Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2010, 04:02   #1

Triple Slab Reefing for Beneteau 411 ?

I am very likely to buy a Bene 411 in Sydney in the next few days. We are planning to sail it back across the bight to Perth in early Jan. It currently has 2 slab reefs in the main and a furling headsail. My feeling is it would need 3 slab reefs in main and also stormsail backup to be prepared for what the bight can throw up. Does any one have any experience with the 411 in heavy weather (45+) and best sail config or other general hints!

ta colcam (new user)
colcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 05:17   #2

Boat: Oceanis 411
I have the furling main. I furl/reef early and am regularly surprised how little sail I need to hit the polar numbers.
Last weekend I was pulling in the main a bit for balance at 14kts TWS and getting target boat speed with less than 15deg heel. The boat you are looking at with the classic or perf rig will be even more so. I'd be thinking of the 3rd for sure.
Old 27-10-2010, 05:34   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I just got a new main from Rolly Tasker when I was in Thailand

My old main had full battens and 2 reefs. I was tossing up a 3rd reef but instead went for a DEEP second reef. Also I scrapped the full length battens and have short ones.

now the boat is perfect

As for storm jib. How would you attach it? Get a second forestay as your genoa will be furled on the main one?

I dont have a storm jib and can't see how it can be used unless you take the genoa down... which you wont wanna do in 45 knots. (or even 30)

With good weather infro on HF (sony ssb receivers are good) you can change early sometimes..... but is it worth the hassel? I just furl the thing till theres just a scrap out and sail with that. It might be beaten by a race boat but I'm not racing.
I can also judiciously use the engine in bad weather and motor sail

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 05:53   #4

Thanks guys
Was thinking main storm sail as back up if three reefs was not enough. ie the little hankies that you can hoist up the mainsail track. Agree I would just furl the heady right in to a scrap to balance up the main (or stormsail) in a blow.
Old 27-10-2010, 06:33   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I've got a different Bene (first 456), but it likes less main and more headsail. I have 3 reefs in the main, but am more likely to drop it completely after it gets too fresh for the second reef. OTOH, I try to plan things so that in winds over 35 knots I don't need to go to weather.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:12   #6

Boat: Jeanneua 36
Re: Triple Slab Reefing for Beneteau 411 ?

i still have the origanal main(2 reefs)and furler,getting a bit baggy now,definatly go for the 3rd. reef.you can get a storm jib that fits over the furler,a bit clumsy but better then streatshing hell out of that lovely new sail.ive found that 2 reefs no headsail and 50kts on the nose she will make 2or 3 kts to wind ward,moter ticking over at 1200,any faster she tends to slam in the head seas,but quiet comfy down below.i run all my reefing lines back to the cockpit so putting a reef in takes no time atall.sail prop and clean bottem makes all the differance to the sailing performance of the 411.
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:44   #7

Boat: departure 35

I was just looking at a storm jib that goes around the rolled up roller jib and attaches back to itself. Then you use an extra halyard to pull it up. It looks great and I'll probably be buying one. I'm sorry I forgot the name brand. I only have one reef point on my quantum brand mainsail and seriously wanting at least one more. Not sure wether to send it back to them or let someone local do it.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:51   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrranch View Post
I was just looking at a storm jib that goes around the rolled up roller jib and attaches back to itself. Then you use an extra halyard to pull it up. It looks great and I'll probably be buying one. I'm sorry I forgot the name brand. I only have one reef point on my quantum brand mainsail and seriously wanting at least one more. Not sure wether to send it back to them or let someone local do it.
Old thread. The OP has either made it to Perth by now, or not. N'any case: ATN "Gale Sail"
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:53   #9

Boat: departure 35

Thanks. Now I can look them up to buy one. I like these old threads. Lots of good info on here.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 05:47   #10

Good to see this old post going! Made it back to Perth in 15 days from Sydney. We ended up staying with 2 reefs in the main but had it beefed up in the reefing points. Got a storm trisail and headsail as back ups, but both will probably never be used. Bigpuff is right just furling and reefing right down and a bit of motor does wonders. We hit 60kts on the nose 2 days and about 200nms out of Esperance and sat on a para-anchor for 6hrs while the front went past. The para-anchor is the best heavy weather insurance we ever got! So made it home safe and sound the Bene 411 is fantastic and am now planning around Australia in a year or so.
Old 23-12-2011, 06:06   #11

Here's a quick vid of the bight crossing on youtube if u r interested.

Old 23-12-2011, 07:36   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcam View Post
Here's a quick vid of the bight crossing on youtube if u r interested.

Great snippet. Somewhat puts paid to the idea the 411's no good at sea, eh? Your shot of your tether laid over the washboards illustrates our approach to tethers as commented on in another earlier thread (hook-up before leaving the companion-way).

Hopefully you will take some videos of your round Australia adventure. (Keeping a sharp eye for Salties, eh?)

Cheers...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau