Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2011, 13:09   #61
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Unsinkable Monohull - Why Not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Sorry but no.. sea chest doesn't have tube to sea
Seems like your splitting hairs here. Its a box that stays full of seawater which you take all your intakes off of. What difference does it make whether it's fed by a thru hull or just open? The thru hull seems much safer since it's got a ball valve on it. Either way your doing the same thing, reducing the number of thru hulls to one for intake. The regular sea strainer for the engine intake is further down the line. What would you call this if not a sea chest? I've seen several that were similar. Not THAT rare.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 13:13   #62

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

You are free to call it anyway you like but how you clean it when clogged below?
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 13:14   #63
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Close the ball valve and open the lid. Takes about 30 seconds.
Old 28-11-2011, 13:15   #64
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And as you can see in the pics, the clear lexan lid lets you see into the chest so you can see whats going on. With the ball valve open you can see right down into the ocean. This means you can see if you suck a plastic bag or whatever over the intake strainer clamshell.
Old 28-11-2011, 13:19   #65

Yes you can but what when the plastic bag is jammed below? Meaning below in the opening in the bottom and maybe partly in the ball valve so you can't close it..
Old 28-11-2011, 13:24   #66
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You'd have to suck it through the external strainer clamshell for that to happen. Not likely. After the ball valve theres only the thickness of the hull before the external strainer clamshell. Not much room to develop a clog out of material that has to fit through the clamshell first. Never seen a clog.
And if you build a sea chest thats totally open to the sea with no valves, then each individual fitting you take off of it is essentially the same as a fitting on the hull. If you cant shut off the sea chest, whats the point? It's the same as having a regular setup, but instead of having thru hulls all over the boat they're all in one place. A little better but not much...
Old 28-11-2011, 13:29   #67

as I said before, they are now above the waterline and cannot flood in..
But now I'm off.. I can sometime dig out something more of the subject
BR Teddy
Old 28-11-2011, 13:37   #68
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
as I said before, they are now above the waterline and cannot flood in..
But now I'm off.. I can sometime dig out something more of the subject
BR Teddy
What's above the waterline? The top of the sea chest? What does that have to do with the intake fittings? If you have to rely on each individual ball valve for each intake coming from the sea chest, I dont see how that's much different than having regular fittings in the hull. Except that they are all in the same place as mentioned before. My setup gives you some degree of redundancy. Even if the main valve failed/was stuck, each intake off the chest is also seperately valved. That means two stages of valving safety for all raw water intakes, and all of it coming from one thru hull. And it's small and easy to remove the whole thing for service if you like. Easy to make and install too.
Old 28-11-2011, 14:41   #69
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Check out this old post from me : http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post334443

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 15:02   #70
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This post on that thread by Camaraderie sounds like it's exactly the same system I have, except the length of hose between the thru hull and the chest. Since mine is factory and it sounds like his was as well, I wouldn't be surprised if it's exactly the same system.

"Well...my Tayana 52 had a sea chest and it is a wonderful idea.
The large through hull connected to a sea cock and a 1.5" hose which then fed a stainless steel cylinder with 6 valved connections off of it. Inside the cylinder was a strainer basket so all water reaching the outlets was clean of debris. The top of the cylinder was a flange with 8 holes in it and fitten on top of that was a rubber gasket AND a drilled plexiglass cover. This was all snugged down by 8 bolts with wing nuts.

The sea chest fed engine, generator, 2 a/c's, and a wash down pump with one spare outlet.
The best thing was that I could look down on the chest and SEE the water flowing and the large strainer was easy to get out and clean and lasted a lot longer than the small in line strainers would otherwise have been. An added bennefit was only one through hull to secure and an easy way to winterize...just keep filling the chest with the pink stuff while the through hull was closed!
We DID have problems with the stainless body corroding at the welds. This was cured by an epoxy interior coating. If making one from scratch today I would be inclined to fabricate it out of fiberglass.
Hope this is helpful. "

Tags
monohull