Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2016, 04:46   #16

Boat: Van Der Stadt Seal 36
Re: Van de Stadt 36 Flush deck

Ok Jeff

Found her. Well I think she is well setup and having been owned by the same person since being built is a big plus in my books

You need to be able to speak to the owner direct with the broker's permission of course as it seems they have sole right to the add

Don't be too low on your offer, it's a hell of a boat with all the included gear for the asking price already. At AUD49K, I would say it is about AUD20K below it's actual market value so don't be cheeky offering AUD25K

Speak with the seller (not the broker), build a comfortable relationship ( remember it has been his baby for many years and sentimental value is there) and make a reasonable offer based on a full inspection done out of the water; you don't need a full survey for pre inspection but it is a good idea to have it hauled out, then you can see what the condition is underneath

Overall I would buy it myself but again I own one and love them

Cheers
Will
CaptWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 06:54   #17

pretty much a slap sided beast with 6 ft of head room . 1/4 inch plate is called 10 lb plate as its 10.21 pounds per sq ft in weight. I doubt the plate is 1/4"

surveyors normally are not certified in Ultra sound but a surveyor may be consulted to review the shots. find an ultra sound company and make sure they use the oscilloscope type of ultra sound, far more accurate. shots are taken in belts in no less than 2 ft centers beam to beam
typically wastage of 25% or greater of hull wastage should be cut out and replaced. I would also come up with a good anti corrosive then antifouling paint combination for the underwater profile
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 07:35   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Looks like a VDS Zeehond. These were either homebuilt or else available from very many boatyards of various provenience. They received various rigs and hardware. The ones I know were all steel.

Similar sailing qualities to same sized Roberts, etc.

Clean ones fetch 40 to 60k EU money. Vulnerability: the rudder. Also the rig, where the hull was built very "strong" (=too heavy).

They do not go upwind too great, they are actually quite beamy and displace some water. If you think you will be sailing upwind heaps, look for a deep draft one (they came in various keel depths).

Very often, unless professionally built and well maintained, they are high maintenance boats.

If you are looking at a steel one, avoid wood overlaid decks and any wood trim on the deck.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 07:44   #19

Boat: Victoire 1122

Hello there in Australia, the "van der Stadt" is a Dutch design. On this forum there is a thread about the "Van der Stadt" designs. These design's are famous in The Netherlands/Europe. Van der Stadt only does the design; so the question is who built the boat and how was it done? And how was she maintained.
So you like to know more about the designer, you can contact Kees van der Stadt in the Netherlands (Google) he is running his own design office (Satellite Yacht Design); the boat you are looking for was designed by "Rikus van der Stadt" Kees' father.
Good luck on your decision.
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 01:13   #20

Boat: Nicholson 31 1982

Hi Will, your friend's boat Zeke isn't on the Langkawi brokers list anymore, do you know if it was sold?
Regards, Jeff.
Boxertwinjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 19:39   #21

Hi there everyone,

In reply to barnakiel's post. There is a VDS 36 Seal steel hull for sale but needs quite a lot of work. They mention to avoid the wood deck's. I'm guessing this picture is why;

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&iact=c&ictx=1

Is this sort of damage worth trying to repair or better to steer clear? If so what would be the right way to go in terms of repair use a stronger material or stick to wood?

Cheers, B
ecurb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 18:53   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello ecurb21,

Welcome aboard CF.

Wow, your first post here is very interesting, that looks like something is going to have to be re-done.

I am unable to tell from the picture whether it is timber, or glass over timber, and sorry, but I am not expert enough to say the best way to repair it.

This was a 2 yr. old thread. I hope someone comes along pronto who can help.

Ann
Old 23-06-2019, 03:41   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ecurb.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 03:59   #24

Boat: Van Der Stadt Seal 36

Hi ecurb21

So did you end up buying that Seal?

Rgds
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurb21 View Post
Hi there everyone,

In reply to barnakiel's post. There is a VDS 36 Seal steel hull for sale but needs quite a lot of work. They mention to avoid the wood deck's. I'm guessing this picture is why;

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&iact=c&ictx=1

Is this sort of damage worth trying to repair or better to steer clear? If so what would be the right way to go in terms of repair use a stronger material or stick to wood?

Cheers, B
CaptWil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck