Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2021, 11:50   #1

Trucking Cross Country

Looking at buying a sailboat which would need to be trucked about 1500 miles. What is the best way to transport a 28 ft sailboat with 35 ft mast on deck, which is on a yard trailer (no title, only bill of sale) about 1500 miles in the US.
There is something called uShip when Googling, and many companies individually listed.
Does the regular sailboat style trailer give enough support against the hull?
Maybe a boat on the trailer on a lowboy might be too tall?
vectorfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 11:59   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Trucking Cross Country

At least in Florida trailers are registered on a Bill of Sale, and don't have titles.

I can't speak to the condition/roadworthiness of your trailer or to your wheels, but self hauling that with a suitable pickup truck should be explored before you pay by the mile.
Old 28-12-2021, 12:24   #3

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'
Re: Trucking Cross Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorfins View Post
Looking at buying a sailboat which would need to be trucked about 1500 miles. What is the best way to transport a 28 ft sailboat with 35 ft mast on deck, which is on a yard trailer (no title, only bill of sale) about 1500 miles in the US.
There is something called uShip when Googling, and many companies individually listed.
Does the regular sailboat style trailer give enough support against the hull?
Maybe a boat on the trailer on a lowboy might be too tall?
I went through a similar situation last summer. Bought a 27' Watkins - on a trailer that hadn't been registered in 20+ years. Had to get a bonded title before I could move the boat, took all summer. I only moved it about 100 miles and the trailer is 'road worthy'; built specifically for the boat for transport. Boat is 10' wide so also had to get permitted.

Lot's of things to consider.
  • If it's truly on a 'yard trailer', meaning unfit for highway use, it will (probably) have to be lifted off and set on a 'boat hauler' designed for that purpose. The hauler will most likely not move the boat on the trailer. Too much liability.
  • If the boat is over 8'6" wide, you will need permits to move it on the highway. Permits are issued by the states so you will need one for every state you go through.
  • Depending on the state, you may be relegated to certain routes and times of transit.
A licensed boat hauler will take care of all the permitting etc. You will probably have to arrange the lift.

If you hire a hauler then you have to decide what to do with the trailer. You could sell it where it is. If it is road worthy empty, you could tow it to your destination. Usually a BoS is adequate to tow from one place to another (but there is always that one cop...) I'd guess every state has a bonded title process (you want to title it in the state where it will be located). The question is: how long will it take? Like I said, it took me all summer, because of staff shortages due to COVID,