Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2021, 12:16   #1

Boat: 41ft morgan
uscg documentation

Does it really cost 350.00 dollars to transfer a boat title ? just started paperwork and at end of everythingit says 348.00? that normal?
Milfordadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 12:44   #2

Re: uscg documentation

Simple Answer: No.

Linked below is the fee schedule effective January 2022.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...JAN%202022.pdf

Reference link to the USCG National Vessel Documentation Center.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...tation-Center/

Link to online instructions and forms:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...ons-and-Forms/
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:28   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Looks like you got fooled into using a scam website, set up to do just what you found-- charge extra for something you can do yourself. Make sure you are on the uscg.mil site, as Montanan suggests. Transferring title is more than the annual $26 fee, (we paid $100). We closed on the boat in June, submitted the paperwork then and got the new Document in October.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 14:03   #4

Boat: Carver 356

Listen to the above. Only use the real CG Doc office web site.
Did mine a couple of years ago for about $100. Renews are $26.
I got burned once by one of these scammers on a renew. Never again.

Check out this earlier thread.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...am-211207.html
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 21:48   #5

Last year the cost for an “exchange of documentation”, which is the process of changing owners for an already documented vessel, was $84. That included a one-year CoD.

The USCG keeps delaying going to 5-year CoD as the only option for recreational vessels. Was supposed to happen yesterday but they have delayed yet again. When it happens the exchange cost will be $188 (as shown in the fee schedule linked above). That represents $84 for the exchange and one year, and 4x26 for the additional 4 years on the 5-year CoD. Either way, much less than $348, although it’s probably an hour’s work for someone to fill out all the paperwork.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 10:11   #6

Boat: Catalina 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Listen to the above. Only use the real CG Doc office web site.
Did mine a couple of years ago for about $100. Renews are $26.
I got burned once by one of these scammers on a renew. Never again.

Check out this earlier thread.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...am-211207.html
I just went through the USCG site and updated my documentation. At the end I wanted to renew for multiple years, however, the site did not allow me to pay for multiple years. I sent them an email stating that. They just responded that I went through a third party to renew. I sent them the links I took through USCG and DHS website. Waiting their response. I believe we are being lied to by USCG that they have given the renewal process to the third party without letting us know. I am incredulous at this level of deception on the part of the USCG.

Ed
Starfish 2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 10:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Looks like you got fooled into using a scam website, set up to do just what you found-- charge extra for something you can do yourself. Make sure you are on the uscg.mil site, as Montanan suggests. Transferring title is more than the annual $26 fee, (we paid $100). We closed on the boat in June, submitted the paperwork then and got the new Document in October.
It's not a 'Scam'. It's just a service. Like anything in the world....you either do it yourself, or pay someone to do it. There is no scam here. Businesses are entitled to charge what they want for goods and services. It is your choice to engage in a business exchange of cash for services.......or not.

It's their fault that they are charging for a service and you chose not to do your own due diligence?

None of these sites are in the .gov Top-Level Domain. Don't blame them if you lack situational awareness.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 10:33   #8

Boat: Tartan T4400

You can get a 5-year COD renewal. I did it last year if I remember correctly, I had to send hard copies and a check in. It came back quickly. It can't be done online. There is no discount for doing 5-year renewal.
Old 28-02-2022, 11:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish 2018 View Post
I just went through the USCG site and updated my documentation. At the end I wanted to renew for multiple years, however, the site did not allow me to pay for multiple years. I sent them an email stating that. They just responded that I went through a third party to renew. I sent them the links I took through USCG and DHS website. Waiting their response. I believe we are being lied to by USCG that they have given the renewal process to the third party without letting us know. I am incredulous at this level of deception on the part of the USCG.

Ed
As mentioned, you can’t do multi year online. You have to snail mail in a check for $26 times the number of years. Put “multi-year renewal” in your memo line. Make sure it is mailed to the real CG Doc office in West VA.
Old 28-02-2022, 11:32   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
It's not a 'Scam'. It's just a service. Like anything in the world....you either do it yourself, or pay someone to do it. There is no scam here. Businesses are entitled to charge what they want for goods and services. It is your choice to engage in a business exchange of cash for services.......or not.

It's their fault that they are charging for a service and you chose not to do your own due diligence?

None of these sites are in the .gov Top-Level Domain. Don't blame them if you lack situational awareness.
Shew, If not a scam, it’s close to it. The websites are set up to look like an official government site. Even the URLs are kinda official looking. You still have to fill out all the paperwork on their site and they send in the forms. Very deceptive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5B9A6169-B377-49D4-A8D5-6738DED16D74.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	253749
Capt Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 11:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish 2018 View Post
I believe we are being lied to by USCG that they have given the renewal process to the third party without letting us know. I am incredulous at this level of deception on the part of the USCG.

Ed
I might add there is no deception on the part of the CG. Why would they give the renewal info to a 3rd party only to have it given back to the CG. Only the CG can issue a renewal.
They even issued a bulletin a few years ago warning boat owners of 3rd party doc services.
They also stopped listing boat owners names and addresses on their website. That is where the scammers got their info to send out reminder letters. The scammers databases will now start to dry up.
Old 28-02-2022, 11:55   #12

Y'all should see the websites for the extended car warranties.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 22:34   #13

Boat: Cascade 42

I just did a transfer and multi year renewal via email. took 4 months to get the docs back.
pdx_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:38   #14

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
It's not a 'Scam'. It's just a service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Y'all should see the websites for the extended car warranties.
Good analogy. Just because there's no law against it doesn't mean it's not a scam. They use deception to fool you into paying for a service you don't need. That is well within my definition of the term "scam." You can call it something else, but the effect is the same; taking money from unsuspecting marks.

The CG is not deceiving anyone. They're a government organization. The law extending renewals was passed with good intentions. Then the CG had to go through the usual government bureaucracy and red tape to get their computer system updated to match the new law. It appears it's behind schedule (and probably over budget.) This shouldn't surprise anyone who has worked with government computer systems before.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:27   #15

Boat: Tartan T4400

If using the dot mil web site renewals are taking less than a month by most people, I have talked to. If you are doing a transfer new doc name change ect it is taking longer.

Tags
documentation, men