Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2022, 10:54   #46

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini
Re: Urgent. Help with name

Great choice Kurt, I like it too.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 12:02   #47

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I am a traditionalist regarding boat names. A name which sounds like you'd see it on a sailing ship would be fine, so Rachel June would be my choice of your three but all your choices are OK. At least you're not trying to be cute. A boat is a serious thing and not a joke, so cute names are out, for me..

Rachel June. Yes, it is traditional.

The Dreaming II. It's OK but Dream Time would be better.

Starwood78. At least it is not "cute" but it demands explanation. When you put on a name which demands an explanation, to me, that is too cute. "What is the 78 for?" "Oh, that is when we met." "Oh, how cute". So, drop the number, and anyway, what is star wood? Is that what they use to make the ornament out of for the top of a Christmas tree?

As long as we are discussing "traditional" consider the home port name. Do Not, repeat, do not, put the state initial after the city of the home port. You might as well put the zip code. It is not an address, it is the name of the vessel's hope port. Nor is it the name of your city of your residence. You don't have to advertise to everyone that you are from Boulder Co. as a conversation starter. If the vessel has never been there, and never will be, don't use it. Remember, it is an abbreviation of "boatname, of home port", as in "Rachel June, Los Angeles". Never mind what the coast guard tells you, they will never cite you for leaving off the state. No one ever had to explain that Boston was in Mass, or London was in Great Britain, or Los Angeles was in Ca., or Cape Town, or Chicago, or Marseilles, or New Orleans. The home port is self explanatory.

Finally, Courtesy flags. One of most disgusting trends is for people to fly national flags of the citizenship of the crew from a flag halyard. I've seen vessels with three flags, such as German, British, and Canadian, signifying that here are people on board from those countries. NONONO! That is a stupid trend. Put up a courtesy flag of the country you're visiting on the flag halyard and flay the national ensign on the stern, as is proper and traditional.

Enough of the cutesies.
Old 22-06-2022, 12:08   #48

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
As long as we are discussing "traditional" consider the home port name. Do Not, repeat, do not, put the state initial after the city of the home port. You might as well put the zip code. It is not an address, it is the name of the vessel's hope port. Nor is it the name of your city of your residence. You don't have to advertise to everyone that you are from Boulder Co. as a conversation starter. If the vessel has never been there, and never will be, don't use it. Remember, it is an abbreviation of "boatname, of home port", as in "Rachel June, Los Angeles". Never mind what the coast guard tells you, they will never cite you for leaving off the state. No one ever had to explain that Boston was in Mass, or London was in Great Britain, or Los Angeles was in Ca., or Cape Town, or Chicago, or Marseilles, or New Orleans. The home port is self explanatory.
Not all home ports are that self explanatory. Sometimes there's more than 1 place with that name, or it's a place that's not all that well known outside of the local area.

I did put the state on my boat. Our home port is on the Great Lakes, so outside of this area, it'll be hit or miss on whether people have a clue where Rochester is. Or they may assume that it's Rochester, Minnesota or Rochester, New Hampshire, or one of several other Rochesters rather than realizing it's Rochester, New York.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 12:32   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Not all home ports are that self explanatory. Sometimes there's more than 1 place with that name, or it's a place that's not all that well known outside of the local area.

I did put the state on my boat. Our home port is on the Great Lakes, so outside of this area, it'll be hit or miss on whether people have a clue where Rochester is. Or they may assume that it's Rochester, Minnesota or Rochester, New Hampshire, or one of several other Rochesters rather than realizing it's Rochester, New York.
Well, they don't need to know exactly where Rochester is. You are not trying to educate people on geography, you are letting them know that your boat is from a port named Rochester. And furthermore it is THE Rslifkin of Rochester, (or whatever).

But, I guess if you put the whole statename,

Rslifkin
Rochester, New York

I'd accept you into my, "He's OK club". Just this once.
Old 22-06-2022, 15:30   #50

Boat: Pearson

Since you want to do what is right and you don t want to do whats wrong it can only be rachel june.
Old 22-06-2022, 16:01   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
I am going to counter your admonition to leave off the state. It seems that the USCG actually does require the state to be included, and I am not seeing a good reason to rebel against that.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...-09-113142-067
Block E: "HAILING PORT INCLUDING STATE (TO BE MARKED ON VESSEL)"

https://www.boatus.com/products-and-...g-requirements
Federally Documented Vessel Requirements
"The 'hailing port' must include a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated."
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 17:10   #52

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayZee View Post
Thanks for being good sports. In case it was missed above, we settled on Starwood. No "the" and no "78". CG has the paperwork.
Thanks again,
Kurt
Thankfully you "saw the light".
All this Betsy Ann, Linda Lou, Betty Sue, stuff is for fish farmers, the people whose boats haul dead fish to market.
Old 22-06-2022, 17:41   #53

I would forget all those names unless U never plan on leaving the States. Since ur in Marina del Ray, maybe U might get to Mexico, eh? A short one word name is best for foreign waters. Easy to remember & pronounce. Take my boat’s name for instance: JAVA. Named by the Aussie family who owned the boat when I bought it; Jacinta, Anthony, Vicky & Anthea. Named for coffee, no way, I don’t drink the stuff & ONLY Americans call coffee JAVA. Just keep it simple.

I remember a boat in Mexico called SOMF. Do U know what that stands for? I asked the owner what did he tell his Mother or more conservative friends what the name meant? He said “Sand On My Feet.” He liked to joke a lot, so I guess the name might have told U something about him, eh? I’m just saying… Evan on JAVA
CATJAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 18:10   #54

I would have gone with "Triskaidekaphobia 13".
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 18:13   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
I am going to counter your admonition to leave off the state. It seems that the USCG actually does require the state to be included, and I am not seeing a good reason to rebel against that.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...-09-113142-067
Block E: "HAILING PORT INCLUDING STATE (TO BE MARKED ON VESSEL)"

https://www.boatus.com/products-and-...g-requirements
Federally Documented Vessel Requirements
"The 'hailing port' must include a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated."
Mr JoeRobertJr, I understand what the CG requirement is, however I am going to follow tradition not that CG rule, AND, as I said before, they won't cite you for that, I've been stopped and if you are a good guy with all the safety requirements, etc they won't quibble about the state. They won't even mention it.

There is no rebellion here, I am just absolutely going to follow what I see as tradition, not some dumb CG requirement.
Old 22-06-2022, 19:30   #56

Simple. Ask your daughter. That should fix it.

You could say "Rachael, we are considering naming our boat after you. (here you can really embellish the story e.g. - boats are traditionally described as "she" etc. - as dads tend to do with their daughters) What do you think?" If she says "What do you mean, - "After You" sounds silly, dad!", then you may have a difficult child on your hands.
My bet is she would be really impressed and you can then capitalise on her pride when hull cleaning etc. is needed. Everything has a price. You can then describe the boat as "Rachael's" and shuffle lots of responsibilities her way. (My Scottish heritage is showing here.)
Getting all the family involved with a boat is often a real challenge and here you have an opportunity to make that "ownership, responsibility" etc. easier and more personal and rewarding for her.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 19:31   #57

Boat: 2006 Wauquiez PS 41

Quote:
I am a traditionalist regarding boat names. A name which sounds like you'd see it on a sailing ship would be fine, so Rachel June would be my choice of your three but all your choices are OK. At least you're not trying to be cute. A boat is a serious thing and not a joke, so cute names are out, for me..

Rachel June. Yes, it is traditional.

Enough of the cutesies.
I agree about flag traditions but I'm going to disappoint you. The hailing port is going to be the city of our residence and not Marina del Rey. It means something to us because it's where we built our lives, had the kids, built the business and sold the business to buy the bigger boat. Maybe it's cutesy to you and if it starts a conversation, okay. I LIKE meeting people even if that people has named his boat the stupidest name ever seen in Neptunes 7 seas.

Edit: i checked with darling wife who does the paperwork. The Hailing Port has the CA for our state.
Old 22-06-2022, 19:56   #58

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

Funny, I was there, Starwood Hollywood in 78, we're the same age, maybe you stole my girl!
Leave of the 78, unless your boat is 78' long.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 20:19   #59

Boat: Catalina 30

Everyone loves a name that’s a pun and hard to understand on the radio.

So, as you settled on “Starwood,” I would recommend changing that to “Star would,” as in “Star” is a very accommodating person. You may interpret that with double entendre, another universally beloved tradition in boat names.

Also, spell it with a star, as in “*-would.”
DanielI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 02:41   #60

Boat: Roberts 45

Since it's "urgent", just call it that! "URGENT"

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote