Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2021, 08:08   #31

Boat: 2008 Hanse 430e
Re: Upgrading Radar and chart plotters

I’m also looking at a complete update for all systems (plotter - single screen, radar, wind,, AIS, AP, speed) but am wondering if anyone can also comment on budget?
Issywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:11   #32

Boat: 2008 Hanse 430e

And noticed I forgot depth…
Issywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:11   #33

Boat: Leopard 40

Someone commented about Furuno. They have some amazing equipment. As a commercial fisherman I swear by it. They have new recreational range coming out(or might be out already).

Having said that.

I started using various Raymarine units on our Sunsail Leopard 44 and have grown rather fond of it. The MFD we had gave some issues with water in the card slot, but considering the amount of use and abuse it took over 5 years I thought it held up very well. Our new Moorings Leopard 40 has the Axiom display, so I decided to fit one to my new skiboat earlier this year, I absolutely love it!!!!

The card slot is in the rear of the unit, so if you need to change cards be sure you have easy access. This keeps it out of harms way.

Th Axiom plus also looks really nice.

I would definitely stick with what you know and keep all your equipment the same brand. If your last unit lasted 15 years…say no more.

The amount of chart detail depends on what charts you buy. I enjoy the Navionics.

Good luck.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:13   #34

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Also, consider that my 11 year old Furuno still receives free annual updates to the NOAA vector and raster charts, and I can still buy new charts for anywhere in the world (I believe that they are still using the format in current models). Compare that to other 11 year old chartplotters: AFAIK no one else offers free NOAA charts annually, and many no longer support the old chartplotters. Some chartplotters have been obsoleted by unavailability of charts. Yes, I paid more for my Furuno but on a per year basis it has been a bargain.

Greg

NOAA ENC and RNC charts are available from the NOAA site:

https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/

RNCs are probably going away, so if they're what you want, get them now.

Cheers,
Old 05-11-2021, 08:50   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issywa View Post
I’m also looking at a complete update for all systems (plotter - single screen, radar, wind,, AIS, AP, speed) but am wondering if anyone can also comment on budget?
If you're on a tight budget then check out ONWA and OVA systems. Simpler, sorta old-fashioned, but get the job done
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:11   #36

For a sailboat no question B&G cannot be beat. Raymarine is now adrift in multiple ownership sales and are not as capable.
You want a system on a NEMA 2000 network. The only necessary brand matching will be the chart plotter and the radar which are connected by Ethernet. All the other sensors and displays are really now plug and play. While I have a primarily B&G setup I use the Garmin rectangular instrument displays which are customizable 3 data fields for a lot less money.
Not sure about the autopilots and would recommend the B&G rudder sensor, computer and your choice of whatever hydraulic ram you prefer. Then you can be sure the AP can be run from the charplotter.
walkabout08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:23   #37

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkabout08 View Post
You want a system on a NEMA 2000 network. The only necessary brand matching will be the chart plotter and the radar which are connected by Ethernet. All the other sensors and displays are really now plug and play.
I'm not sure that's quite right. Certainly was part of the goal of NMEA 2000 but based on my research there are always the proprietary extensions and so forth that support a particular vendors functionality that may not be available unless you stay in a given vendors product line.

My recommendation would be unless there is a pressing reason, stay with a single vendor. If you don't, at least make sure that any functionality you want will work properly.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:36   #38

NEMA 2K compliant sensors output standard pgn sentences which assures that all devices are able to talk and receive the information but don’t take my word, ask a reputable electronics shop.
Old 05-11-2021, 13:16   #39

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
NOAA ENC and RNC charts are available from the NOAA site:

https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/
The problem with that is that the chartplotters we are talking about generally do not accept those charts as is. They have to be formatted for the chartplotter. In the case of Furuno they are formatted to the MapMedia NN3D format, which they make available for free to download. In fact, all MapMedia charts are available for download, and transfer to SDcard, to install in the chartplotter; non-free charts require a (downloadable) key file from the vendor in order to decrypt. The NOAA charts do work great with OpenCPN though.

On the topic of keeping everything from one vendor: nonsense! Most depth and speed transducers sold by the chartplotter vendors are just relabeled Airmar transducers, sometimes with a proprietary plug. An Airmar N2K (or 0183) sensor will work with any chartplotter (if the plugs match, of course). The various wind sensors are also chartplotter agnostic. GPS, AIS, and most other devices are available for less, and often with better performance, from third parties.

The best approach to a new system is to install an NMEA 2000 (N2K) backbone on the boat, using the recommended DeviceNet connectors. Avoid anything, including chartplotters, that has proprietary connectors: adapter cables are available or can be made up but it is an unnecessary complication. Third party devices, and generic versions of Airmar et al, use the DeviceNet connectors so stick with them. For me proprietary connectors are a deal breaker.

Buy the "smart" N2K transducers: they output directly to the N2K backbone and do not require running their own cables back to the displays. The data can be displayed on dedicated displays, multi-purpose displays, and/or the chartplotter. Simple and flexible.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 13:35   #40

Do as Greg says and you’ll be a happy sailor.
Old 05-11-2021, 20:08   #41

Boat: Oyster 56

I replaced my e120’s with axiom’s found my radar was just new enough 2009 to be digital so kept that. Very happy with how intuitive the axiom are compared to the old raymarine mfd’s
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:38   #42
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Upgrading Radar and chart plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkabout08 View Post
NEMA 2K compliant sensors output standard pgn sentences which assures that all devices are able to talk and receive the information but don’t take my word, ask a reputable electronics shop.

It’s not that simple many nmea2000 sensors need at least one of their compatible units to fully configure them

Unless there is a very compelling reason there is no point in mixing and matching , all the big four companies have the required breath of solutions to cover the applications needed

Most choices are simply personal predilections the kit is good enough for any sailing solution
Old 06-11-2021, 05:02   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issywa View Post
Coet can vary widely. Costs jump a lot with MFD screen size. Probably not applicable for a sailboat, but advanced resolution depth transducers (fishing or forward scan) can add a bunch. AIS receiver is now affordable on many VHF radios. If you want full AIS transponder, that adds at least $500.

Depending in your vessel size and drive type, integrated below deck autopilot system starts in the $2000 range, maybe a bit more. You might be able to get a radar/MFD package with wind/depth sensors and miscellaneous mounting hardware for under $5k.

Pricing is pretty competitive, so if you're installing yourself, I suggest making a decision on support so you have access to someone with any install questions. Best would be a small independent. They tend to have very sharp people who are happy to help.

Good luck.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 16:25   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Broadband is the only way to go
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:30   #45

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I guess it depends on your situation. Underway under sail my hands are often wet with salt water, and one of the regular tasks with my radar units through the years has been to frequently clean the salt crystals off the display. I am not interested in a chartplotter that requires me to put my fingers on the display to use, both due to reduced visibility and potential scratching. My MFD8 is not touch screen and I prefer it that way. The current Furuno models have touch screen and mechanical controls so the user can choose how to interact; there is a trend in the industry to add back the separate controls to touchscreen displays.

Greg
I haven't noticed that trend, but I'm very happy if there really is. IMHO the trend over the last decade to make everything fully touchscreen is NOT driven by the use and environmental requirements of the devices, but instead by cost.

Removing even one switch can reduce costs significantly when you think of it in terms of parts count (the switch, the gasket, mounting screws, connectors, and so forth, as well as the manufacturing operations including cutting the bezel, mounting and connecting, and of course the significantly higher failure rate of anything mechanical.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar