Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 17:56   #166

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Vendee Globe 2016 - Bon Voyage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
I should qualify this statement. Macif is a new boat while Sodebo is the old Geronimo which underwent a a massive refit.
Yes but not only a refit, the boat was modified, including hull and amas alterations. Not a new boat but "almost" a new boat. 14 months on the shipyard doing modifications.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 18:37   #167

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

That is what I meant. They rebuilt the boat.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 06:51   #168

Truly amazing that fight between Armel and Alex, like if they were near the finish line!!!! Their 24 hours run is near 500nm, more 100 than anybody else and it seems to me they are not sailing in better sailing conditions than some others.

That is what I was talking about some days ago: Bad weather on the way for the ones on the group where Rich Wilson is. I hope they can maintain an average speed over 15K, that means 360nm a day:

"This forecast means that war is about to begin in the Atlantic with fifty-knot squalls, mountainous seas and darkening skies. A nasty cold front is moving in from the west at around fifteen knots, which means that the pack will gradually be affected until they enter the Indian Ocean. They must avoid getting engulfed by this system and try to stay on its northern edge between 35° and 37°S, as further down, there will be 55-knot winds off Tristan da Cunha.
Once this low has sunk into the depths of the Antarctic, a second even livelier low pressure system will take over below the Cape of Good Hope in the middle of the week. And then a third, which looks like being slightly quieter, but which could lead to the seas being whipped up in every direction around Marion and Prince-Edward Islands. NW’ly waves with a SW’ly swell in the warm Agulhas current coming down from Mozambique with the Ice Wall limiting their route to 43°S… In short, the men and their boats will be experiencing extremely tough conditions in these icy, strong SW’ly winds…"

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/1...-is-on-its-way
Old 30-11-2016, 06:57   #169

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Yeah, that weather on the horizon... yikes.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 08:53   #170

Shiraishi climbed his mast to mess with his sensors. Those are some real tall rigs to climb solo.

Really like this guy. He's always cheerful and says only nicer things about competitors and sending them good vibes.
Old 30-11-2016, 09:47   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Shiraishi climbed his mast to mess with his sensors. Those are some real tall rigs to climb solo.

Really like this guy. He's always cheerful and says only nicer things about competitors and sending them good vibes.
If it is difficult for a French to find the sponsors to make a Vendee Globe is almost impossible. This is for him the dream of a lifetime that he is preparing since he was almost a kid.

Notice the name of the boat: Spirit of Yukoh, an homage to his mentor, Yukoh Tada, the Toquio taxi driver that was the first of the solo japonese racers.

He made Harakiri after having made a very bad 2nd leg on the 1990-1991 BOC Challenge, on a boat designed and built by himself (he capsized 5 times) being forced to abandon. He had won previously on the 1982-83 BOC Challenge (circumnavigation race) the 1st place for boats till 50ft and had huge hopes on his new boats and on that race.

Yukoh was also quite a character and very friendly guy that liked to party and play his sax for other sailors as well as invite them to eat japonese delicacies. He was a poet too.

There are some guys and some stories that are impossible to forget
Old 30-11-2016, 09:50   #172

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Meanwhile Bertrand stopped at Noronha to try and find out what causes the vibrations. My wild guess is one of the foils could be delaminating. I hope he will find a way to keep on going.

His boat run over something off Portugal. Correct me if I am wrong but I think Bertrand crashed into something last time and was forced to retire.

Then again it makes me wonder why so many boats hit objects in waters adjacent to Portugal and then close to Brasil. Is that how some nations get rid of their excessive sofas and dead cows?

Otherwise, tough luck.

Fingers crossed for all of them.

b.
"... get rid of excess sofas and dead cows..."

Hilarious. I haven't laughed so much in days. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 10:11   #173

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

That is an awesome boat! Love the info about Shiraishi.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 18:17   #174

Just saw footage taken from a French helicopter from a destroyer. Alex Thomson sure is pushing it hard on starboard tact - the foiless sailing looks very unnatural on his boat and the weatherhelm must beer immense... Saw the bow dig deep a couple of times and in lesser boats I'm sure it would have broached.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:26   #175

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Just saw footage taken from a French helicopter from a destroyer. Alex Thomson sure is pushing it hard on starboard tact - the foiless sailing looks very unnatural on his boat and the weatherhelm must beer immense... Saw the bow dig deep a couple of times and in lesser boats I'm sure it would have broached.
Fantastic footage for sure. Le cleach (ALC) seems to be sailing pretty flat and Alex (AT)is pushing HB (hugo boss)for all she is worth to make up for his broken wing. Looks like the low road was the only option for them and has paid off.

https://youtu.be/Aks2lK7-EKM

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...369695960&_rdr

The different sail plans are interesting, Alex is running a FR0 (fractional code 0) which seems to help lift the bow, and of course provides a lot of HP at a low centre of effort, it being set off the bowsprit (plus the staysail) probably helps balance, and reduces weather helm

My brother wrote a good article about his use of this combo a few years ago. http://www.nz.northsails.com/tabid/8...x?news_id=4943

He worked with Alex optimising the sail wardrobe back when hugo Boss had north sails, he also sailed from NZ to cape horn on HB (she lost her rig on the way...)and did a Sydney Hobart on her. So its interesting that she has this combo now, where Le clech has a more conventional sailplan.

Alex has just gybed and is back on starboard, he has to be pretty happy about that, getting his good wing wet again. He is hard driving, and its hard to know if alex's success holding on to ALC is due to better sailing and a good boat, or just that he is pushing the crap out of her while ALC is taking it easy?
Old 01-12-2016, 03:43   #176

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Vendee Globe 2016 - Bon Voyage!

Just sailed my Beneteau 51 from nanny cay to green cay distance of 36 nm in 20-25 doing 9-10 knts all the way and thought it was good sailing. Watching this footage from the French navy heli I'm overwhelmed by what these two sailors are doing out there. And how about the boats wow.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:06   #177

Quote:
Alex is pushing much more the boat than Armel. I hope he can maintain it on one piece, Alex goes overpowered on those images, on the limit of broaching. Absolutely fantastic what that boat can take, regarding sail power without broaching.

But the fact is that, limping or not, he is able to go at the same pace: Cheers to Alex!
Old 01-12-2016, 05:19   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
... He is hard driving, and its hard to know if alex's success holding on to ALC is due to better sailing and a good boat, or just that he is pushing the crap out of her while ALC is taking it easy?
A very good boat but he is putting a lot more stress on the boat than Armel to keep up due to that damaged foil.

The longer video with Armel and the longer with Alex in HD:

Old 01-12-2016, 07:49   #179

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Well, whatever Alex was doing he has since overtaken the lead. Or should I say they are match racing in the southern ocean and they are really neck and neck. Alex is one very experienced ocean racer and I am sure he knows what he is doing better than the armchair critics on CF.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 13:39   #180

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Well, whatever Alex was doing he has since overtaken the lead. Or should I say they are match racing in the southern ocean and they are really neck and neck. Alex is one very experienced ocean racer and I am sure he knows what he is doing better than the armchair critics on CF.
I perfer the term 'computer commentators'... I am certainly in awe of the way he is pushing.

Looks like seb is set to claw back some miles and do an awesome days run, hooking into a front nicely while the leaders struggle to stay ahead of the light airs chasing them.

ALC's biggest risk is breaking the boat, not AT. Where AT has to give it his all to have a chance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1480628263638.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	137315