Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2010, 16:10   #1

Two Friends Around the World - Boat?

I AM HOPING TO GET SOME GOOD IDEAS FOR A BOAT THE YOU THINK WOULD BE SUITABLE FOR MYSELF AND A BUDDY TO SET OFF AND DO SOME MAJOR OCEAN CRUISING? OBVIOUSLY WOULD NOT BE SHARING A BUNK AND IDEALY LIKE SPACE FOR A 3RD TO VISIT FOR SOMETIME. I LOOKIN TO SPEND AROUND 50K AND LOOKIN AT ERICSON 35-38, ISLANDER 36, HUNTER 37 BUT IDE LIKE SOME ADVICE.
THANKS
dniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 16:12   #2

Also, if anyone has done such a thing any other relevent advice would be helpful (i.e costs, insurance, destinations, dealing with other stuff, ect.....)
Old 22-02-2010, 16:46   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
I like the Islander a lot. Some Ericsons are good too, but no first hand knowledge.

Hunters, well, no, thanks.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 16:53   #4

Even the older Hunters....Cherubini's???? I know the newer ones suck. Any other affordable ideas??
Old 22-02-2010, 16:59   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
Plenty. Just browse yachtworld and find what suits you.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 17:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Plenty. Just browse yachtworld and find what suits you.

b.
Really!!!??? No offense, but why take the time wo write that??? If im planning a trip like this you dont think I have done that!!!? Im lookin for some first hand experience and advice on specific boats.
Old 23-02-2010, 06:27   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniello View Post
Even the older Hunters....Cherubini's???? I know the newer ones suck. Any other affordable ideas??
Cherubini 37 cutter.. fantastic sailer... loved mine but..
Minus points are poor live-aboard storage, bulkheads are only tabbed in so that in heavy weather the hull flex's.
If you go for this option peel back the lining and glass the bulkheads in properly...
Flexi-hulls can be very un-nerving mid ocean and can create a terminal weakness... the Hunters are not that well built in these terms which is a shame...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 06:47   #8

Quote:
Really!!!??? No offense, but why take the time wo write that??? If im planning a trip like this you dont think I have done that!!!? Im lookin for some first hand experience and advice on specific boats.
Perhaps if you showed one bit of initiative by doing a search of previous threads, you would see that some form of this question gets asked almost every week.

Coming into a forum and saying "I want to cross an ocean, and I want to do it in a boat with two bunks," doesn't show that you have ANY experience or knowledge whatsoever.

People who are planning on doing "major ocean cruising" should have at least a basic knowledge and experience with some kind of sailing, easily obtainable from books and reading forums (such as this one). The fact that you don't even have a clue -- up to and including the fact that you think you have to mention that you and your friend want two bunks -- shows that you have not done ANYTHING to educate yourself - or, if you have, you haven't shown it.

So, don't come in here and start getting all full of attitude when someone sees that you are an absolute, unknowledgable beginner and suggests that you should start by looking at some boats.

You will learn a lot here, but you have to start with a little more courtesy and a little less attitude.

Of course, I could be wrong.

DGC
DavidGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 06:54   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
BUT IDE LIKE SOME ADVICE.
I'd get a White one.

Quote:
THANKS
No Problem
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 07:00   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

DavidGC... don't be cruel..
He's got experience...
He did/had a Circumcision in this.. Explorer Microcruiser

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 08:21   #11

Yeah....DAVIDGC!!!!! I have been sailing my whole life and have over 7,500 nautical circumcisions under my belt!!! Meany!!!!
Old 23-02-2010, 09:13   #12

I bet those circumcisions are tricky, with the boat rocking back and forth and all.
DavidGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 09:59   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Is the 50K to buy, buy/outfit or buy/outfit/cruise? Figure on $20K-30K outfitting depending on what the boat comes with and condition.

A fair number of the major cruising writers seem to reccomend smaller boats (30' to 35') for couples. Their arguements tend to be along the lines of:
1- easier to maintain, cheaper to maintain,
2- more likely to go for daysails since boat easier to handle,
3- more likely to move boat in questionable circumstances because easier to handle,
4- easier to handle boat in heavy conditions can sometimes manhandle situations rather than having to finesse everything due to high load.

Consider the layout of the boat you buy. Many cruising couples like having the galley right by the companionway for ventilation. However since you don't sound like you will be involved with your partner you might prefer a boat with 2 quarterberths so you each have your own space and don't have to hotbunk underway. Quarterberths are a nice way to get permanant berths without costing lots of cabin space. Also I feel they are in the most comfortable location motionwise.

With this in mind you might take a look at a Cal 29, Cal 34, Ranger 33, Cascade 29. If you really want to go bigger Cascade 37, Ranger 37 or my dream boat a Cal 40.

A smaller, cheaper boat lets you more reasonably forego insurance, a significant running expense, especially offshore, though this may have changed since the last time I looked into it.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 10:02   #14

Great post! Thanks very much
Old 23-02-2010, 11:16   #15

Zac Sunderland recently completed a 13 mo. solo circumnavigation in a ‘72 Islander 36. However, this was a sponsored trip and the boat underwent a very extensive refit before departure. And that’s the real issue with most of the boats mentioned. They’re old, and no matter how well built and maintained, they are unlikely to be as strong as they were 30 years ago. This wouldn’t be a big deal if you were talking about cruising the Bahamas/Caribbean. But crossing oceans is different - you want the best condition, strongest boat possible because over the course of 5 years you will inevitably be caught out in bad weather when there is no nearby safe harbor or quick escape.

I agree on the sleeping quarters. Sea berths (eg. settees with lee cloths) are fine and desirable for long passages. But, once you anchor some place where you want to stay for awhile, they pretty much suck. In most boats under about 40 feet one of the built-in sleeping areas is likely to be sacrificed for storage - the V berth is usually the first to go. Twin aft quarter berths might be a good layout for your intended use.

The biggest issue for most budgets is that the boat you want and can afford for crossing oceans is often not the boat you want when you get to the other side.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world