Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 12:43   #1

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II
trouble docking

im having trouble docking only when the wind is from the east. i have a catwalk next to me which i am not concerned about rubbing or bumping, just dont want to do it to my neighbors boat. i only have bow and stern cleats and right now the only issue i have is returning to the slip. as of right now i put it into neutral on the outboard and run to the port side to fend off the bulkhead and push the bow towards the catwalk, then hop off and walk it in. i have guidelines but in a strong wind they will stretch. while this does get me in without causing any real concern it does look a bit chaotic because i have to be 3 places at once. is there any tips anyone can give me? ive tried alot of different things like using the boat pole to pull me in but it doesnt do much good. i sail single handed 99 percent of the time and usually is very calm and controlled, just the hard east wind that gets me . thanks
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 13:25   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Re: trouble docking

So I think we need a little more orientation to your slip.

Where does the East Wind come from in relation to your finger dock..?
Is the east wind coming from the finger dock and keeping you off..?

The wind doesn't generally blow from the east in lavalette..the prevailing winds are southwest, so hopefully it's not a daily occurance.

Generally speaking you'd want to come into the wind at a sharp angle; somwhere between 45 and 90 degrees...and then turn sharply at the last minute to bring your beam to the finger dock. You may need to go down the fairway turn around and come back into the wind...if that's what it takes to get your bow into the wind.

It's a little hard to tell what the situation is without more info.
Old 05-06-2011, 13:34   #3

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II

the bow is facing north with the east to my starboard as well as the winds ill draw a diagram up here in a few minutes
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 13:56   #4

The problem will be with the bow falling off. The easiest solution is a midship cleat or slightly forward. This will hold the boat and the bow in giving you time to do the rest. Coming in a little faster with reverse engaged with a kick of reverse to stop it will also kick the bow to stb holding you up, while you can then use the midship cleat even hopping off first if the wind is not too strong.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 14:19   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'

As with the previous poster, rig up an after leading spring on your forward breast cleat, if you can, make up a line, so as you are coming up to the dock you can drop the eye on the cleat that is on the finger dock , and as the vessel's stern swing continues into the dock hop off with the stern line in hand and make it fast, then you can adjust everything at your leisure.

Tags
Docking