Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2011, 10:47   #16

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Two Anchors ?

more than one anchor is a good idea since you never know when you might lose one. I have a rocna as my primary and a fortress ready to go any time as well as a third anchor not as ready to go. but in an 8 month trip to the caribbean anchoring out most of the time I cant remember seeing anyone with two anchors out. Maybe that was because there were no reversing currents where we anchored and the bottom was usually pretty good, but I would far rather spend the money on a good new age anchor than hassle with a bahamian moor. (we stopped in the abacos for a week on the way home and I dont remember seeing anyone with two anchors out there either, but I wasnt particularly looking for them)
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 11:01   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
more than one anchor is a good idea since you never know when you might lose one. I have a rocna as my primary and a fortress ready to go any time as well as a third anchor not as ready to go. but in an 8 month trip to the caribbean anchoring out most of the time I cant remember seeing anyone with two anchors out. Maybe that was because there were no reversing currents where we anchored and the bottom was usually pretty good, but I would far rather spend the money on a good new age anchor than hassle with a bahamian moor. (we stopped in the abacos for a week on the way home and I dont remember seeing anyone with two anchors out there either, but I wasnt particularly looking for them)
As another poster said before very few folks use two hooks now. Usually they are newbies who read someplace that two hooks are needed. The worst is when a newbie comes into the anchorage and puts two hooks down when everyone else has one. This happens more often than you think in the Bahamas.
Old 31-10-2011, 11:53   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Using 2 anchors without a very specific reason is not a good idea IMHO.
The 2 anchors do not often significantly increase the holding powe,r as the boats force is directed to one anchor or the other. The anchors are “walked” backwards.
2 Anchors will cause you to swing very differently to boats on a single anchor. Therefore it is a technique that should be used with caution where other boats already in the anchorage that are lying at a single anchor.
If you drag you will tangle the 2 anchors. This is a nightmare. I have watched professional crew with support boats spend several hours trying to untangle the mess.
A high holding, oversized, single anchor is a better solution unless there is a specific reason to use multiple anchors.
The reason for setting multiple anchors is, frequently, a lack of confidence in the boats holding power. Often this impression is correct, unfortunately
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 12:40   #19

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
2 anchors ready to go on the bow. Fortress for mud, Manson supreme for the rest. Occasionally we use both - both well out and well set OR one out and set while the other is sitting next to a pile of chain beneath the boat. A couple of times we have used them in series when we know we won't swing too much and there are strong winds and little room for a decent scope.

Time to upsize the Manson so there is no more mucking about with anchors in series!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 12:43   #20

Boat: Rafiki 37

As others have said, carrying two anchors ready to deploy covers the widest variety of bottoms. I like a plow or spade (bower) in combination with a danforth-style. Covers everything other than hard rock.

As for hanging on two anchors, the main non-storm reason to use this is to reduce swing. Busy or small anchorages may call for a Bahamian moor or a stern anchor, but launching two off the bow in a V does not increase holding. You still hang on one at a time. I even wonder if this V arrangement actually reduces holding since you are rythmically tugging and then easing the load on each anchor. Anchors hold by digging down, so a firm constant pull is the best in my experience.

The only time we launch two anchors (other than to restrict swing) is when we set them up in tandem on the same rode. This is similar to the use of kellet but it also adds directly to the holding power since both anchors are pulling in the same line.
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 13:45   #21

Boat: Peterson 46

I had 2 identical anchors [manson 60lb plows]and chain [10mm tested short link], 2 hawse pipes and bow rollers. So either anchor is ready to deploy independant of the other.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9030002.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	33148

I dont put both down. The 2nd is there for use as a spare if neeeded. [The spare is the older anchor/chain] I can join the chains if necessary. I have used a small plow to use as an extra chained with ~6m to the front of main anchor. This setup is so as to slow any drag to allow it to reset. This has not occurred and I have been anchored in 40+kn and decent slop.

Since I am off the boat for another year and just doing the weekend warrior stuff, I have sold the older spare anchor/chain setup - it would only collect rust.

I may look at a Rocna type of spade when I head off again.

Also, rinsing chain in fresh water will accelerate rusting! Use of stainless shackles between galvenised chain/anchor is detrimental as they are not stainless in the water, only when on deck.
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 14:19   #22

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
As another poster said before very few folks use two hooks now. Usually they are newbies who read someplace that two hooks are needed. The worst is when a newbie comes into the anchorage and puts two hooks down when everyone else has one. This happens more often than you think in the Bahamas.
Agreed the only time I've seen it done is in Charleston/StAugustine where there is some serious tidal currents, and they were anchored for a week or more. I'd say 90% of the full time cruisers use a plow as their #1, and the fortress/danforth as #2, and 50% have a large fortress packed away as a hurricane anchor. Fortress for soft mud, the plow for everything else.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 14:29   #23

Boat: Bombay PH 31

I've got two Bruce types up front on rollers have had much less hassle than stowing a danforth up there.
Why two anchors? See my pic, that’s taken right after main dragged. I'd have hit the rocks if only one was out.

no hassle basically, helm up drop primary till 1/3 more rode than I want is out, then fall off and drop second(easier in a ketch probably) or you can always row one out in dink. I try for one north one east or vicea versa depends.

In tidal, same thing but 180 from each other, just don’t get down wind anchor in rudder and don’t ask how I know to be careful on that J
Old 31-10-2011, 16:23   #24

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
2 anchors ready to go on the bow. Fortress for mud, Manson supreme for the rest. Occasionally we use both - both well out and well set OR one out and set while the other is sitting next to a pile of chain beneath the boat. A couple of times we have used them in series when we know we won't swing too much and there are strong winds and little room for a decent scope.

Time to upsize the Manson so there is no more mucking about with anchors in series!
Jim what size is your current manson and what size are you concidering moving to.

I am a fan of oversize anchor and all chain rode from my time amongst the GBR and Coral Sea.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 17:23   #25

Boat: Beneteau 50

If you have a "V" off the bow made by 2 anchors and similar length rodes, IMHO make sure the angle of the "V" is greater than 90 degrees. That way, when you swing, the rode from one anchor can't tangle in the other anchor.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 17:41   #26

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Despite what some say here, there are those of us with some experience (35+ years, umpteen thousands of miles, Labrador to Panama) who use two anchors frequently and know how to do so and get good results. For example, my boat was one of only two that did not drag anchor in a 56-knot Chocosana blow in the San Blas Islands--both of us that didn't drag had out two anchors. Similarly, I used two anchors during a Chesapeake tornado and stayed put while others dragged away. Of course I've also used them in various hurricanes and tropical storms. Used two anchors recently to supplement a mooring during the passage of Irene. I use two anchors to drastically limit my swinging room even when there is moderate wind--much more so than short scope on chain. I use two when there is a reversing current, as is found in many anchorages. I use two sometimes when I want to reduce oscillations at anchor, or hold my boat at a better angle to a swell. Lots of great seamanlike reasons for using two anchors, and no they aren't difficult to use if you study and practice how to do it right. Biggest mistake most make is to set the second anchor using the big boat--almost always easier to use the dinghy for that.
Old 31-10-2011, 19:08   #27

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
+1 for one good anchor for routine use and carrying at least three for different situations stowed on deck or in basement! Light weight lunch picks not on my boat cos have a powered windlass.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 15:58   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
. Used two anchors recently to supplement a mooring during the passage of Irene.
Can you please explain how that lays out?
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 17:34   #29

Boat: Finnsailer 38

A mooring is nothing more than a big anchor. In big storms I have frequently backed up a mooring by taking an anchor or two way out in the dinghy on mostly nylon. Spread them out in a V pattern on either side of the expected worst direction in some cases, other times I have had them at 180 degrees to each other if I was expecting a big wind shift and strong winds and seas from the opposite direction. Lead the lines to the bow. Sure, they get wound up a bit, but I keep the balance of the line on deck in a sailbag and I just uncleat and unwind the lines after the blow is over. You have to use different set ups for different configurations. A typical mooring will only have 3:1 scope or less, for ordinary conditions. With Irene they were predicting an 8-foot storm surge where I was (ended up being 3 feet) so the extra scope on the anchors could have been very useful. As it was the mooring held fine, but some other boats did move their moorings. Typical New England moorings have very little holding power other than their weight.
Old 01-11-2011, 17:56   #30

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2010

Can you please explain how that lays out?
Yep did the same in Irene I had worst winds from east one anchor went NNE other went SSE. Killets laid the lines down on the bottom. Mooring held but had it dragged or both pendent s parted I would have fallen back on the Anchors My mooring is on the edge of the. Field and that is an advantage in this respect.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor