Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 05:08   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Value of Tayana

I'm curious about the opinions of some of our forum experts.

I looked at a mid 80's Tayana 47 last week. I had thought that the Tayana was a high end boat and also expected a price tag out of my budget.

When I checked NADA the value came in at about 50k. Which surprised me, and the owner would have been pretty shocked as well.

First do you guys think that 50k is a reasonable range for this boat, and do you feel that NADA is a reasonable value determinant?

Thanks
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Value of Tayana

I would not rely on the NADA for determining a boat's market value. Instead, look online at various websites to see what they're listed for. Drop off any that are a lot higher and lower than the rest, adjust for condition (eliminate fixer uppers and salvage jobs) and take the average of what's left.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:02   #3

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I would not rely on the NADA for determining a boat's market value. Instead, look online at various websites to see what they're listed for. Drop off any that are a lot higher and lower than the rest, adjust for condition (eliminate fixer uppers and salvage jobs) and take the average of what's left.
And deduct 20-30%! Asking prices today are far from the final selling prices on average.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:52   #4

Looking at comps for sale is part of my normal routine. But in this case there isn't anything to compare. Checked Yachtrader and sailboatlistings. Closest listings were for a late 90's, all others were in the 2000's.

But I'm really asking if anyone has an opinion of it's worth. Especially if they don't think NADA is a good indicator. A range would be a great start.

I visited on a lark. But if the value is around 50k, I really could be interested. Not much if it's over 100k.

thanks
Old 09-06-2019, 08:11   #5

Boat: Southern Cross 39

I know a nice Tayana 42 went in the $70 K range last January, because I was outbid.
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:15   #6

mabowers, what year was the 42?
Old 09-06-2019, 11:40   #7

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
mabowers, what year was the 42?
PM sent
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:02   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
And deduct 20-30%! Asking prices today are far from the final selling prices on average.
Sometimes this is the case but often it is not. Some sellers price their boats realistically, know they are competitive and will not knock off 20-30%, period. I have also encountered plenty of sellers that had an inflated idea of the value of their boat and would not negotiate.

A buyer really has to look at each boat and each seller as a unique situation and act accordingly.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:09   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Looking at comps for sale is part of my normal routine. But in this case there isn't anything to compare. Checked Yachtrader and sailboatlistings. Closest listings were for a late 90's, all others were in the 2000's.

But I'm really asking if anyone has an opinion of it's worth. Especially if they don't think NADA is a good indicator. A range would be a great start.

I visited on a lark. But if the value is around 50k, I really could be interested. Not much if it's over 100k.

thanks
At the end of the day it doesn't matter at all what NADA, yactworld or any other site says a boat is worth. If you find one for sale then it's worth what the seller will sell for and a buyer will pay. All else is nothing but speculation.

If you like that boat watch the.listings and if you find one in your.price range make an offer.
Old 12-06-2019, 13:03   #10

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
I'm curious about the opinions of some of our forum experts.

I looked at a mid 80's Tayana 47 last week.
Was it this one?
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/72116

They say it's hull number 2. From the pics, it looks great! Funny thing, sailboatdata.com has the 47 as being first built in 1991.

I was interested in the model, and the 48, until visiting a 48 here in Channel Islands, and found it lacked sufficient headroom.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 11:09   #11

I delivered a brand new Tayana 47 in the mid 90s. It was a so so boat. Not a single usable seaberth in the boat. Of course they probably offered different interiors so what you are looking at may be different. It had lots of small things wrong that were in the design/layout issues, not bad gear issues. I suppose that many issues would be worked out by owners over the years. We didnt get to do much sailing, but I suspect it would have sailed well. All boats are a compromise and a lot depends on what you plan to do with the boat. If it is solid and fits your needs it might be a great price. If it has lots of awkward installations and doesnt work for your plans, then no price is good. Best of Luck. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:42   #12

Skipmac, I think having a 3rd party value is very valuable. If nothing else not much sobers an over priced seller than an opinion of value from an independent source. Otherwise it's more of a he said, you said situation; that you are just trying to screw them.

Brewgyver, yes that's the boat. I've seen very confusing information on the years models etc. You must be a tall guy, as I was good on headroom throughout.

I see several tayana 42's and they seem to have a solid value range. But still don't see anything similar to this 89 47.

Thanks for the thoughts. Fortunately we have a decent boat that we enjoy, so there's nothing pushing us immediately. Just that this has nicer room, and amenities.
Old 20-07-2019, 12:31   #13

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Nah this is a myth methinks.. I am sure it happens but I have actually found nice boats I ended up putting an offer on using this rule and they were rejected. Most of them were gone a couple of weeks later.

Funny enough there was this Tayana 42 I actually flew all the way to Florida to see and it looked great.. but I thought the asking price was at least 30% too much (see rule above). Seller wouldn't budge so I moved on. I checked a couple of years later and the boat was still sitting there.. still overpriced (though he had gone 10% or so down if I recall).

So... in my personal experience, no.. most boats are not generally listed 20-30% over the market price. Some boats are overpriced.. and they just won't sell.. period.
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote