Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2016, 04:33   #136
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Vendee Globe 2016 - Bon Voyage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Looking at the race, as I said previously, next days are going to be very interesting. I said that Alex could do two things, continue on the same course and lose miles, or dive for the cape and lose miles anyway.

He dived for the cape, lost half the advantage he had but it is in my opinion the one that is in better position for the next hours....the two next days are not going to be easy in what regards routing for none of the three boats on the head of the race. It will be interesting.
Yes, totally agree...at this posting Alex is only 36nm ahead and averaging about half a knot slower.
A lot is going to depend on his tack but suspect he will be overtaken within next 2 days.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 06:24   #137

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

(...)

At any rate, Pollux is right... sometimes determination and desire can get you through the hard spots that would cause others to quit.

(...)
Yep. Perseverance is good. Just in Morgan's case it is neither enough nor safe.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 09:27   #138

Boat: Comet 41s

This was what I was talking about yesterday:
News - Tactical day for the leaders - Vendée Globe 2016-2017

Interesting stuff in what regards routing and strategical moves. Alex hesitated last night, went for the coast than change ideas and went south while Armel made a perfect course regarding the wind. Play the tracker back and see how Armel has the boat always where there is more wind pressure.

Armel, with his huge Figaro experience is better than Alex at this play, he won big last night over Alex and is now at only 30nm.

More of these conditions ahead with lots of small highs and wind holes that imply a sinuous course always looking for the best spot where there are more wind pressure and I believe Armel is going to continue winning over Alex.

The third, Sebastien Josse is losing miles not only to Armel but also to Alex. They gave the impression that Josse had managed to sort out the problem he had with his foils after hitting something, but maybe not.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 15:02   #139
CF Adviser

Polux, ....how much of this incredible real time weather intelligence and professional analysis is available to the skipper via his support team?

If all of it, I question whether the spirit of a RTW sailing race is being compromised by this shore side management?

In Formula One, they have now restricted how much info they can give the driver. What is the situation on this race?
Old 25-11-2016, 17:48   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Polux, ....how much of this incredible real time weather intelligence and professional analysis is available to the skipper via his support team?

If all of it, I question whether the spirit of a RTW sailing race is being compromised by this shore side management?

In Formula One, they have now restricted how much info they can give the driver. What is the situation on this race?
Easy answer: none

That is what makes this race interesting they have not only to take care of the boar but have to do all routing. That's why I say Armel is going probably to win. He is not only a great sailor, has a fast boat and is the best at routing.

I mean if he manages to bring the boat back to France in one piece
Old 26-11-2016, 02:44   #141
CF Adviser

Thanks... That makes it a GREAT race
Old 26-11-2016, 03:49   #142

And we have a new leader, Armel on the unstable winds won again big over Alex.

Finished those small winds, Armel is going to take the speedway on the big winds of the South.

Big winds are going to hit the 2nd and 3rd group. Have a look:
Vendée Globe 2016-2017 Windyty Tracker

The 2nd group as a change to win some miles to Alex and Armel, if the have the balls (i am sure they have) and don't break the boats.

"Ruyant puts foot down through South Atlantic: French sailor Thomas Ruyant was this morning knocking off the miles to the Cape of Good Hope as he blasts south-east ahead of a quick-moving depression....The front is around 50 miles behind and it’s making about the same speed as us. For the past 48 hours we’ve been through the entire sail wardrobe and right now I’m sailing under reefed main and J2 with 25 to 30 knots of NNW’ly and the occasional gust."

He is going already over 20k average.

A word for Didac Costa, the firefighter from Barcelona, that departed 4 days later and is steadily winning 20nm a day over many boats ahead of him, on an old boat. One of the heroes of this race if he can keep the Rhythm. Soon he will be overtaking boats.
Old 26-11-2016, 05:17   #143

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

And now Alex is back in front :thumbup:

With some serious hard work and a fair bit of luck they both (or one of them) just might break thoough the light airs imbeded in the front ahead and get into the strengthening NE/northerly conditioms ahead. Very exciting stuff!

If they do break through HB will find it tough with his broken wing until the wind shuffles further aft.

Then again they could just end up parked until the lights go green again.

This is by far the best tracker I've found. http://gis.ee/vg/

You can click on the world icon to get the lat/long grid up. This also adds a crude dead reckoning projection line to sync with the forcast time, very handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1480161842201.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	136963  
Old 26-11-2016, 07:37   #144
CF Adviser

Thanks Snowpetrel..... This really is "armchair sailing" at its best!
Old 26-11-2016, 07:42   #145

Quote:
Easy answer: none

That is what makes this race interesting they have not only to take care of the boar but have to do all routing. That's why I say Armel is going probably to win. He is not only a great sailor, has a fast boat and is the best at routing.

I mean if he manages to bring the boat back to France in one piece
Yes.

Here is a short material from VG related to theses matters:

News - How Jean-Yves Bernot helps the skippers work on their weather strategy - Vendée Globe 2016-2017

Interestingly, all top teams have pro routers onboard. Huge amt of work is done pre departure by the teams with the skipper being just the tip of the iceberg that is visible to the public.

Off course having a big team is either a big budget or else a big following (and some budget). But even with strong following many things cannot be done without piles of money. This is visible especially well in equipment department.

You can see where the teams are not all that big there are flops in specific areas - physical preparation of the skipper, equipment failures, and routing choices too.

Cheers,
b.
Old 26-11-2016, 07:47   #146

This image if from today's VG updates. I like the view of the beam above Thomas' head. I think it is carbon/foam design. I like thinking of the loads that justify these scantlings and the ultimate fragility of human body.

Image attribution: Vendee Globe.

Big hug to all VG lovers,
b.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thomas-ruyant-le-souffle-du-nord-pour-le-projet-imagine-r-1680-1200.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	136974  
Old 26-11-2016, 12:00   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
And now Alex is back in front :thumbup:

With some serious hard work and a fair bit of luck they both (or one of them) just might break thoough the light airs imbeded in the front ahead and get into the strengthening NE/northerly conditioms ahead. Very exciting stuff!

If they do break through HB will find it tough with his broken wing until the wind shuffles further aft.

Then again they could just end up parked until the lights go green again.

This is by far the best tracker I've found. Vendée Globe 2016-2017 Windyty Tracker

You can click on the world icon to get the lat/long grid up. This also adds a crude dead reckoning projection line to sync with the forcast time, very handy.
The only problem with that one (I use it for sailing) is that it does not allow play back, but gives a more detailed and comprehensible information, no doubt.

We can see there that they will have a high ahead and lots of upwind sailing. I believe they will have to go North to find a passage. Very tricky to negotiate that and the others behind will be recovering fast because they will get stormy downwind winds.

They are becoming much closer and that is great for the race....and for us
Old 26-11-2016, 12:36   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes.

Here is a short material from VG related to theses matters:

News - How Jean-Yves Bernot helps the skippers work on their weather strategy - Vendée Globe 2016-2017

Interestingly, all top teams have pro routers onboard. Huge amt of work is done pre departure by the teams with the skipper being just the tip of the iceberg that is visible to the public.

Off course having a big team is either a big budget or else a big following (and some budget). But even with strong following many things cannot be done without piles of money. This is visible especially well in equipment department.

You can see where the teams are not all that big there are flops in specific areas - physical preparation of the skipper, equipment failures, and routing choices too.

Cheers,
b.
Sure, they have the best possible equipment on board (computer program routing) but no help comes from outside and I can tell you that if those classes for the vendee sailors were useful, they were not for the top sailors that know everything that is to know about it.

Sure a big preparation and a team to support that preparation (boat, physical) is fundamental, but once they sail out, it is finished. No more help, no more support team. One of the good things with this race and that makes it possible so many boats racing it is that his costs for boat are a fraction of the costs of a VOR.

Sure the boats cost about the same, maybe the VOR a bit less since they are all the same (terrible mistake) but the team costs, the support team costs and the logistic puts the overall price at several times what is needed, boat by boat, to make the vendee (with a new boat).

One of those that has nothing to learn about the weather and routing (4 vendee globes) and an incredible number of ocean solo races, is Le Cam. He is is justifiable known to be one of the funniest sailors around and a great guy. Read this for a good laugh:

"Jean Le Cam (Finistere Mer Vent): “I’ve been putting in stacks of manoeuvres of late! A successful manoeuvre is one where you don’t have any issues, which isn’t easy on your own, but I’m happy when it comes off.

It’s always important to think the manoeuvre through first and check everything’s ready to go. Personally, I always go through it in my head first, but it’s hard to know what’s normal when you’re a human!

People think you’re crazy doing 4 Vendee Globes but isn’t it better to circle the earth than go round in circles at home?Maybe us Frenchies are made differently. In any case, it’d be very dull if we were all the same!

Another good thing about doing a Vendee Globe is that nobody can see you when you stuff up! Last night I was constantly making sail changes, the wind going from 35 to 15 knots in the blink of an eye. I finally settled with 2 reefs in the main and ORC, watched it for a while longer and then got some shut-eye. Unfortunately, I then slept through my alarm and woke up 5 hours later in very calm conditions… still under two reefs and ORC… the whole works!

Later on, it was pretty breezy under gennaker and I hit the remote to bear away and nothing happened. I was on stand-by mode apparently so we broached right over till we were horizontal, me at the foot of the mast. That was bad enough, but then I did it twice! Still, if you’re going to make a silly mistake, better to do it twice just to be sure!

If you can, read it in French, it is two time funnier and pretty much impossible to translate without losing a lot:
Actualités - Vacations : la flotte sur 3800 milles, les leaders au coude à coude - Vendée Globe 2016-2017
Old 26-11-2016, 14:38   #149

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Wow, what a beautiful bit of routing, these boats are so fast in the light, 7-8 knots of wind and they are doing near 13 knots at 140-150 TWA!

Looks like they are both possibly going to get through the gap and be on their way again soon. They might have enough Northerlies to carry them along the ice limit and down towards Kergaulan Islands. These guys haven't really parked at all since the northern hemisphere. What a hectic ride for them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1480195746493.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	136985  
Old 26-11-2016, 15:23   #150

Quote:

Jean le Cam:

"People think you’re crazy doing 4 Vendee Globes but isn’t it better to circle the earth than go round in circles at home? Maybe us Frenchies are made differently. In any case, it’d be very dull if we were all the same!"
Exactly the quote I intended to re-post from VG website today when my Internet ebbed (literally - we have no link at low tide)!

My French is no where good enough ;-( to appreciate this in original. But I am working on it. It is just that learning languages at my age is not as fast and easy as it was (self-edit) years ago. Few things are. C'est la vie!

Now off to watch the vendeeglobetv channel on youtube - I like those 1 or 2 minute shorts posted daily by many skippers - fun to watch and see the varied personalities but also great way to improve my French (and English).

BTW Not sure why dailymotion was selected as the main video distribution channel. Frankly, dailymotion is about the only thing that sucks big way on VG website. Or at least this is the case for me, in Spain.

Cheers,
b.