Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2008, 15:41   #1

Update on Buying Shimmer

Well, we bought Shimmer site unseen 2 months ago down in PV Mexico...

Jess and I got married on the 2nd of this month!!! between that and work we have not had a chance to get down there yet, lol. Jess will be flying down on the 28th to take make lists of what is needed to bring her back to S.D. in Oct. More picts can be seen at

shimmer picts pre-purchase - a set on Flickr

All we have atm are the pre-purchase picts jess will be taking a load of new picts while down there. the boat was found on lectonic latitudes by a friend and a link mailed to us. We bought her for $10,000, she is a 1969 41' morgan centerboard and fitted for the most part for blue water already. One of those "you have to be bullshitting" deals :-) sold the old gulfstar for a loss, lol but ended up with a much much better boat.

-Wantokex
Old 26-08-2008, 15:53   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Many congrats on the purchase - You sound so excited. I bet she's as good as advertised!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 16:07   #3

Oh man!That is the deal of the decade.I saw it on lectronic latitude and wondered if it could be true.I am green with envy.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 16:12   #4

thanks, I had a mech take a look at her and he gave me a good price on fixing the blown head gasket, and a great price on a complete engine rebuild with some modifications I wanted done. The P.O. has been a great help with getting me the info I needed the past 2 months. I cant wait to see the complete gear list jess brings back, the picts where mostly taken buy the mech down there so all the gear should be there. I feel like its xmass atm, I wanted to go but somebody has to earn the ducets so we can get going!!!

-Wantokex
Old 26-08-2008, 16:17   #5

Did you get an aries vane with it?One picture shows it.
Old 26-08-2008, 16:25   #6

That's a pretty boat. A fella up here in Seattle used to have one, the same color. He did pretty well racing it too. Your' have the Perkins 4-107?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 16:26   #7

yes, aries vane, solar panel, wind gen, dink and out board, 2 sail sets for the most part + a ton of other stuff is all packed in the forward berth atm, I been paying the mech $150 a month to come aboard a few times a week to air it out and check on it. If anybody is ever in PV and needs any boat work done John Loomis at On-Board Marine Puerto Vallarta has been a great help.

-Wantokex
Old 26-08-2008, 16:35   #8

So you bought it sight unseen.How did you decide it was a real deal?Did you physically meet with the seller?Did you have to travel for this?I assume he wasnt with the boat?The boat is coast guard registered so you got them to do a title search?Just asking as I wish to find a deal like that if I ever get my business sold.
Old 27-08-2008, 10:28   #9

cheechako, yuppers i has a old Perkins 4-107. came with a blown head gasket.

nonam, I sent a down payment right away to the guy with a hope and prayer it was legit to his LLC bank account, then called the local mech and had him ask around and look at the boat for me and get me a feel on what was going on, it all checked out so I bought it, was sent teh CG paperwork as soon as it was payed for... looking back I really did get lucky, I could have been conned in different situation.

-Wantokex

Tags
buying