Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2021, 06:04   #616
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Vendee 2020

don't forget Boris has a 6 hr time allowance...will it be enough ???
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 14:11   #617
Marine Service Provider

I'd like to know how these time allowances are worked out. It can't be a matter of only time. Boatspeed, or potential boat speed has to be factored in.
For instance, if at the time of the Kevin rescue, Le Cam was doing 20 knots and it took him 20 hours, that is a distance of 400 miles lost, but if he was doing only 10 knots, that is a distance of 200 miles lost.

So now he has a 16.15 hr credit. If he can sail at 20 knots, for this period of time,
He can make up 323 miles. If he can only manage 10 knots....that is 162 miles.
At present time he is about 380 miles behind the leader, but this can also change.

Some kind of " average" speed, time, sea condition, etc, would likely have been used.

I'd be interested to know if anyone on this thread could throw some light on this.
Old 22-01-2021, 15:00   #618

Boat: Marine Trader 41 Summer Wind 1

Thought I would put plug in for the Sea wolves channel on you tube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiL...xblWGM-vU7Dq-A

Capt'n Florian from Amsterdam holds a daily show on his youtube channel with interesting insights on the race, worth watching.
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 13:36   #619

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I'd like to know how these time allowances are worked out. It can't be a matter of only time. Boatspeed, or potential boat speed has to be factored in.
For instance, if at the time of the Kevin rescue, Le Cam was doing 20 knots and it took him 20 hours, that is a distance of 400 miles lost, but if he was doing only 10 knots, that is a distance of 200 miles lost.

So now he has a 16.15 hr credit. If he can sail at 20 knots, for this period of time,
At present time he is about 380 miles behind the leader, but this can also change.

Some kind of " average" speed, time, sea condition, etc, would likely have been used.

I'd be interested to know if anyone on this thread could throw some light on this.
There’ll be some form of calculation where they considered the ave speed prior to being involved in the rescue, what the wind / waves did for the time period of the rescue, etc etc

All getting very, very close now. Yannick is close as well (150nm back) and has 10 hrs of redress. These boats should continue at well over 15kts the rest of the way up the Portuguese coast so we’re talking down to the wire stuff!!!!

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 17:48   #620

Boat: Sabre 402

A jury of people from the Vendée Globe race committee worked up the redress time alloted to the three boats that aided in the search and rescue. I found this on the Vendée Globe site, https://www.vendeeglobe.org/fr/espac...bleau-officiel though it doesn't explain exactly how they came to their decision:

Comité de course
Demande de Réparation MON10 Seaexplorer YCM
La direction de course a demandé à MON10 de se détourner sur la position de FRA85 en détresse. La progression de MON10 dans la course a été significativement aggravée sans faute de sa part pour aller donner de l’aide à FRA85 conformément à la RCV 1.1. Les conditions pour donner réparation sont remplies (RCV 62.1 (c)).
RM asked MON10 to divert to the position of FRA85 in distress. MON10’s progress in the race was made significantly worse through no fault of her own giving help to FRA85 in compliance with RRS 1.1. The conditions to give redress are met (RRS 62.1(c)).
Le Jury international à la majorité donne réparation à MON10 comme suit : L'heure d'arrivée de MON10 sera l'heure à laquelle il termine moins 6 heures.
The international jury by majority decision gives redress to MON10 as follow: The finishing time of MON10 will be the time she finishes less 6 hours.
Comité de course
Demande de Réparation FRA17 Maitre Coq
La direction de course a demandé à FRA17 de se détourner sur la position de FRA85 en détresse. La progression de FRA17 dans la course a été significativement aggravée sans faute de sa part pour aller donner de l’aide à FRA85 conformément à la RCV 1.1. Les conditions pour donner réparation sont remplies (RCV 62.1 (c)).
RM asked FRA17 to divert to the position of FRA85 in distress. FRA17’s progress in the race was made significantly worse through no fault of her own giving help to FRA85 in compliance with RRS 1.1. The conditions to give redress are met (RRS 62.1(c)).
Le Jury international à la majorité donne réparation à FRA17 comme suit : L'heure d'arrivée de FRA17 sera l'heure à laquelle il termine moins 10h15 heures.
The international jury by majority decision gives redress to FRA17 as follow: The finishing time of FRA17 will be the time she finishes less 10h15 hours.
Commission Centrale d’Arbitrage
DECISIONS DU JURY / JURY HEARING DECISIONS
Comité de course
Demande de Réparation FRA01 Yes We Cam
La direction de course a demandé à FRA01 de se détourner sur la position de FRA85 en détresse. La progression de FRA01 dans la course a été significativement aggravée sans faute de sa part pour aller donner de l’aide à FRA85 conformément à la RCV 1.1. Les conditions pour donner réparation sont remplies (RCV 62.1 (c)).
RM asked FRA01 to divert to the position of FRA85 in distress. FRA01’s progress in the race was made significantly worse through no fault of her own giving help to FRA85 in compliance with RRS 1.1. The conditions to give redress are met (RRS 62.1(c)).
Le Jury international à la majorité donne réparation à FRA01 comme suit : L'heure d'arrivée de FRA01 sera l'heure à laquelle il termine moins 16h15 heures.
The international jury by majority decision gives redress to FRA01 as follow: The finishing time of FRA01 will be the time she finishes less 16h15 hours.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 03:11   #621

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Just a thought, why did they not give a distance allowance based on the speed at the time of rescue.
A time allowance seems to depend very much on the conditions close to the finish.

Apart from this it truly is an exciting finish.
Quote:

Old 24-01-2021, 04:01   #622

I watch the French updates (they're much more exciting and dynamic and include live interviews with the competitors).

Anyway, I seem to remember Jean Le Cam saying this week (update 74, 75 or 76) something like he would be happy if he came in the top 3 or 5 with the redress - but don't hold me to that. I would have to go back and find which update it was and pay better attention to what he actually said....

I have a soft spot in my heart for Yes We Cam and Jean; that heroic rescue makes me wish he could just come in first!

As Pelagic says, looks like it will be Burton though. All of his recent update interviews, he looks happy and relaxed and reports how he's been pleased that his weather calculations/course choices have been working out.

Cheers,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 04:18   #623

It’s far from over. Boris Hermann is still going fast and gaining. Charlie Dalit is still heading East, perhaps into lighter winds. Yannick Bestaven is heading North, west of the Azores. If any of these tactics pay off it could change dramatically.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 06:22   #624
Marine Service Provider

yep, I wouldn't place any bets just yet....still some iffy weather to deal with....Jean, unfortunately, at the moment, seems to have fallen back some, though will likely have a top 5 finish after redress. Boris is certainly a contender for line honors, but this thing could come down to the wire...now that would be something....3 boats crossing the line within spitting distance of each other....

it's quite remarkable, that after 24,000 miles, the leaders are so close...

and now they are getting into a busy shipping area...sleep will be a luxury..and I'm sure, not a single one is willing to take his foot off the pedal for any reason..
Old 24-01-2021, 07:20   #625

Vendee 2020

Quote:
yep, I wouldn't place any bets just yet....still some iffy weather to deal with....Jean, unfortunately, at the moment, seems to have fallen back some, though will likely have a top 5 finish after redress. Boris is certainly a contender for line honors, but this thing could come down to the wire...now that would be something....3 boats crossing the line within spitting distance of each other....

it's quite remarkable, that after 24,000 miles, the leaders are so close...

and now they are getting into a busy shipping area...sleep will be a luxury..and I'm sure, not a single one is willing to take his foot off the pedal for any reason..

I don’t think Jean Le Cam is unfortunate as such, he’s still sailing a great race. It’s just that the foilers now have the conditions where they can achieve their potential. Damien Seguin is performing miracles.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 11:54   #626
Marine Service Provider

I hear ya, but Jean, like me, is now a member of the 60 and older crowd....even without a " modern" boat he has hung with the leaders...a remarkable job...

Honesty, just finishing this event, makes you a winner in my book...

Jean's redress time of 16.15 hours seems a bit short to me...it seemed...to me....that he spent a lot more time looking for Kevin and had to slow down again to drop him off...but it is what it is I guess...
Old 24-01-2021, 11:56   #627

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
I hear ya, but Jean, like me, is now a member of the 60 and older crowd....even without a " modern" boat he has hung with the leaders...a remarkable job...

Honesty, just finishing this event, makes you a winner in my book...

Jean's redress time of 16.15 hours seems a bit short to me...it seemed...to me....that he spent a lot more time looking for Kevin and had to slow down again to drop him off...but it is what it is I guess...

You really don’t think the redress committee considered it all correctly?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 14:00   #628

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Here is an interesting article by Chris Bouzaid (from a well known NZ sailing family) at Doyle Sails regarding the sails for Hugo Boss.

Bouzaid / Doyle Sails are also making the sails for American Magic's AC75, amongst other high level racing programs too of course.

Some of the principles discussed for the IMOCA sails are relative to cruising boats too, such as having a fuller more forgiving cut for wider wind ranges and angles as well as for the autopilot to steer most of the time and the overall limited amount of sails that can be carried onboard.

Light enough, fast enough….and strong enough
https://yachtracing.life/light-enoug...strong-enough/
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 05:59   #629

Boat: Najad 373
Vendee 2020

Well well ... the race committee just disclosed ETAs for the first five, and it looks like the podium could have 2 of the 3 time-compensated sailors on it... I can imagine the frustration of those already on the pontoons having to greet those arriving and taking their spot...
Amazing race with an incredible finish. Does that reflect the supremacy of machines over their skippers?
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 06:19   #630

Does anyone know if the finish will be streamed somewhere?
Finn77 is offline   Reply With Quote