Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2020, 16:03   #151
cruiser

Re: Vendee 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Le Cam’s boat was cutting edge back in 2007 and won the race 2008-2009.

Now, it is several generations behind in design and presumably has had lots of major work to make it reliable and competitive. That doesn’t make it a better boat for the race, but a reasonable one that with luck (weather routing) and very hard work Jean Le Cam can drive to a podium.

Racing with a boat that is 10% slower than the top competitors is not the easiest way to win the Vendee Globe.
The top competitors have faster but more fragile boats. They can’t keep the pedal to the metal all the time . It’s a different game.
DomPerignon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 16:37   #152
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I'm thinking back about some of the sailing races I've been in....where some or other sailing guru, against all odds, would come in first. Le Cam certainly falls into this category.
I would not count him out until the bitter end.

In the Vendee, you have to finish in order to place...that's the goal here, finish the race in one piece. A steady, but probably conservative approach, may be the winning ticket.

I won't be until the final run up the Atlantic that a prospective winner will first be evident.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 17:19   #153

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I won't be until the final run up the Atlantic that a prospective winner will first be evident.
This is quite true, but by then some for sure losers will have been identified: those whose boats have failed them.

To me this aspect of the Vendee is most interesting... the balance between speed and reliability, coupled with the abilities of the skippers to make on-site repairs. I'm so very impressed with Alex's composure and competence to do such exacting work whilst bouncing about in a sailboat under way. Superhero is a term that comes to mind... I wonder if he has a blue cape hidden under his PFD?

Jim
Old 22-11-2020, 18:28   #154

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
.. I wonder if he has a blue cape hidden under his PFD?

Jim
I thought he wears a suit & tie, no?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 20:38   #155

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
I thought he wears a suit & tie, no?

Only when he does the mast walk [emoji1]
Old 23-11-2020, 01:29   #156

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This is quite true, but by then some for sure losers will have been identified: those whose boats have failed them.

To me this aspect of the Vendee is most interesting... the balance between speed and reliability, coupled with the abilities of the skippers to make on-site repairs. I'm so very impressed with Alex's composure and competence to do such exacting work whilst bouncing about in a sailboat under way. Superhero is a term that comes to mind... I wonder if he has a blue cape hidden under his PFD?

Jim
Old 23-11-2020, 01:32   #157

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomPerignon View Post
The top competitors have faster but more fragile boats. They can’t keep the pedal to the metal all the time . It’s a different game.
Exactly! I can’t find the interview now, but a winning VG skipper made the comment maintaining the vessel and understanding the strengths / weaknesses of the boat throughout the race is more important than pure sailing / racing itself.

N

Edit: The skipper was François Gabart just after he won the 2012 VG, and I believe the article was in Yachting World.
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 05:22   #158
Marine Service Provider

It would be so cool for Alex to arrive back in Les Sable D'Olonne in 1st place....wearing his trademark black suit. You couldn't ask for a better promotional gimmick.
Old 23-11-2020, 06:36   #159

A video update from Alex of the damage to the bow. Some serious failing here - vertical stringer failed in 3/4 places. Good news is that he has lots of repair materials on board.

However, if it's failed in this part of the race, what are the chance of it failing in the long, hard slog across the southern ocean.

https://youtu.be/EJfhOBJAMeU
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 07:30   #160

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
...a winning VG skipper made the comment maintaining the vessel and understanding the strengths / weaknesses of the boat throughout the race is more important than pure sailing / racing itself...
That truism can be applied to any ocean passage on any type of boat; you can learn the sailing bit in a long weekend, it's all the rest...
Old 23-11-2020, 09:07   #161

Boat: Sabre 34II

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
A video update from Alex of the damage to the bow. Some serious failing here - vertical stringer failed in 3/4 places. Good news is that he has lots of repair materials on board.

However, if it's failed in this part of the race, what are the chance of it failing in the long, hard slog across the southern ocean.

As he says in the video let’s just hope the repairs are stronger than original. What a guy, telling others not to feel sad.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 09:29   #162
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post

Thanks for the video link.
Unfortunately the damage is extensive. There's several cracks in those beams that need fixing. Even if the repairs are strong what's gone keep new cracks from forming 6 inches away. He still has the roughest part of the journey ahead.
I am not an engineer , I hope I am wrong.
DomPerignon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 10:13   #163

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Here’s the latest - AT showing how the repairs are going on his boat. I wish him the best; what a great sportsman.

Old 23-11-2020, 10:59   #164
Marine Service Provider

ya, Alex is da man, he is a smart dude, doing a very methodical repair job....I know he'll do a very good repair job...but it's interesting to see the video of the cracks in the various structural pieces of the boat. As a retired structural marine engineer, patching or replacing the problem area is one thing, but these problem area also need to be " additionally" reinforced, just replacing like with like is not going to provide a satisfactory answer, as these areas will just break again, these areas need to be braced or otherwise reinforced....ie, they need to be twice as strong as before...hopefully his design team has recognized this...as I'm sure they will have....I'm still rooting for him..... !!!
Old 23-11-2020, 11:16   #165

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
That truism can be applied to any ocean passage on any type of boat; you can learn the sailing bit in a long weekend, it's all the rest...
That is true, but wafting along at 5kts and fixing the odd snapped sheet or bent shackle with no real worry about schedules is one thing, barrelling along at 25+ kts and balancing trying to win a long distance race with not breaking your boat is a completely different realm.

My hat goes off to AT, still cracking on while also undertaking repairs.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote