Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2020, 09:07   #1

Boat: Stevens 50
Transport of 50’ monohull from SE Asia to W. Coast of US

I am in the early days of searching for boat, likely a monohull (probably aluminum) about 50’. In order to help inform my decision at the preliminary stage I would like to pose a few questions to the group:
1) Approximately how much would it cost to transport/ship a 50’ monohull from SE Asia/Australia to S California coast?
2) Assuming the boat is ‘sea ready’ approximately how much would it cost to engage a qualified skipper to sail it across?
3) If the boat is ‘sea ready’ how much would it cost to ‘de-rig, then re-rig’ upon arrival?
4) What is the group’s experience with buying a boat 3000+ miles from home? How stupid is it to consider this as opposed to focusing closer to home?
5) What is the day rate of a good skipper and how does it vary regionally?
6) What qualifications does a good transport skipper need as table stakes?

Thanks in advance.
John Saylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:30   #2

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Transport of 50’ monohull from SE Asia to W. Coast of US

1€/Nm approximatly
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:48   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

#7 how many boats are there for sale closer than 3000 miles?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:29   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Amen, S/V Illusion. Unless you inherited the boat or are buying something incredibly rare and can't have another, go where you're going and then look. Transport is not the only problem. You are bringing a foreign boat into the US. The forum frequently has threads on the problems you buy in the process.
Old 11-07-2020, 18:08   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, John Saylor,

Welcome aboard CF.

Making sure the title to the vessel is one problem. Also, there are quarantine restrictions now, adding to costs for deliveries. Usually shipping is cheaper, but sometimes the boats arrive damaged, sometimes they are damaged in unloading; sometimes there are difficulties getting certifiable shipping cradles made. The point is shipping isn't as simple, easy, and straightforward as one tends to assume.

Here's a link to a recent thread where the problem was shipping a boat to Newfoundland from New Zealand, wherein one of the routes suggested was by ship from NZ to Vancouver, then to railroad, then to NL. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...it-234378.html

I'm with Illusion on this issue, buy close to home and use the boat locally till the cruising picture becomes clearer for the future.

Ann
Old 12-07-2020, 08:32   #6

John Saylor - I'm with you. The selection of boats in the US is not very good unless you are looking for a fiberglass 40-50 production boat from the biggest three or four manufacturers. I have no interest in any of those boats myself - to each his own, I'm just not attracted to them. I have the same questions regarding getting a boat in a far off land. Europe, Australia, French Polynesia, SE Asia have a broader variety of world cruisers than the US it seems. Unfortunately, this is the road less traveled, so you will get less positive input on these types of things. A couple years ago I was researching bringing and old Chevy Blazer down to Panama or buying an old diesel Land Cruiser in Panama and driving it back to the US. I put the question into searches on the net, forums involving expats etc....all I got in return was "Why don't you just buy one in Panama?" "It costs too much to do that." "They have the same cars there." There was a misunderstanding of what I wanted to do. I was not (still not) a retired old rich guy wanting a Lexus SUV to drive around a gated community full of American and European retired folk - I wanted the adventure of driving across Central America in an old vehicle, see the sights, the real deal.

What I guess I'm saying is: Don't be easily dismayed by negative nay sayers on any forum or internet search. If you are looking for a special boat that meets your needs, you'll have to search far and wide, and probably jump through hoops, and take some risks. It'll cost some money, and take some effort. Good luck, and let us know if you pull it off.

I did make my drive across Central America. I had to be really creative, took some risks, paid some people for some covert paperwork shuffling etc etc etc.....black ops. It was the most exciting and fun thing that I've done that I can remember. I will have those memories and stories forever.

Is there somebody on this forum who would like to share there personal experience buying a boat in a wacky place and made it happen, that can articulate the process?
larsfforsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:26   #7
PHR

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49

I looked into this sort of thing in 2017......

1) Approximately how much would it cost to transport/ship a 50’ monohull from SE Asia/Australia to S California coast?

>> $50,000

2) Assuming the boat is ‘sea ready’ approximately how much would it cost to engage a qualified skipper to sail it across?

>> At least $25,000, but because the boat would be sailed, and things will definitely happen on such a long voyage, expect it to be higher...depending on the boat's condition, the crew's care, what you'd have to put into it to get it ready, etc. It is not just the cost of the 3-4 crew needed, but all the other voyaging costs too.

3) If the boat is ‘sea ready’ how much would it cost to ‘de-rig, then re-rig’ upon arrival?

>> The shipping company I contacted gave me a package price, and talked me through the process. Here's just one of the companies out there....
https://www.sevenstar-yacht-transpor...ng-yacht-owner

4) What is the group’s experience with buying a boat 3000+ miles from home? How stupid is it to consider this as opposed to focusing closer to home?

>> I considered it, so I hope it would not be "stupid," but I found it was not the best monetary decision. If I were not going to bring the boat back into US waters within the next year, then I would definitely consider buying offshore, and keeping it out of the country for a year for tax reasons. But there are so many good boats available up and down both coasts in the US that buying here made much more financial sense to me.

>> I paid $250 a day when I first bought my boat for the short delivery from San Fran to San Diego. Then $350 for a full day of sailing with a captain and just mucking around with the boat (I already have many certs, but a Hunter 49 is a larger ship than I was used to at the time).

>> Someone you like and trust, who has relevant experience. I'm not so sold personally on requiring some USCG or other certifications, but I would never pay someone to deliver my boat without clear evidence of having done something similar before. I like Eric at www.pacificyachtdelivery.com, because I met him whilst he and his crewmate delivered a large Beneteau from France to Newport, CA. He's done others, and here's some info on his prices -- https://pacificyachtdelivery.com/ind...elivery-rates/

I looked worldwide, but ultimately bought local on the west coast.

Good luck
~ Peyton
PHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:34   #8

Solid information Peyton. Thanks.

I imagine that thought process changes if the idea is to buy a boat in some far flung place, and begin your trip from there - flag of convenience, corporate ownership, stuff like that, right?

I can't see why you couldn't do your "learning" in Thailand or Australia, rather than Maryland or California. It might be a lot more fun, if you could pull it off.

Lars
larsfforsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:42   #9

In 2017-2018 I sailed my 10.7m boat from Vancouver to Japan and back via the Bering Sea & Alaska. The basic cost of running the boat including crew provisioning for 3 of us was ~U$4000/month. So if your return trip were to take 3 months, my guess is that if you were to undertake it yourself, the cost would be a minimum of U$15k, but budget for U$25k. FWIW: I wouldn't hesitate to consider a distant boat, in fact I might prefer it, but not without solid surveys for the boat, especially including steering gear, rig, engine, and fuel tanks. If lots of spares are listed that could be an indicator of past care taken. Good luck with your quest.
Shoalbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:47   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Saylor View Post
I am in the early days of searching for boat, likely a monohull (probably aluminum) about 50’. In order to help inform my decision at the preliminary stage I would like to pose a few questions to the group:

Thanks in advance.
Given that your skipper would be sailing upwind the whole way this could cost well over $50,000 (money you could use to upgrade your choices locally) Parking a fifty foot boat in Southern California is another serious financial consideration. If you have your heart set on an aluminum boat, then look in Europe as it's a far easier transit back than crossing eastward across the Pacific.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:58   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman View Post
1€/Nm approximatly
At 6kts avg VMG that is 144 nm per day or $160 USD/day. This does not include provisions, or boat costs. So this would cover captain, crew, provisions, and boat costs?

I believe your estimate is below the US market.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 15:08   #12

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I have done that route, i.e., Singapore to Long Beach, great circle coarse,10,000 mile's, took 60 day's, on a Motor sailer,route, over the top of the Phillipines, top of the Mariana island's, furtherst North, about the latitude of Seattle, and down to L.B., great trip, cought a ton of Tuna and flying fish, which we would have for Breakfast, my fee $ 1.50 per mile, plus food and crew, [3]. P.S., i'm 82, have 20,000 sea mile's, do not have a capt. lic. [ 6 pack or 100 ton, what a joke].
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 16:01   #13

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
I have done that route, i.e., Singapore to Long Beach, great circle coarse,10,000 mile's, took 60 day's, on a Motor sailer,route, over the top of the Phillipines, top of the Mariana island's, furtherst North, about the latitude of Seattle, and down to L.B., great trip, cought a ton of Tuna and flying fish, which we would have for Breakfast, my fee $ 1.50 per mile, plus food and crew, [3]. P.S., i'm 82, have 20,000 sea mile's, do not have a capt. lic. [ 6 pack or 100 ton, what a joke].
60 days is pretty quick - I've heard of people taking almost that long to get from Honolulu back to Long Beach under sail. I suspect you were doing some serious motoring.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 01:27   #14

Hi John, bought my 48ft Crowther Cat in OZ in 2004. Sailed it back to Morro Bay in 2005. It was not a delivery so took my time to see the sights, so it took me about 10 months; spent 3 months in the Bay of Islands,NZ then another 2 months cruising Tahiti. Had 3 unpaid crew (young backpackers) with the last one departing in Maui (after another month of surfing in the Line Islands). I never had a headwind from NZ to Tahiti and only had a few days of them from Fanning Island to Hawaii. Left Hanalei Bay after Halloween & arrived Morro Bay by Thanksgiving. Never went further North than Monterey since I caught a “Pineapple Express”. It can be done safely, easily & cheaply, believe me.

I bought my cat in Oz cause they were too expensive everywhere else plus the exchange rate was good. I am now anchored in the Philippines & there are great deals on boats here as many cruisers find a beautiful Filipina and forego the boat for a house. Many boats waiting for a new owner! Labor is 7-10 USD/day!

Don’t worry about the nay sayers; that’s why they’re sitting in a house somewhere in the USA. Like Mark Twain said: “you’ll never regret what you did, only what you DIDN’T do.”
Evan on JAVA
CATJAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 09:28   #15

Boat: Stevens 50

Thanks to all of you for input and your experiences. Pretty wide range and a lot to contemplate.

On balance they point to the "time - money" continuum question which weighs into a lot of cruising and equipping decisions and for which I do not at the moment have a good answer.

Given that Europe is the source for most aluminum boats (except for Kanter) that may be fertile ground, esp given the easier transport/passage across. A comparable boat in US appears to be materially cheaper than Europe.

Again I appreciate the thoughts and your experiences.
John Saylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia, hull, monohull