Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2022, 06:29   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: uscg documentation

I've always used an agent to get my US CG documentation. Never had a problem with that, not did I have to wait very long. I don't recall the fee off hand, but around $300....worth it to me....no fuss...no muss..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 07:15   #32

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I've always used an agent to get my US CG documentation. Never had a problem with that, not did I have to wait very long. I don't recall the fee off hand, but around $300....worth it to me....no fuss...no muss..
I’ve always said, sometimes there are issues and using an agent might be a good idea. For me, I’ve always done it myself for around $100.
However, I can’t think of any reason why anyone would ever use an agent for a simple renewal.
FYI…as far as wait times go, agents don’t get a pass to the front of the line. I was told that by a NVDC official.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 07:21   #33

Boat: Carver 356
Re: uscg documentation multiple years

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
TIP

if you like to renew for more than a year, the website (make sure you are in the REAL USCG), more likely will not give you the updated correct form.

Instead of filling the form online, ask for the form to be mailed to you.

Once you have the paper form, fill the blanks and more likely is an older form with no options for multiple years, no sweat, write a check for how many years you renew and on the form write you are requesting renewal for XX years, circle to make the text to emphasize the obvious and mail it.
Pretty sure all of the NVDC forms are available in PDF format and can be downloaded and printed. No need to have them mailed to you.
But yes, for multi year renewal, the form needs to be mailed in with the appropriate amount of money
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 07:26   #34

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Hey, I happen to have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn, if you're interested.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 07:32   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Talk to my agent
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 08:11   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Hey Tom:

I'm interested, as it will complement our ownership of the East River and of Manna-hata ["island of many hills"] a legacy holding of my Lenape cousins back east.

The island's name also sometime accredited to be derived from the noun word manahachtanienk ("place of general inebriation") of the Munsee dialect of Lenape language. Hence appropriately in spirit, Manhattan is the noun for a cocktail made of whiskey and vermouth, sometimes with a dash of bitters.

I'll start the bidding with $24 worth of very old trinkets to exchange for your stone bridge; I will be "held in suspension" awaiting your decision.

Meanwhile lying at anchor on Henry Hudson's yacht Halve Maen (Half Moon).

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 16:37   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Hey Tom:

I'm interested, as it will complement our ownership of the East River and of Manna-hata ["island of many hills"] a legacy holding of my Lenape cousins back east.

I'll start the bidding with $24 worth of very old trinkets to exchange for your stone bridge; I will be "held in suspension" awaiting your decision.

Meanwhile lying at anchor on Henry Hudson's yacht Halve Maen (Half Moon).
I've seen the Half Moon many times. Once, after couple of days in and around NY City, I passed her in that spot North of town where buildings thin out; the Palisades on one side and only trees showing through the mist on the other. It was downright creepy. I wasn't completely sure I hadn't been transported back in time to Henry Hudson's first voyage up that river.

As for the bridge, I got another guy who might be interested, you may need to up the ante.

I've certainly heard of the Lenape. If you want to know more about them, and why they're sometimes called the Lenni Lenapi, I'd be happy to Google that for you.

Just go to my web site. It looks just like the Google site but there's a disclaimer at the bottom which says in fine print that I'm a private business. I will type your query into the real Google site for you, then send you the results. All for the low, low price of $300.

Old 28-04-2022, 16:44   #38

Boat: Valiant 42

Thanks CF, saw this thread and remembered I needed to renew. Checked the site, you get 30 days post expiration, which was March 31 for me. Just made it :-)
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 17:01   #39

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Two things I will say. First I just did my renewal the right way through the .mil site. Had confirmation in one day and hard copy I hand in less than 10 days. Honestly don’t see any reason to do multi year renewal. It ain’t refundable and what happens if you decide sell your boat in year 3.
Old 30-04-2022, 06:18   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Honestly don’t see any reason to do multi year renewal. It ain’t refundable and what happens if you decide sell your boat in year 3.
I'll do it before I sell my house and move aboard. Just so there's one less thing to think about until I settle into whatever comes next.

The irony is that they always portrayed the fee as the cost of processing the renewal. So in theory, the five-year renewal should be the same price. I guess they'll need a new excuse now. Granted, it's not much, but a little honesty would go a long way.

Tags
documentation, men