Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2015, 19:11   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Treating cockpit teak

New here. First post. Returning to sailing after 14 year break and buying a used boat with teak cockpit that hasn't had any work for a few years. I hear that there are new and wonderful products for teak. What do you folks like and why?
How often would it have to be maintained in Mexico without a cover? How hard is it to maintain? Thank you!
coolboat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 19:21   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Treating cockpit teak

Everyone has a different opinion. This topic has probably been rehashed on here a dozen time--check it out! I usually give it a strong hosing off and a light scrub with some light soap. Then perhaps if it is really bad, brush on oxalic acid and water. Let it dry. Give it a light sand. Wipe off the dust. Put on oil, urethane or Cetol. Read instructions, look at different product. Everyone has a different opinion...are you sure you want to hear them all?
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 05:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, coolboat.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 04:15   #4

Oil, varnish or leave it natural. Cetol belongs in the same dumpster as the silicone and 5200!
Cetol is horrible orange stuff that always seems to stay soft and rubbery!
Its only "quality" is you can keep slapping coats on year after year without much effort.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 05:32   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450

I've had really good experience with the 3 stage products (cleaner/brightener/oil). Some say just throwing salt water over it is enough but that doesn't work in really hot places like Oz where the wood just gets too dry. Never uses a stiff brush and brush across the grain with a soft brush.
Gradient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 05:59   #6

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradient View Post
I've had really good experience with the 3 stage products (cleaner/brightener/oil). Some say just throwing salt water over it is enough but that doesn't work in really hot places like Oz where the wood just gets too dry. Never uses a stiff brush and brush across the grain with a soft brush.
Yes this issue has been discussed several times and we have learned a lot from many of the oldtimers here on the CF. We have full teak decks and teak brightwork throughout the topsides, cap rails, eyebrows, handrails and of course throughout the cockpit. For anything that you walk on, leave it bare and yes toss salt water on it every day. For anything else we use a two part product called epiphane varnish and it is fantastic stuff. Labour intensive to prepare the teak and apply but well worth the end result when you are done. Something that you can take a lot of pride in when you are done.

And we are also in OZ and spent the last five years in SE Asia where it is even hotter than the coastal areas of Australia. Light sand throughout once a year and apply another coat to keep the brightwork brilliant. Teak you have to either love it or hate it.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 06:20   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Paint it over and be done with it for at least the next 5 years.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 06:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Paint it over and be done with it for at least the next 5 years.
A true teak hater for sure but this will work!!!
Old 17-08-2015, 09:32   #9

Boat: csy 37

Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil. Search my previous posts on the forum.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 17:33   #10

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I transported a boat for a friend of mine last year that has the cockpit teak done in cetol, it was ugly as hell and slippery when wet whether in bare feet or boat shoes. Told him to strip that crap off, clean the teak and oil it, a much better look and function. Yes you have to oil it more often but oil is easy, take a foam brush or rag and do a refresher coat from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 10:31   #11

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
I transported a boat for a friend of mine last year that has the cockpit teak done in cetol, it was ugly as hell and slippery when wet whether in bare feet or boat shoes. Told him to strip that crap off, clean the teak and oil it, a much better look and function. Yes you have to oil it more often but oil is easy, take a foam brush or rag and do a refresher coat from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I've been using oil on mine, but it only seems to last about 3 weeks before it starts turning black. Is there not something you can seal it with?
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 11:02   #12

For a cockpit grate I would just sand the top if you want to return it to smoother surface and leave it bare. Nothing lasts long anyway especially under foot. bare teak is good non skid for a grate anyway. Acids etc will make it rougher by eating the soft part of the wood..... which is probably how it is now.
If it looks good but too grey for you just washing it with a mild detergent and scotchbrite pad (don't brush it) can make it look better....... amazing how much dirt comes off it....
Oil will degrade and grow things making it black. Once cleaned, a good dousing of salt water will keep it nice and usually not let it get black.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 10:26   #13

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I used a product called snappy teak to get my teak back to new lolking. It is a two part product and it was easy to apply and did a great job! Just Google it. They also have an online video
Got it through amazon or west Marine. It is just for restoring the teak. What you cover it with or using oil is separate from the restoration process.

Ben

Sent from my XT1254 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 04:15   #14

Now how about the teak timbers on the rat lines. Sitting here in Darwin waiting for the window to depart to the Queensland coast I have been doing all king of crazy things like polishing stainless and even pulling those timbers down to give them a good cleaning. Ended up throwing them in the ocean for a couple of days and then cleaning them with a 3m or scotch brite soft pad. Look wonderful and it was amazing how easy most of the growth and dirt lifted off without any detergent at all but it was a lot of work taking them down and reinstalling them. Now I am wondering how to maintain the wood looking good as it is impossible to douse them with saltwater everyday. Even I'm not crazy enough to climb the rat lines everyday with a bucket of water. By the way, threw the swimming ladder in the ocean as well and they look amazing too. If the dirt doesn't lift off easy throw it back in the ocean for another day and wipe it down again.

The steps on the swimming ladder and the rat lines can't be slippery so is there anything that you can do other than repeat the above process every couple years?
Old 25-08-2015, 08:42   #15

I often just used a bucket with a lanyard to wash down the teak with salt water.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, teak