Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2021, 15:09   #1

Trying to narrow the search a larger sized cruiser.

Hi Everyone… I am new in the community, so nice meeting you all. Retirement is coming and the plan is cursing the Caribbean and potentially jumping the pound for a couple of seasons in the Med, or vice versa, depending on where it starts. (I know… very original isn’t it?)

After a lot of reading and YouTube… the idea is an ocean capable 45 to 50 foot… and the designs that called my attention are quite different in nature. A Caliber 47 LRC x a slightly older Amel. I am not in a rush to pull the trigger -- I am still “grounded” for a few years -- but it would be nice to focus the search.

There is also the possibility of an even older Hylas 46 or similar designs of late 80’s, with more room for a refit, but at some point age becomes a heavier factor in maintenance. It would be get your ideas, especially if you had experience with how these designs perform in heavier weather and how well they hold to time under normal conditions.

Thanks
AB
abraghetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 15:15   #2
cruiser

Re: Trying to narrow the search a larger sized cruiser.

Without out mentioning any budget, you'll get about a million suggestions. We've seen guys say that $1000 boats are good enough for them. Here's one me and my partners are looking at right now, the Alva 50, monohull, electric boat. Looks pretty good.
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 15:21   #3

AB:

To enable us to help you to the greatest possible extent we need to know something about:

1) What your practical sailing experience is.
2) What particular boats you have sailed in the past, if any.
3) What sailing courses, including such things as navigation, you may have taken so far.
4) What your budget is.
5) Whether you propose to sail all by yourself, with a partner, or with a family. If the latter, how many people the "crew" will consist of.

Start with that, and let 'er rip :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 16:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
Without out mentioning any budget, you'll get about a million suggestions. We've seen guys say that $1000 boats are good enough for them. Here's one me and my partners are looking at right now, the Alva 50, monohull, electric boat. Looks pretty good.
Link? How does it compare to the boat your currently have?
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 17:22   #5

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Bula, bula from Fiji AB,

Hoping that you'll gain help and useful information from joining and posting in the forum. But as others have suggested your question is a little fuzzy and might be a little wide to receive any decent answers.

Always do feel free to post your own thoughts, questions and ideas here on CF. The forum only works when people post, and 95% of members here seem reluctant. Don't be a lurker. Good luck with your search and let us know if you find anything.
Old 01-03-2021, 18:53   #6

Boat: Sabre 402

Your aspirations are nice, but vague. With such wide-open options, no price constraints, and no idea if you prefer long-haul voyaging or island hopping, posters can chime in with suggestions that go from J/44's to Swans, by way of Beneteaus, Hunters, Catalinas, Hinckleys and everything in between. You will not find this helpful. Do some more thinking about the kind of sailing you want to do and the kind of boat you're looking for. It may end up being a catamaran -- and opening up a whole new can of worms. Who knows?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 19:47   #7

Guys sorry for the confusion. I assumed it was somewhat implied by my general comment … It is mostly costal cruising/ island hopping with an eventual longer passage and a small crew (say 2 or 3). I have some experience with smaller boats (25 to 32 feet) but none with these… I am doing my “long distance review” (given the Covit limitations on travel) but during these readings, those 3 models stood up: Caliber 47 / Super Maramu / Hylas 46 and “similar” (and by that, I mean Tatyana 48 and the Hylas 47..). I was wondering if anyone with exposure to those models can share a bit about sea kindness and how well they age.

AB
abraghetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 20:09   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Aah but AB you cursed the Caribbean and opted for the Mediterranean.
Not really coastal cruising so presumably you're planning to buy a yacht in Europe.
So I'd not bother with Hylas or Caliber.
I'd be looking at the likes of Halberg Rassey, Ovni, Bavaria to name a few.
(And oh yes don't forget 240 volts too.)
Old 02-03-2021, 05:22   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraghetta View Post
Guys sorry for the confusion. I assumed it was somewhat implied by my general comment … It is mostly costal cruising/ island hopping with an eventual longer passage and a small crew (say 2 or 3). I have some experience with smaller boats (25 to 32 feet) but none with these… I am doing my “long distance review” (given the Covit limitations on travel) but during these readings, those 3 models stood up: Caliber 47 / Super Maramu / Hylas 46 and “similar” (and by that, I mean Tatyana 48 and the Hylas 47..). I was wondering if anyone with exposure to those models can share a bit about sea kindness and how well they age.

AB
We cant read your mind, and you did say "ocean capable", And I, and others , gave examples of some such boats.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:35   #10

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraghetta View Post
Hi Everyone… I am new in the community, so nice meeting you all. Retirement is coming and the plan is cursing the Caribbean and potentially jumping the pound for a couple of seasons in the Med, or vice versa, depending on where it starts. (I know… very original isn’t it?)

After a lot of reading and YouTube… the idea is an ocean capable 45 to 50 foot… and the designs that called my attention are quite different in nature. A Caliber 47 LRC x a slightly older Amel. I am not in a rush to pull the trigger -- I am still “grounded” for a few years -- but it would be nice to focus the search.

There is also the possibility of an even older Hylas 46 or similar designs of late 80’s, with more room for a refit, but at some point age becomes a heavier factor in maintenance. It would be get your ideas, especially if you had experience with how these designs perform in heavier weather and how well they hold to time under normal conditions.

Thanks
AB
Looks like that Hylas 46 is a good boat and is listed on the Mahina Offshore Boat List as is my $2,000 Bristol 27.

https://www.mahina.com/cruise.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:41   #11

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
This is my favorite $1,000 sailboat that is also loaded with electronics to include the pypilot the owner of the boat developed.

It steers the boat using and old windshield wiper motor.

He also contributes to OpenCPN which is what I have loaded on my onboard computers for navigation.

The skipper crossed three oceans on this boat.

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/se...-and-alexandra

https://svcrystalblues.blogspot.com/...ne-around.html

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:46   #12
cruiser

Beneteau recognizes the CE ratings system, and this is what they say.
https://www.beneteau.com/en/page-act...ns-boat-buyers

We see there that one of its criterea is number of passenger. If A rated for say 10 passengers, but you take off with 20 aboard, the rating is lower.......because their ratings concern stability.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:29   #13

Quote:
We cant read your mind, and you did say "ocean capable", And I, and others , gave examples of some such boats.
The OP wants to cruise the Caribbean and possibly cross to the Med ---- on a sailboat. Exactly how would a solar-powered motoryacht that hasn't been built yet do that, even with generator and but 300 g of diesel tankage?

https://www.alva-yachts.com/en/eco-cruise50

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:10   #14

AB:

Please don't take my words amiss. They are not meant to be harsh, but rather to drive the thread back to a tenor that may be helpful to you, and to others who may have aspirations similar to yours.

You said: "Guys sorry for the confusion. I assumed it was somewhat implied by my general comment … It is mostly costal cruising/ island hopping with an eventual longer passage and a small crew (say 2 or 3). I have some experience with smaller boats (25 to 32 feet) but none with these… I am doing my “long distance review” (given the Covit limitations on travel) but during these readings, those 3 models stood up: Caliber 47 / Super Maramu / Hylas 46 and “similar” (and by that, I mean Tatyana 48 and the Hylas 47..). I was wondering if anyone with exposure to those models can share a bit about sea kindness and how well they age."

I take it that you meant the words quoted above to be a reply to my request to you in post #3. So why aren't we making headway?

Probably because you give no indication in what you've said so far that you have the ability to handle a Super Maramu, or anything like it, even in local-cum-coastal cruising.

You will recall that someone, allegedly a professional seafarer, said: "O God, thy sea is so great and my boat is so small"

Two "take aways" are to be found in those words:

1) Even a Super Maramu, and all others like it, is but a cockleshell when "the scattered waters rave and the winds their revels keep"

and the corollary:

2) It is not the boat that takes the man safely across oceans (the EU's classification scheme notwithstanding!) - it's the man that takes the boat safely across oceans.

IMO no-one actively crossing oceans is likely to respond to your original question unless your words carry some indication that you already know enough to evaluate a particular design's sea kindliness on the basis of published data, and to evaluate, by doing your own condition survey, how well any particular boat that might be a candidate for your ownership has aged.

So let's hear from you why, precisely, you would find the Super Maramu suitable for what you wish to do. Then we can take it from there.

All the best :-)

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:59   #15

Boat: Nauticat 43

A friend of ours sold his shoal draft Caliber 47 and said he thought his previous Caliber 40 was a much superior boat for sailing. He had low regard for the Caliber 47 although he maintained it to an excellent standard. Apparently, the designs are completely different; i.e. the 47 isn't just a scaled 40. Another friend had an Amel Super Maramu and loved it for its comfort, strength in a gale, and general sailing characteristics. We have friends who had a Hylas 46 for years sailing it from Texas to Australia. They had high regard for their boat. Otherwise, have you considered the Nauticat 52 pilothouse sailboat?

Tags
arc, cruise, cruiser, size