Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2009, 09:09   #16
cruiser

Perchance:
The short answer would be yes because transom shape is just a reflection of the sectional shape aft of the boat. The transom shape is not independant of the distribution of volume aft.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 09:13   #17

Boat: grampian 26
transom shape

keeping in mind your answer to my question. What is the ideal transom shape to minimize boarding seas?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 06:21   #18
cruiser

Perchance:
I'm not sure you are getting the "big picture" or I am not being sufficiently clear.

Try this: Stop thinking of transom shape as an independant shape entity on the hull. The transom shape is a pure reflection of the boat's sectional shape aft.
Changing the transom shape changes the hull shape. You can vary the rake angle from positive to negative. You can vary the radius of the transom. But the hull shape will remain the same.

You design a hull carrying the stern well beyond the aft end of LOA.
You cut a transom thru that extended shape using whatever angle and radius suits your eye. The exact location of the cut may depend upon a number of factors, i.e. rating rules, LOA target and actual sectional shape.

The famous British designer Douglas Phillips-Birt once said, "If you are being overtaken by a breaking wave four feet higher than you transom, then you are going to get wet regardless of the shape of your stern." Or something quite like that.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote