Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 23:39   #1

Transpac 49

Hi people. I'm doing a bit of dreaming about bigger boats and landed on a 1980 Transpac 49 parked up in Seattle on Yachtworld. Anyone know of these vessels. Look like an affordable 50' liveaboard...Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201110-203808_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	226682
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:05   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Transpac 49

With a CF name starting with "NZ"... could it be you are from NZ?
That being the case, there is one for sale close to you: https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...spac-49/243488
There are big volume boats, very heavily built. I like the interior and layout, but actual storage space is limited if you use all the berths, and the teak decks...... I liked and feared at the same time.
I looked at buying one but my price was not the price the seller agreed with, so I moved on.
The guy who bought that boat I got to know quite well.

If the price is right, and you do not expect sparkling sailing performance, and the engine and sails are in good order, go for it! Check the chainplates though. Did I say to check the teak deck?
Old 10-11-2020, 10:00   #3

Thanks Hank
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
With a CF name starting with "NZ"... could it be you are from NZ?
That being the case, there is one for sale close to you: https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...spac-49/243488
There are big volume boats, very heavily built. I like the interior and layout, but actual storage space is limited if you use all the berths, and the teak decks...... I liked and feared at the same time.
I looked at buying one but my price was not the price the seller agreed with, so I moved on.
The guy who bought that boat I got to know quite well.

If the price is right, and you do not expect sparkling sailing performance, and the engine and sails are in good order, go for it! Check the chainplates though. Did I say to check the teak deck?
I've seen the nz listing and you're correct on all points. The nz one doesn't have teak decks and that is the point that concerned me the most with the others. Seattle is positioned nicely for a pacific delivery trip f a lifetime back to nz though. ( pending borders reopening)
Managing a ketch rig set-up would be something new. Our current cavalier 39 is sloop. The Seattle boat has in mast furling main and mitten while nz is slab reefing...
To be fair I love the Cav 39 but boy that extra space would be nice and we're toying with the idea of going live aboard...
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 16:07   #4

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Managing ketch rig? Easier than a sloop, (just my opinion) but a few more wires and ropes to deal with (yes I know I could say: "shrouds, stays, sheets and lines"). And common knowledge seem to be that ketches are not sailing as well, particularly upwind. But hey, if that is not one's top priority, then a ketch might suit.

In mast furling makes things also easier, but again, maybe not sailing performance. Many a thread have been posted on this topic.

I have a ketch (with in mast furling) and can keep up with most others, particularly when the wind pipes up. I would imagine the Transpac 49 to be the same: when others reefing heavily and/or looking for comfort of a marina, you just keep going.
Old 10-11-2020, 17:00   #5

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzmal View Post
Thanks HankI've seen the nz listing and you're correct on all points. The nz one doesn't have teak decks and that is the point that concerned me the most with the others. Seattle is positioned nicely for a pacific delivery trip f a lifetime back to nz though. ( pending borders reopening)
Managing a ketch rig set-up would be something new. Our current cavalier 39 is sloop. The Seattle boat has in mast furling main and mitten while nz is slab reefing...
To be fair I love the Cav 39 but boy that extra space would be nice and we're toying with the idea of going live aboard...
Live aboard space? Terrific. Sailing performance? Nada (not even compared to your Cavalier. Depends on what you are in it for).
Old 10-11-2020, 18:44   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you buy the Transpac, you will find it sluggish.

You will also find that you will be converting at least two berths for stowage, for which you will either be building shelves and retainer bars, or some form of knockdown netting.

Jim and I lived aboard an old 36 ft. IOR one tonner, for 18 yrs. Your Cavalier is big enough. It will sail better, too. And, it's nicer looking. Travel's not on, right now, anyway.

Ann
Old 10-11-2020, 19:30   #7

Boat: Transpac 49, hull #3 | Columbia 8.7

The NZ listing (Havili) is my vessel and I can recommend a Transpac 49 if you're willing to put in the maintenance effort that comes with. Fortunately if you plan to do that yourself it can be affordable. I've all but taken Havili off the market and hope to get back to NZ soon. I would agree that Transpacs are quite sluggish downwind below 20 knots TWS, but get up to hull speed with great stability in higher winds (sailed from French Polynesia to Tonga in 25 knots/3m+ seas comfortably - two handed at the time). On the leg from Minerva to New Zealand, I was pleasantly surprised how we kept up with the pack of cruising boats and even passed many while sailing into a high at 50-55 degree AWA, 17-22 knots AWS. Being slightly larger than many cruising boats paid off sailing to windward in those conditions. They can be very difficult to dock in tight spaces (no bow thruster on mine), but there is great visibility from the cockpit and they track very well under sail. We went over 2000nm on a broad/beam reach from Clipperton to Fatu Hiva with a sheet-to-wheel self steering system after the autopilot broke (read John Letcher's book).

By using the shower stall and one of the Pullman berths for storage, it was no problem to sail with a crew of 5, sometimes as many as 8. I also found space in the engine room to store a propane smoker (when not in use on deck) that allowed us to make some very tasty smoked fish!

I love the open deck plan with few protrusions and plenty of space to stretch the legs.

I could go on and on, but ultimately it comes down to how you feel - if you love the boat, want something that size, and can afford, I don't think you'll be disappointed!
samwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 19:53   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

We had an offer on the TP49 in Seattle early this year but backed out when we found the decks pretty soft in some areas and figured a lot of the deck likely needed to be re-cored. Outboard 12" or so of the bulkheads in the salon were punky where the aft lowers attached and would definitely need to be repaired before sailing anywhere. Construction quality seemed to be pretty good and the boat was otherwise in decent shape but hadn't been sailed for quite awhile. We loved the interior and exterior layout, nice big comfortable cockpit. Engine looked OK but did smoke a bit. Fuel tank is steel and water tank(s) stainless but had some weird warping and epoxy putty patches on the top, I think the baffle welds may have been leaking. We ended up buying a Gulfstar 50 ketch (tri-cabin) instead for a lot less money (I consider we got a fantastic deal. It also needs work, but has been more usable while working on it than the TP would have been). The GS feels like a significantly smaller boat with less storage space.
Bellinghamster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 19:59   #9

Boat: Belize 43

We owned a Transpac Mk11 for 9 years. That included a 5 year circumnavigation as a family of 5. From our experience I don't think we could have had a better vessel for the job. If the price is right and you are looking for a really comfortable (at anchor and at sea), well built boat, then it is a good choice. Depends how much space you want really. The ketch rig is wonderful when sailing short handed.

I don't agree that they are sluggish either. It won't win any races around the buoys, but we regularly out sailed many boats on passage and often arrived far more rested than lighter, wetter boats. With a family aboard we used a conservative sail plan too.

Storage too was never a problem. Three kids, toys, schooling, home for 5 years, provisions and spares for months at sea. We used all the cabins for sleeping and still had loads of space. The walk in engine room is a huge blessing when you want to maintain things too.

I would reinforce the maintenance bit however. The basic boat is well built, but there are a lot of systems and a lot of boat to look after, so how it has been treated in the past will count. Everything is very accessible, but there is a lot. Especially check the teak deck - ours was good, but I looked after it regularly and whilst it felt great underfoot, I would have been happy not to have had it.

If you're interested there is more detail here https://www.vagabondheart.com/boat.shtml#overview

Good luck with your cruising choice. At the end of the day it is most important to be out there and there are many boats that can do that for you.
pelicans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 13:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwhit View Post
The NZ listing (Havili) is my vessel and I can recommend a Transpac 49 if you're willing to put in the maintenance effort that comes with. Fortunately if you plan to do that yourself it can be affordable. I've all but taken Havili off the market and hope to get back to NZ soon. I would agree that Transpacs are quite sluggish downwind below 20 knots TWS, but get up to hull speed with great stability in higher winds (sailed from French Polynesia to Tonga in 25 knots/3m+ seas comfortably - two handed at the time). On the leg from Minerva to New Zealand, I was pleasantly surprised how we kept up with the pack of cruising boats and even passed many while sailing into a high at 50-55 degree AWA, 17-22 knots AWS. Being slightly larger than many cruising boats paid off sailing to windward in those conditions. They can be very difficult to dock in tight spaces (no bow thruster on mine), but there is great visibility from the cockpit and they track very well under sail. We went over 2000nm on a broad/beam reach from Clipperton to Fatu Hiva with a sheet-to-wheel self steering system after the autopilot broke (read John Letcher's book).

By using the shower stall and one of the Pullman berths for storage, it was no problem to sail with a crew of 5, sometimes as many as 8. I also found space in the engine room to store a propane smoker (when not in use on deck) that allowed us to make some very tasty smoked fish!

I love the open deck plan with few protrusions and plenty of space to stretch the legs.

I could go on and on, but ultimately it comes down to how you feel - if you love the boat, want something that size, and can afford, I don't think you'll be disappointed!
Hey,
I'm interested in your Transpac. I'm a bit confused about your post saying the boat is off the market. I just visited her couple of days ago with the broker.
Let me know if you still want to sell.
Cheers,
Dariusz
nzDariusz is offline   Reply With Quote