Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2021, 07:38   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Ultra Leather….worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Ultra suede is a knock-off Alcantara and nothing like as good as the real thing. Very hard to buy though as almost all production goes to superyachts and supercars.
No, that is incorrect. It is the same product that has different brand names around the world. I’m sure you can find that info with Google like I did when I researched it years ago.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:42   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther View Post
Agreed but $100/yd Ouch!
True but checkout this picture: the greenish one is brand new UltraSuede that we’re using to replace the blueish one which is from 1994. Please note that it not just survived that long on a boat, but that the boat has been in the tropics all that time and had three cats aboard for a long time as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDB1822D-567E-4E5B-8851-10782F73163B.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	241380  

Old 01-07-2021, 10:56   #18

Boat: Cheoy Lee PH43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
An additional thought. Depending on the age of your cushions, you may want to replace them before going through the expense of a high end upholstering fabric. Not sure if a quality foam material is easily accessible in Guatemala.

IMO the new high density foam makes a big difference and the cushions are good for a long time.
Yes, I’ll replace the foam also. Necessary as the seating base is being extended by 3” to allow the backrest to incline more.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:21   #19

I did a total makeover in my cabin this spring. All alcantra in a beige colour. Very satisfied this far. In all it was $3000 with the work done for all salon cushions. Not cheap but very good
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:24   #20

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther View Post
I’m having an interior renovation done and one of the items is replacement of the salon upholstery. It will be a lightish colour (beige, sand…).
I would love to have Ultra Leather fabric, but at $70/yard (I need 20 yards) it is a significant cost.
I’m interested to hear from others with experience of Ultra Leather, particularly those who live aboard most of the time, as to whether they think the cost is justified. Also ideas about any less expensive alternatives that have similar qualities.
I had a light tan Ultraleather couch in my Airstream, which I had for 9 years and used for an average of 20 nights a year. It proved to be stain resistant and of no interest to rodents, and wore well. By the time I sold the airstream the carpet was completely shot and the fabric upholstery on the dinette seats was visibly worn with a couple of mouse holes also (probably because food residue was impossible to clean off completely). I have had cheap bonded leather furniture show wear sooner. We had dogs, cats, guests, etc.

I think it's a good product at a price far lower than high quality genuine leather.
Old 01-07-2021, 13:35   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes, original Ultra Leather is worth it… make sure you get the genuine product though, as there are many knock-offs and most fall apart in short time.

Even better is Ultra Suede (called Alcantara in Europe).
Do you been this

https://www.yesfabrics.eu/en/alcanta...ue-marine.html
MicroSuède / Alcantara
https://big-in-fabric.com/en/product...ic/challenger/

or
https://big-in-fabric.com/en/product...ric/alcantara/
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 20:56   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Those are all knock-offs if you ask me. The original is manufactured in Italy of course (land of fabrics) and the website is here: https://www.alcantara.com/

The Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcantara_(material)

And UltraSuede: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasuede

And below some more info I found… note that Toray, who employed the inventor, is the maker of UltraSuede and the Italian company that they speak about is Alcantara:

History of Alcantara and Ultrasuede

Alcantara and Ultrasuede are different marketing names of the same type of material. The material is a textile in the group called microfibers. The material was invented, developed, and patented by Miyoshi Okamoto, a Japanese research scientist at Toray Plastics in 1970. Toray continues to be the manufacturer of these brands in partnership with others. The material was first used in high-end clothing and fashion accessories. Its first use in an automobile was in the Fiat X 1/9 in 1978. Shortly after that, Audi began to use the material in its vehicles and then Lancia used it more extensively. In 2008, after many years of commercialization in partnership with an Italian company, automotive seating kits were established as a product line. In 2009 the material was certified as “carbon neutral” by European regulators. Beginning in late 2014 the Toyota Camry XSE began to ship using Ultrasuede on seats and door panels marking one of the first mainstream automotive applications of the material.

Ultrasuede and Alcantara have a premium feel, a reputation for durability, and is both breathable and high friction. Don’t be surprised if your next automobile offers this material on seats and interior panels on the vehicle’s top trim level.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:57   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We used Brisa Ultraleather on ours. Here's why. It breathes. It has zillions of tiny holes in it. It wears EXTREMELY well. And it's fantastically comfortable. We bought ours off of fleabay. It's been a few years, but we paid around $15-20 a yard, versus the $75 that retailers want. I see a bunch there now in Sand, for about $35 a yard. These are remnants, but one is 10 yards. Contact the seller, and do a deal for all of it.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:37   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

We have owned several cruising boats with different interior upholstery materials in both hot and cold climates. Our preference from best to worse is:

Real leather
Ultra leather
Fabric
Vinyl

For outside cushions Sunbrella over closed cell foam is the best option.

YMMV.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:59   #25

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Another vote for Ultra suede.

We have lived on our boat for 5 years now and it came with light green ultra suede cushions. We have cleaned just about every kind of stain off of them, put them into the washing machine, and they have been coming out like new.

I would get them again if we had to replace them for any reason
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:12   #26

Boat: Aquarius Pilot Cutter, 24'

I haven't heard of Ultra Leather. I'll check it out.

On Ultra Suede:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Even better is Ultra Suede (called Alcantara in Europe).
I recently contacted every Ultra Suede dealer on the Ultra Suede website in North Carolina and within a few hours of my home. None of their distributors existed anymore.

It makes me wary....
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:29   #27

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
We have owned several cruising boats with different interior upholstery materials in both hot and cold climates. Our preference from best to worse is:

Real leather

YMMV.
Can you describe the desirable qualities of the real leather and what sort of specifications it had?

Weight, finish, name/source
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 13:10   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarratt View Post
I haven't heard of Ultra Leather. I'll check it out.

On Ultra Suede:

I recently contacted every Ultra Suede dealer on the Ultra Suede website in North Carolina and within a few hours of my home. None of their distributors existed anymore.

It makes me wary....
Everyone I know just clicks to get it shipped home. Here is where I order it: https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Mar...tem_popularity

Old 02-07-2021, 13:40   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgWesternMass View Post
Can you describe the desirable qualities of the real leather and what sort of specifications it had?

Weight, finish, name/source
Real leather looks and feels nicer in my opinion, and simply improves with age.

For our latest boat after talking with the upholsterer and looking at samples we selected “full grain semi-aniline” leather. We have been very happy with it. The specifications are below:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7056E3A9-8910-451C-800E-D6A44F3A006D.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	241502  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 13:47   #30

Boat: Norseman 400

We have Ultra Suede in buttercream yellow, of all colors. It came with the boat and it does brighten it up. But it does show the dirt.

Whoever made the cushions was a genius, though. The buttons are removable (thanks to the hook-back buttons on the back side) so they can be unzipped, the covers removed from the foam, and thrown into the washer (cold water) every year. They come out remarkably clean. I reinstall the buttons with a big upholstery needle.

We do keep a terry towel on the seats because stuff just gets spilled, and it's easy to throw the towel in the wash.

Best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5000.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	241503  
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote