Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 11:45   #1

Van de Stadt E+A 40

Hi to all
Is there anyone who can shed light on the Van de Stadt E+A 40 in general?
We're strongly considering to buy one for living aboard and cruising.

Would appreciate any opinions.

C
SailingCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 14:49   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Van de Stadt E+A 40

They are rare. A friend who was going to buy one lives in Germany. He asked me for research but not much got found. That specific boat looked one off. Without proper trunk it was sort of dark inside. Also spacious.

To live aboard, anything does. Go for volume and volume comes with beam.

I like liveaboard boats to have some sort of roof over the cockpit. An extended hard dodger like seen on some Madeiras is +nice to have.

Images?

http://www.stadtdesign.com/images/designs/ea_40/1.jpg

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 22:21   #3

Thanks Barnakiel
She seems very livable, spacious, well looked after and neat. 6 berths with 2 double cabins, two heads. Galley is also spacious and I almost never have to stoop. Saloon, straight spacious lines, centre cockpit.

I'm curious about her behavior and suitability as a blue water cruiser. Pics attached; I don't have a pic of her hull but understand that displacement is about 12 T.
Curiously she has no shower, which makes me wonder about the purpose of her design.
We're from Cape town South Africa, which, in my mind needs a boat that can handle rough conditions.

By the way, we have no sailing experience and have a steep learning curve ahead of us.

Appreciating the help

C
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6238.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	142951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6271.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	142952  

Name:	IMG_6290.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	142953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6299.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	142954  

Name:	IMG_6300.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	142955  
Old 11-03-2017, 22:39   #4

They are pretty well known down here in Australia and NZ. I have never owned one, but hear good things about them. Maybe try to look at some websites from down under to get some feedback.

Cheers
marktre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 23:11   #5

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktre View Post
They are pretty well known down here in Australia and NZ. I have never owned one, but hear good things about them. Maybe try to look at some websites from down under to get some feedback.

Cheers
I think you confused the E+A 40 with the well known Norman 40 and Caribbean 40
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:37   #6

You will find way more info by googling for "Esslinger & Abt ..." rather than for "Van de Stadt ...". All the boats we had a look at in Europe will pop up.

Examples:

https://www.yachtfocus.com/gebruikte...bt-e-a-40.html

Esslinger & Abt E & A 40 (1982) - Michael Schmidt & Partner

https://www.boot24.com/segelboot/seg...mar-motor.html

https://www.barcos24.com/velero/yate...-50-motor.html

They may be in fact selling the same boat much as the prices in the adds are wildly apart.

In one website above you find an underbody picture in the yard. A typical vdst hull with fin keel and spade rudder. 38% in ballast and depth of either 195 or 200 depending on the source.

I cannot see any inner stay so you will want one for any serious weather sailing. Nice, but unprotected, cockpit. Decent size winches not laid out for single handling.

Nothing spectacular. Imho a fine boat for any weather due to her sheer size and weight but otherwise not something I would take for any extended offshore adventure without mods to deck and cockpit. A shower is easy to build in as long as there is some reasonable place to fit it.

Cheers,
b.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:59   #7

Quote:
I cannot see any inner stay so you will want one for any serious weather sailing. Nice, but unprotected, cockpit. Decent size winches not laid out for single handling.

Nothing spectacular. Imho a fine boat for any weather due to her sheer size and weight but otherwise not something I would take for any extended offshore adventure without mods to deck and cockpit
Will definitely look into options for adding an inner stay. I considered a gale sail over the furled headsail. Would this be a viable alternative or is it better to have the storm jib/stay sail closer to the mast?

I good spray dodger and bimini is non negotiable, I agree.
Old 12-03-2017, 15:04   #8

Imho when one expects regular, or certain, going thru any heavy weather, there is only one thing you can do on a proper sloop: install an inner forestay, not higher up than 2/3 of the mast and not further out than 2/3 of the J.

With a very deep 3rd reef in the main, this gives you enough options do drive upwind in a blow under power as well as to fore-reach in a storm or else run before the gale in comfort and safety.

A good starting point is 1/4 main SA in deep reefed main and a staysail that can be furled down to a high winds viable 1/4 SA of the fore SA.

I would actually prefer the staysail to be furled, except if the inner forestay is removable (much as there are removable furlers).

I will try to google a picture of what I find a neat and viable heavy weather capable sloop rig now.

Cheers,
b.
Old 12-03-2017, 15:16   #9

These, I believe, are some images of desirable sloop config for heavy weather handling:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wIwJDeBfNk...rmStaysail.jpg

http://www.sailvalis.com/VALIS-Photos/8%20(Large).jpg

https://aaclive-attainableadvent.net...8/04/10447.jpg

http://www.hshyachts.com/images/cali...cutter_rig.jpg

https://aaclive-attainableadvent.net...ai-Sailing.jpg

Cheers,
b.
Old 12-03-2017, 15:24   #10

Re: dodger.

On this specific boat, you may opt to start with at least a hard fore / sides of a dodger. A plain SS tubes / canvas work will have to be removed exactly when you will need wx protection most.

Once again, this image:

https://aaclive-attainableadvent.net...ai-Sailing.jpg

shows what a minimum heavy weather dodger is about.

All the above just my opinions.

Cheers,
b.
Old 22-03-2017, 12:05   #11

Thanks for the advice.
We decided to go for a 1990 Tosca 36 in stead; OTP accepted days ago.
TOSCA 36 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Selling our house and everything in it at the moment.
We should be living aboard in 3 months time.. New life
Old 22-03-2017, 15:46   #12

Boat: CSY 37

A little off your subject ...but i had a van de statd 30 that i lived on for a few years and found well designed and comfortable it was also very tender and Sailed very nicely and light breezes which ended up being a blessing so maybe the 40 will go along the same lines
Tattooluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 12:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooluke View Post
A little off your subject ...but i had a van de statd 30 that i lived on for a few years and found well designed and comfortable it was also very tender and Sailed very nicely and light breezes which ended up being a blessing so maybe the 40 will go along the same lines
Iv'e so far only heard good things about any van de Stadt design, yet nothing specific about the E + A 40. Chances are, it will be a fine vessel.
I decided against it partly because of a gut feeling and chose the Tosca 36 because I've heard so many good things about the Tosca 36 and Lavranos designs. The Tosca is also slightly cheaper, leaving more budget for upgrades and preparation. (which we would have had to do on the E+A too)

We're going on a test sail next week and having the survey done after that.
Old 24-03-2017, 12:25   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

barnakiel, are you suggesting putting the storm jib/staysail on a removable furler? How would that work, particularly getting sufficient stay tension, as well as keeping the lines tensioning the tack from snarling in the furling line?
I know that for a time, Ann & Jim Cate had their Solent stay attached with a Hifield lever. And eventually Mr. Murphy stepped in & detached the lever, where upon mayhem ensued. Leaving little of use of the furler or the sail.

Some boats do have a flat cut staysail on a furler, & then a detachable stay for a true storm staysail, inboard of this. As often as not, it's a setup found on shorthanded boats such as those in the Class 40 fleet. And they also employ structural furlers, etc.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 18:03   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
I considered a gale sail over the furled headsail. Would this be a viable alternative or is it better to have the storm jib/stay sail closer to the mast?
In consideration of the gale sail you might want to do some google custom searches using the search facility of this forum. Apparently, and I have no direct experience, they are extremely difficult to get on over another sail, perhaps impossible in a blow when they are needed.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote