Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2015, 13:23   #136

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Re: True blue water boat extinction a fait accompli?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Yes, I can certainly say that there are production boat designs built today that are safe, comfortable and "BWB". Safer and more comfortable than the designs you are stuck on for several reasons - including stability and strength.

Mark
No doubt about that, I am sure there are. As a matter fact, I read and saw drawing of a boat Bob Perry is working on, new Full keel carbon fiber boat for a customer. I cannot imagine the cost. Had I won the 500million the other night I might have a better idea.

What boats do you consider BWB besides hinckley?

I would go for a Cape George cutter or BCC 28 which can still be had brand new, starting around $300k.

My reality is that I cannot afford a brand new boat of any kind really. A production boat,new Catalina 31, is like 150K, way beyond my means. I am not stuck on any boat design really but I did some reading and a little research. What I did was chose an older boat of a design, that I read and was proven, to get me places in most conditions, as long as I could handle it. Honestly, I wanted a Westsail 32, could not afford it. After seeing the video of that boat on youtube riding out the perfect storm, one would have a hard time arguing that that boat was/is a safe ride when the poop hit the fan, it has everything needed....just flat out could not afford it.
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 13:31   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
The OP is talking nonsense! And maybe reading it in books, too. There are more folks cruising greater distances in more different boats than ever before. <snip>

The reason lots of people cruise old boats is that they can be incredibly cost effective, not because they are necessarily better Water boats">blue water boats. Just a better bang for the buck. But people make extraordinary claims to justify their choices and decisions.
Well said.

Sundae
Old 17-02-2015, 21:04   #138

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
If you look at the boats people are really cruising with, and you ask them their preferemces, you'll likely start to get a picture of the most desirable qualities in a "bluewater boat."
An interesting thing is that you'll get a very different picture depending on the native tongue of the people you ask...

Ask the French what their ultimate BWB is, and they'll present you with an RM, and Allures, or if they're of a more conservative bend, an OVNI... It they want to go extreme they'll propose a Boreal.
All boats that in nothing look like the image many people here seem to have of what makes a proper BWB.

It's also quite interesting to see what kinds of boats yacht designers themselves are sailing. Often they sail designs that are even more "extreme" then what they design for the big yards.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 21:31   #139

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
I wanted a Westsail 32, could not afford it. ....just flat out could not afford it.

you didnt look hard enough, there are a number of W32 being re-claimed by the water that surrounds them..
there happens to be one just a few boats down from me that somebody decided to do a re-fit on and pulled the mast and bought new hardware and then the guys family took him off the boat and put him in a home..
Its up for sale for 5k.. and its a project boat.. probably be pulled in a year or so, stripped, cut up and put in a dumpster....
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 21:44   #140

Boat: Passport 40

Just thought I would mention that Hans Christian is still building full keel, heavy displacement boats.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 00:28   #141

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

The size of cruising sail boats has increased during the decades. In the past typical blue water boat was around 30', now most are 40' and over. The size of the boat affects the seaworthiness more than any other factor. So IMHO smaller boats choose full keel etc, bigger one doesn't matter so much..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 05:42   #142

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
What boats do you consider BWB besides hinckley?
I'm cruising around in a catamaran - you won't like, or agree with, any of my answers to that question.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 05:48   #143
CLOD

Boat: none

My guess is that 90+% of people asking about a BWB is asking the wrong question really. That's because they don't need one and what they should be asking is about what boats make good cruisers.

I think the BTB question more about a way to justify your boat choice when it was:
1 - an older boat that you really got because of the lower boat price
2 - an expensive boat when you really got it to be fancy and "nice" but needed to justify it in your mind

That leaves the "production boats" in the middle to be attacked be they people who got boats 1 or 2.
Old 18-02-2015, 05:56   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
My guess is that 90+% of people asking about a BWB is asking the wrong question really. That's because they don't need one and what they should be asking is about what boats make good cruisers.

I think the BTB question more about a way to justify your boat choice when it was:
2 - an expensive boat when you really got it to be fancy and "nice" but needed to justify it in your mind

That leaves the "production boats" in the middle to be attacked be they people who got boats 1 or 2.
Good Answer.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 06:01   #145

Quote:

I think people who own old outdated design boats, like hammering home the BWB theme on forums as helps keep the market alive for their boats for when it's time to sell
Old 18-02-2015, 06:20   #146

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

I think this is actually quite true and perceptive.

I would only add to this, however, that it works both ways. I mean, that people in these mostly fairly stupid discussions tend to divide into camps according to how they justify their own choice of boat, which is not the way to actually learn anything.

So the passionate defenders of production boats are just imagining 90%+ of the "attacks" on their choice of boat. In the other 10% of cases, however, there is often a lot of personal choice justification going on, as Don described it.

I wish people could be more mature and stop dividing up into camps -- it does not lead to enlightenment.

This phrase is good: "[W]hat they should be asking is about what boats make good cruisers. . . "

Exactly. And the answer, of course, may be very different for different people.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 06:58   #147

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:

somebody finally making some sense

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 07:16   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
somebody finally making some sense

Certainly some common sense here but I believe that we all tend to believe our own ******** and I mean believe it. The guys who think that heavy long keeled boats are best really believe it just the same as the guys who believe entry level production boats are their best choice, they believe it. The Cat guys are the same but they sometimes approach religion in their beliefs, lol. I don't think people try to justify what they have or what they can afford, I think they have convinced themselves and it is part of their belief system and do you know what....its what makes this forum entertaining, who would tune in here if everyone believed the same stuff.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 07:19   #149

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Certainly some common sense here but I believe that we all tend to believe our own ******** and I mean believe it. The guys who think that heavy long keeled boats are best really believe it just the same as the guys who believe entry level production boats are their best choice, they believe it. The Cat guys are the same but they sometimes approach religion in their beliefs, lol. I don't think people try to justify what they have or what they can afford, I think they have convinced themselves and it is part of their belief system and do you know what....its what makes this forum entertaining, who would tune in here if everyone believed the same stuff.
I don't believe that.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 07:24   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
...just the same as the guys who believe entry level production boats are their best choice, they believe it.

I see what you did there, but who conflates production boats with "entry level"?

Like you said, it's sometimes difficult to hide one's own biases or preferences.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water