Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 10:36   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: true north cutter 34
True north 34/ noon ocean question

Hi all, I have a 1983 true north that was built in Vancouver. I'm putting in new stainless steel standing rigging, and was wanting to see what others have for the diameter size of their stays and shrouds. Also want to see if anyone has replaced their chain plates, and if any modifications were made when new ones were put back in. Any input would be great, thanks. My boat is "Invictus", and she's in Bellingham Washington. Cheers
justsammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:40   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: True north 34/ noon ocean question

Talk to some riggers and get quotes from each. They will size accordingly and if you feel he need to oversize just mention it.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 17:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Talk to some riggers and get quotes from each. They will size accordingly and if you feel he need to oversize just mention it.

I had a rigging survey done, and he didn't know what size they should be, but felt that there should be more variety in the diameters of my shrouds and stays according to the loads they're carrying. He recommended some complex and unclear tests to find out what the actual loads are. I figured I would ask some folks what they have on their same boats instead.
Old 03-03-2017, 18:43   #4
Marine Service Provider

I put new chainplates on my True North 34 and moved them to the outside of the hull. The old chainplates were embedded in the deck and did not connect whatsoever with the hull. The deck was sopping wet and was replaced also. Took the opportunity to install new backing plates all around and reinstall the stanchions with exterior backing plates like on the H.C.'s. Feel much better with plates I can see and maintain everywhere. New shrouds are the same size as the old. 1/4 inch with staylock mechanical attachments all around.
chebba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 21:26   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebba View Post
I put new chainplates on my True North 34 and moved them to the outside of the hull. The old chainplates were embedded in the deck and did not connect whatsoever with the hull. The deck was sopping wet and was replaced also. Took the opportunity to install new backing plates all around and reinstall the stanchions with exterior backing plates like on the H.C.'s. Feel much better with plates I can see and maintain everywhere. New shrouds are the same size as the old. 1/4 inch with staylock mechanical attachments all around.
Thanks for the info. What diameter are your forestay and backstay. And are all your shrouds 1/4"? And, when you moved the chain plates out board, how did you deal with the change in load angles on the mast, and the change in the sheets pathway and angle to the sails? Did it change your ability to trim in the sails? Thanks again
Old 03-03-2017, 21:43   #6
Marine Service Provider

The lowers were moved out a bit but I don't think it makes that big a difference. It is nice to have the decks open. They were moved out on the original angle. The uppers and caps were just inside the hull to start even though they did not attach to the hull so they moved very little. I didn't want any chainplates hidden in the deck. I also moved the jib car track towards the outside of the deck a little ways.
Old 20-05-2017, 06:45   #7
Marine Service Provider

How is the work going? did you put in new chainplates?
Old 20-05-2017, 20:31   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
How is the work going? did you put in new chainplates?
Hi, I'm about to order all new standing rigging, and install it myself. As for the chain plates, I have found no way of inspecting them yet, short of cutting the completely out of the deck, and ruining the deck around them. So, they're still in place, and I'll try to peek at them from the top, under the cover plates, to see if I find any signs of corrosion.
Old 27-05-2017, 10:56   #9

Boat: True North 34'

Quote:
Hi Chebba I have a TRue North 34 now in Sydney harbour Australia.(formerly "Phase Three" now named "Apsara")..lots of work to complete and a lot done...have been thinking for ages about moving the chain plates through the hull particularly the lowers, clearing deck space. I am keen to get details of reinforcements and backing plates etc with pics, to set mine up if you manage it. Did you get engineers to let look at loads etc and design new SS plates? Worried the hull will need extra support. Cheers Peter - can we email each other?
Glencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 19:15   #10
Marine Service Provider

Peter, email me ... Chebbaski@gmail.com. I put everything out side the hull. Reinforced the hull a bit with fiberglass, clothe and extra 3/8 plywood. Then I put aluminum backing plAtes on each chain plate. It wasn't really necessary. It whatever. If you carry out the lowers on the same angle what diff can that make? The uppers Are on the side of the hull move one inch to the outside of the ill. No diff. Get someone with experience to make the chainplates. Have him come out and get the shape of the boat. It is important to get the pins lined up squarely so no odd stress on them. I also moved the jib track outwards to have open decks. I had the pleasure of putting in new decks and resetting all hardware correctly at the same time. What fun!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum