommended boats (Mahina something site). You know about the Baldwin Atom site, which has his list of boats.

There is another site you can view with brief descriptions of boats and side view illustrations of all the boats (something I find helpful when learning about boats that are new to me). The focus is on cruising boats and many are described. Many are older boats too (1980s era are common).

Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org
Old 16-12-2014, 00:49   #51

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

A tip, & perhaps topic for another thread. Have you worked up a list of attributes for what you want in a vessel as yet? If not, I'd suggest doing so, as it REALLY helps to get your sense of reason & necessity, balance out the "falling head over heals syndrome".

Mine's prioritized by feature category, & is on both; full size sheets of paper, as well as some 3x5 cards, hole punched for a ring through them. AKA the pocket sized version. And I made'em up years ago, in pencil, not pen, so that I could adjust things, or add them as tastes changed. Although I imagine that a smart phone, or tablet (and spread sheet) would work too.

And if you're feeling brave, you could post said list on here for constructive critique, as well as ideas on key things which you may have missed. Or unique, but highly useful things which other folks have come up with.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 08:17   #52

Boat: Cal 2-46

Wow; holy responses!

Sorry everyone.. been wrapping up the house sale stuff the last couple days. I'll read and respond to everyone shortly!

In the meantime that Westsail 43 is gorgeous and looks like it was well cared for (and freshwater!), though it does seem a bit superfluous to have an interior helm station given the latitudes I'll be at.

A bit outside my price range and in the wrong direction for my road trip, but I'll get in contact with the broker and maybe arrange a flight to go see her. Still going through all the other listings and links everyone has posted.
glambx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 08:35   #53

Boat: Scout 30

I think you'll appreciate an interior helm station at any latitude, especially if you're short handed. Being out in the weather can really wear out whoever's on watch. I wonder if you can see the sails from inside. Regarding price remember it's a buyer's market.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 08:37   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

We just had a westsail 40 something sell for 30k on the slip next to mine. New owner is Scottish and happy as a clam. Fixing it up to sail here 'ome. That's Oregon to Scotland BTW.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 08:59   #55

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Take a look at the Newport 41.

Easy single / short handed sailing and faster than many other production boats of the same general spec.

Nicely equipped / outfitted will put you in the 60K range.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 09:24   #56

I don't find interior teak to be much maintenance at all. Once in a blue moon maybe....
I'm still liking the Fast Passage 39, available well equipped for well under 100k, bill garden design... and Tolly are well known for their construction...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fast_passage_39_drawing.gif
Views:	215
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	93739  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 10:53   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Beautiful Boat! Hopefully you can find one of 30 something left in the world.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 13:38   #58

Boat: Gulf Star Texas 50 ft.

We sail a 50 ft GulfStar Texas, before that a Islander 36. They are both great boats.
r.bideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 20:05   #59
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Glambx,

Since you are considering single handing, and have some questions about handling a boat (of whatever size), AND you like the traditional styling of a Westsail, you might like this following boat.

Here is a link to a Tashiba 31 that would be a nice boat for a single sailor, has furling sails, electric winch, good sized tanks for water and fuel, and it only costs $49K asking. According to the photos, the interior looks like new. I like the styling (for traditional styled boats) and the berths that are 6'4" or longer w/generous headroom (6'3").

It is located in Michigan, so not too far from you to check out or transport or deliver to your home port in Canada.
1986 Tashiba 31' Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: (90 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (40 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (30 Gallons)

The yacht's designer, Robert Perry, had this to say about the Tashiba 31:

In his book Yacht Design by Perry he reflects, “I think the Tashiba 31 and 36 mark the best boats I ever designed with modified full keels. The boats were fast, close-winded, stiff, and well balanced. I constantly got calls from owners telling me how they had “beat” a local contemporary design.”

More info on this boat design here:
The Tashiba 31 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tashiba 31 PLAN.gif
Views:	194
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	93780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tashiba 31 DOCK.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	93781  

Old 16-12-2014, 21:27   #60
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a photo of a Tashiba 31 saloon (sistership, not the same boat linked above). It looks like a nice place to spend some time, even live aboard for a long voyage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tashiba 31 Saloon.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	93785  

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation