Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 10:33   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Transmission to Prop shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Castellated nut and a cotter pin is the standard for aircraft on parts that are subject to rotation, but I think most boats out there have regular nuts and spit lock washers.
I won't use self locking nuts on SS fasteners though, SS galls so bad that without anti-seize they often seize, and if your anti-seizing self locking fasteners, it seems to defeat the point?
I thought wiring was the standard for aircraft? I wouldn't us SS for anything rotational as prop. coupling. It has no shear strength. A good old grade eight, split washer and never seize on the threads. If someone is paranoid a keeper nut and split washer. Ever seen a semi lug, tractor or dozer lug out of SS, Me never.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:33   #17

Boat: Clark, San Juan 30

Thank you all for the kindness and help I will replace the shaft flange and I will use lock washers and a good grade of lock tite to keep them together also May drill a hole and cotter pin them on as well I am limited on funds cost just to put engine in where I have none now is not cheap but the rewards will be I look forward to cruising when Sails are not up with a Prop in the water at all times I currently have an 9.9 Yamaha on back now that can be my spare to get me home if the main engine quits for some reason or another the trans is 2:1 and the prop on Matches that so I'm happy there they are not cheap either. but Sailing is such an awesome thing to do and where I live the Cruises are endless many would just love to have the San Juan's in their front yard as I do orcas and Sucia are only 7 and 9 miles away and then I have north and all the many inlets to explore again Thank You You all have been such great help I can always count on this Forum for all my Sailing answers Great People who love the same as I Sailing into the wind and having the experinces of a lifetime and being Retired I have all the time in the world. again Thank You all Jack S/v UsCa 30' San Juan look me up sometime if your in the area I do have an MMSI # and DSC on board you can look me up and see where I am this Spring

Jack
Chevy1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:36   #18

Boat: Valiant 42

Flange bolts should have "mousing" holes in the end for a wire that ensures the bolts cannot turn on their own. I'll try to upload a picture of how mine is done.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Flange bolts should have "mousing" holes in the end for a wire that ensures the bolts cannot turn on their own. I'll try to upload a picture of how mine is done.
I've done it. seems to me every nut flat had a hole. It is probably old school today. As I recall it was nickel chromium wire?
Old 11-03-2016, 11:02   #20

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1217 View Post
Thank you all for the kindness and help I will replace the shaft flange and I will use lock washers and a good grade of lock tite to keep them together also May drill a hole and cotter pin them on as well I am limited on funds cost just to put engine in where I have none now is not cheap but the rewards will be I look forward to cruising when Sails are not up with a Prop in the water at all times I currently have an 9.9 Yamaha on back now that can be my spare to get me home if the main engine quits for some reason or another the trans is 2:1 and the prop on Matches that so I'm happy there they are not cheap either. but Sailing is such an awesome thing to do and where I live the Cruises are endless many would just love to have the San Juan's in their front yard as I do orcas and Sucia are only 7 and 9 miles away and then I have north and all the many inlets to explore again Thank You You all have been such great help I can always count on this Forum for all my Sailing answers Great People who love the same as I Sailing into the wind and having the experinces of a lifetime and being Retired I have all the time in the world. again Thank You all Jack S/v UsCa 30' San Juan look me up sometime if your in the area I do have an MMSI # and DSC on board you can look me up and see where I am this Spring

Jack
Hi Jack
Read this: A New Prop Shaft Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

You may be able to skip some of this machining but I pass along FYI

Some help on getting it apart

Re-aligning http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Alignment2.htm

Source of couplings http://www.buckalgonquin.com/

Use good grade 8 bolts & regular good lockwashers-they worked for years-,though I have no problem myself with nylocks or better-if you can find them-distorted thread locknuts. You could even apply some Loctite Blue.

Cheers/ Len
Old 11-03-2016, 11:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
That would be great if the bolts are threaded into the mating flange. It would do no good if the bolts go thru and have nuts though. I've not seen wire/mousing on any of my boats, except on bolts that go thru the coupling into/locking the shaft.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:28   #22

Sounds little like a shaft to transmission mating (alignment). Flanges mating surfaces should be less than .003 thousandths of an inch. The prop shaft should be centered in the shaft tunnel and engine aligned to the prooerly centered prop shaft. Suggestion offered in case you didn't already know that.
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That would be great if the bolts are threaded into the mating flange. It would do no good if the bolts go thru and have nuts though. I've not seen wire/mousing on any of my boats, except on bolts that go thru the coupling into/locking the shaft.
Mousing as I recall was using nuts that had very small holes on each flat for wire. Enabling finite securing of torque.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:01   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Mousing as I recall was using nuts that had very small holes on each flat for wire. Enabling finite securing of torque.
Yes, that CAN be the caseI suppose ... I was responding to:

"Originally Posted by transmitterdan
Flange bolts should have "mousing" holes in the end for a wire that ensures the bolts cannot turn on their own. I'll try to upload a picture of how mine is done."

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:07   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I thought wiring was the standard for aircraft? I wouldn't us SS for anything rotational as prop. coupling. It has no shear strength. A good old grade eight, split washer and never seize on the threads. If someone is paranoid a keeper nut and split washer. Ever seen a semi lug, tractor or dozer lug out of SS, Me never.

You safety wire bolt heads, nuts usually you use castellated ones and cotter keys, but whichever you use works, just trying to remember if I have ever safety wired small nuts and I don't think I have, bolt heads yes all the time.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:27   #26

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

+1 on the Compass Marine How To

You really should take the prop shaft and new coupling to a machine shop and have them fitted and trued. The set screws on the coupling should be safety wired with monel wire.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 13:27   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You safety wire bolt heads, nuts usually you use castellated ones and cotter keys, but whichever you use works, just trying to remember if I have ever safety wired small nuts and I don't think I have, bolt heads yes all the time.
We are probably speaking old school. You maybe right on the castellated nut and holes in the bolt heads. I'm sure today there are better ways? Or not?
Someone said monel wire and I said NiCad. It may be the same thing?

I hope the OP gets it done within budget.

A sympathetic machine shop may be a plus.
Old 11-03-2016, 21:42   #28

a64Pilot is absolutely correct!!! In the aircraft world any fasteners for parts that move use drilled bolts, castalated nuts (they look like little castles) and safety wire. In fact the hand books for aviation recommend no nilock type nuts in front of the firewall. The gripping action relaxes when they get hot. If you do use lock washers then paint a stripe on the nut and bolt so you can visually inspect if anything has moved. With a drilled bolt and safety wire you are sure.
Transpac 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:44   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick sargent View Post
Sounds little like a shaft to transmission mating (alignment). Flanges mating surfaces should be less than .003 thousandths of an inch. The prop shaft should be centered in the shaft tunnel and engine aligned to the prooerly centered prop shaft. Suggestion offered in case you didn't already know that.
+1
Recheck after the boat is in the water. Hard stands will sometimes affect hull flex.
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission