Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 22:15   #1

Upgrade Advice

Hello,

Sorry if this has been discussed previously, but I am seeking advice from the seasoned sailors here. I've been sailing a San Juan 21 for years, and I'm in a position to upgrade to a different boat. I love the SJ, but she's showing her age and my wife and I would like to start taking weekend trips on bigger lakes....the SJ is bare bones and just not roomy enough for overnight stays. So after exhausting research, I've narrowed it down to a later Catalina 22 MKII (swing keel), or a Mac 26X. I have sailed a Catalina and really like it; my only complaint is the lack of an enclosed head (first world problems). I have never sailed a Mac 26X, but have been on one in dry storage. We love the living space, so for that it ticks all the boxes. There are a few for sale in my area, but with Covid, there is obvious reluctance to have strangers aboard for a sail. So from purely a sailing perspective, does anyone here have experience with both boats? I have a real soft spot for the Catalina, but don't want to miss out on the Mac 26X if it's a great sailboat. I've heard/read tons of Mac reviews, but the opinions are all over the map. Should I even waste my time waiting to get out on one?

Regarding transportation, I have a decent truck, so towing is not an issue.

Thank you!!!
canuck2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 07:39   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Upgrade Advice

Depending on the model, macgregors are ok to poor sailing boats. I'm not bashing them, they fit a niche market very well. They are very easy to tow, launch and have very comfortable interiors, possibly the best in that size range. I am from Alberta and of all the sailboats on our lake, 1/2 are macgregors.
That said, I had a San Juan 7.7. I think after the sailing performance of your san juan 21, you will be disappointed in the mac.
The Catalina 22s are reported as good boats, I haven't sailed one.
From your description of desires though, especially enclosed head, I would take a look at smaller hunters. A friend had a 24'( pretty sure it was 24) and it had an enclosed head, a nice cockpit, and sailed quite nicely. If you list your home area, I'm sure others will comment on other good options for you.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 07:57   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

The Mac sails like a water ballasted powerboat.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 08:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2112 View Post
.....my wife and I would like to start taking weekend trips on bigger lakes....for overnight stays.

my only complaint is the lack of an enclosed head
Don't discount the need for a head. What is your wife going to do at 2am when nature calls, go 'swimming'? What about when you wake up in the morning. Sometimes the business of the morning can't be taken care of with a swim.

Overnighting on a boat without a head is impractical. If you are serious about the overnight aspects, I wouldn't consider a boat without a proper head (NOT a porta-pottie) IMHO.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 10:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Don't discount the need for a head. What is your wife going to do at 2am when nature calls, go 'swimming'? What about when you wake up in the morning. Sometimes the business of the morning can't be taken care of with a swim.

Overnighting on a boat without a head is impractical. If you are serious about the overnight aspects, I wouldn't consider a boat without a proper head (NOT a porta-pottie) IMHO.
Ha, great points! The Catalina has a porta-pottie with a curtain lol. In the big scheme of things, this is really a first-world problem for us. I just don't want to sacrifice having a good sailboat versus a possible big bath tub for the sake of having creature comforts.

Chris Mac and Calif.Ted, thanks for the feedback. I feel you are right on the money with how the Mac performs, I'm used to getting a really close haul on my SJ (for example) and would inevitably be disappointed. The key is to not fall for the "allure" of the 26X....but I' going to try and get out on one before ruling them out 100%.
canuck2112 is offline   Reply With Quote