Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2018, 18:03   #1

Vagabond Westwind 38 opinions and topside paint advice needed please

Hi

My wife and I fell in love with a Vagabond Westwind 38 and are currently debating on whether or not we want to purchase. It’s condition is rough and many of its systems are well past their service life. The teak interior is still in good shape but we feel she could use some fresh paint on the top sides and hull.

So my questions are

1. Are the Westwinds good boats for an extended blue water passage? Our plan is to sail to Hawaii, AK, West Coast, Panama Canal, Caribbean, Fl, ICW to the Great Lakes and then North the Canada. I can’t really plan any further than that!

2. What is the average price per foot to get the top sides painted as well as a price per foot for hull paint. Thinking Awlgrip but open to ideas.

Thank you. I have a short window of time to give the owner an answer as to whether or not we’ll take it.
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 18:47   #2

Re: Vagabond Westwind 38 opinions and topside paint advice needed please

Clearly not a popular enough boat to elicit any responses. Lol.

Well, we came to an agreement on the purchase price and the haulout, survey and sea trail is on the 29th. We are well aware the boat will need some work but at this point there doesn’t appear to be any deal breakers. We’ll see how the survey goes.

Still curious if anyone has had their decks redone with awlgrip recently. That’s the one thing I feel it needs that I’m not up for doing.
Old 22-05-2021, 19:44   #3
jmt

How did the survey go? Did you end up getting the boat? I'm having a hard time finding information about them, so I'd be curious to hear what your experience has been, assuming you got the boat.
jmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 16:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt View Post
How did the survey go? Did you end up getting the boat? I'm having a hard time finding information about them, so I'd be curious to hear what your experience has been, assuming you got the boat.
Hi JMT

I didn’t end up buying the boat. In the end it was a more work = less sailing situation so I had to take a pass. I liked the boats layout and the construction seemed robust but it had hundreds of blisters, some above the waterline. Not a deal breaker and the owner was willing to come down quite a bit but between a bottom peel and full paint top-bottom as well as the needed upgrades and myriad non ABYC electrical stuff I took a pass.

These boats are rare and there were very few made. If you can find one in good shape I’d absolutely give it some consideration. One thing to consider is the fact that they seem to be underpowered for a boat of that size (like many older boats of this type and era).

I ended up going with a boat that was in better shape and much more expensive and didn’t feel too bad about it because I’d have had to put more money and time into making the Vagabond how I wanted it. I’d keep that in mind with any old boat. Hell, even a newish boat can cost a small fortune in updates and repairs to get it ready for long term cruising. Lol.

Best of luck to you.
Old 26-05-2021, 15:37   #5
jmt

Thanks for the tips. That's pretty much my sentiment on these older boats as well. They sure are nice to look at but I worry about any significant maintenance work that could come up.
jmt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, paint, wind