Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2020, 07:47   #121

Boat: Jeaunneau
Re: Vendee 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecapon View Post
Has anyone else been following I find him to be really insightful and entertaining

I digg it
Seawolfflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 17:57   #122

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

You gotta try an put yourself in this position....do you go for boat speed or better tactical position, but slower speed, for later in the week.....

There are some iffy spots up ahead, then you get into the southern ocean, where it will basically be a sleigh ride....

My understanding is that Alex's boat is configure for the southern ocean and not so much a tacking duel in the Atlantic....

Jean Le Cam remains the dark horse here....his boat is capable of things that the other's aren't...

Until these boats round Cape Horn, I think it's a bit premature to speculate about who might wind this thing...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 08:48   #123
s/v Jeune Amelie

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nelson/Marek 50

I think it's a bit premature until the end of the race! You never, ever know what could possibly happen out there.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 15:07   #124

lead boats are down to doing 5-6 knots....that would irk me no end.....work yer arse off to get ahead and then sail into a hole and have the rest of the fleet catch up..
Old 21-11-2020, 15:34   #125

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
lead boats are down to doing 5-6 knots....that would irk me no end.....work yer arse off to get ahead and then sail into a hole and have the rest of the fleet catch up..
A feature of yacht racing at ALL levels. If you can't handle this sort of upset, yacht racing is gonna be a real trial for you.

Jim
Old 21-11-2020, 15:43   #126

Boat: I can’t use epoxy. Please don’t suggest it. It can kill me. 50’ performance cat

Quote:
Makes it sooo exciting that not only boat engineering, weather and sailing ability are important but that luck and/or randomness is part of the situation.
Chotu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 18:53   #127

ayr, I've done a fair amount of races in my time, all handicapped races off course, and right there is where the problem starts....then throw in weather anomalies, age of boats, age of sails, experience of crew, etc, and it becomes a bit of a crap shoot in the end.

even in one-off racing, where all boats are "supposed" to be equal.....they aren't......

it's a tough sport, where advances sometimes are measured in 1/100th of a knot....and being on the wrong side of the course at the wrong time can often spell the end for you.

It's interesting to note, that different Imoca boats have a different take on what makes the perfect Imoca foil....I'm sure they have all been tank tested, computer modeled, etc, yet, there seems to be no common denominator here.

I saw an interesting program on how the sails for these Imoco boats are made....all computer designed off course, and constructed with the latest possible gadgetry and and materials...

but the weather remains out of reach for computer manipulation and levels the field so to speak...

still, this race has many miles to go, and undoubtably, we'll see several lead changes yet to come.

while I'm rooting for Alex, the French are no slouch in this game and they are the one's to beat.

Gonna be a fun race......
Old 21-11-2020, 19:11   #128

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Alex T / HB has announced that HB has an undefined structural concern. No further info.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 19:37   #129

Don’t forget Jean le Cam is 61 years old. I am myself 60 and in the morning when I try to get up I have to sit on the bed for a minute or two before I can stand
DomPerignon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 23:42   #130

Boat: Waiting patiently...

Oh man. Guy just can't catch a break. Looks like he has slowed but there is not much you can fix on these boats without outside assistance. For a Racer to slow means they know they are in trouble.

Damn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
Alex T / HB has announced that HB has an undefined structural concern. No further info.
kevinof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 03:46   #131

Boat: KIRIE Feeling32 DI

The official message from ALEX THOMSON - TEAM STATEMENT

At approximately 19:00 UTC on Saturday 21st November, Alex notified the team on shore of a possible structural issue onboard the HUGO BOSS boat.

At the time, Alex was located approximately 800 miles east of Rio de Janeiro in the South Atlantic ocean, and was 13 days into the Vendée Globe round-the-world yacht race.

Alex and the team, together with our appointed naval architects and structural engineers, are now working together to assess the extent of the structural issue and to determine a repair programme and timeline.

Alex is safe and well onboard, and in regular dialogue with the team. The Vendée Globe race organisation has been notified and is being kept well informed.

We kindly ask that members of the public refrain from attempting to contact the team at this time. A further update will be released on Sunday 22nd November.
courtox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 04:53   #132

Boat: KIRIE Feeling32 DI

Yesterday evening (Saturday 21st November), while Alex was carrying out a routine inspection onboard HUGO BOSS, he spotted what he believed to be some structural damage in the bow area of the boat. He immediately notified myself and the team on shore, and we provided clear instructions to allow him to carry out a full inspection of the damage.

“That inspection has revealed some structural damage to a longitudinal beam at the front of the boat. The damage appears to be isolated to that area alone. It is yet unclear what caused this damage. There have been no incidents of concern onboard the boat during the race so far.

“Together with our structural engineers and naval architects, we worked through the night to put together a full repair plan for Alex. During this time, Alex took some rest onboard in order to prepare to begin that repair work this morning.

“Alex has now put the boat into a safe position to manage the sea state in order to reduce movement onboard while he carries out the repair. He has all the necessary materials onboard, a detailed plan to follow, and a team of world class engineers advising him. We are therefore confident in his ability to complete the repair.

“Our objective is to carry out the necessary repair swiftly and effectively, in order to minimise the miles lost and resume racing again.

“A further update will follow from the team in due course”.
courtox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 05:23   #133

Boat: Waiting patiently...

Update
- it's a failure of some stringers in the bow (which is encouraging). He's making repairs and he probably headed SW to take the impact load off that side of the boat.

https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/bl...2/team-update/
kevinof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 06:06   #134

I've read elsewhere that the bow of these Imoca boats take a tremendous hammering.
Alex's boat, like others have had the bow "re-shaped", which may have led to the problem, but that is simply a guess on my part....

I'm sure that he'll fix it and get back in the game....
Old 22-11-2020, 06:21   #135

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Yes, the bows take an aweful beating, and yes he will most likely fix it (for now).

The other thing is that they write about a longitudinal stringer. That is worrying to some to some extent, as the rigging loads are extremely high and you certainly don't want to risk a longitudinal failure which, in the end, may cost you the mast and more.

Let's hope that he can repair it well enough. They are not even in the southern ocean.....
Quote:
I've read elsewhere that the bow of these Imoca boats take a tremendous hammering.
Alex's boat, like others have had the bow "re-shaped", which may have led to the problem, but that is simply a guess on my part....

I'm sure that he'll fix it and get back in the game....
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote