Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 08:58   #16

Seaward?

The Seawards are trailerable and appear to be very seaworthy. Others have have an more enlightened opinion.

I would second the Dana.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:06   #17

Boat: Bristol 38.8
You might also consider the Balboa 27, also a Lyle Hess design but with a shallow draft and centerboard.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:01   #18

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Per nautical62 -
"I'd add the Contessa 26 also known as the Taylor 26, maybe the Dana, Westerly Pageant, Westerly Centaur, Cape Dory and a number of folkboats.
I owned a Centaur which I sailed across Michigan and Superior in and did several trips of a couple months to the Bahamas in. I purchased it specifically so I could have a boat, I could sail locally, but then tow down to Florida and use for Bahamas trips. I really liked that it was of the few 26-foot boats with standing head room. A few have circumnavigated.
My Centaur with a trailer weighed in at about 10,000 lbs, so even with a 3/4 ton truck, towing it was no leisurely Sunday drive. Towing a boat like this is nothing like towing a light weight 17-foot sailboat or 6-canoe trailer."

I've towed my Westerly Pageant from SF Bay to Pueget Sound & back and have also sailed her from Texas to Maine. So there you have a 5,000lb trailerable boat, draws 2'10in, sits flat on a trailer or aground (as we did off the Fl Keys) and is tough AND has 5'10in standing headroom. They are a Laurent Giles design (think English Channel, the Hiscock's boats as well as John Guzzwell's Trecka, 20ft solo circumnavigation). Lots of boat for the money - if you can find one.
John
Old 07-05-2009, 10:20   #19

Pacific Seacraft 25, Flicka 20, Norsea 27, Dana 24. The Contessa is fairly deep draft for the size, tall on a trailer and not the best keys/bahamas boat.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:32   #20

Boat: Tartan 37 Adios III
I met a guy this summer with a Tartan 34 (centreboard) that he trailered. It w looked like a great setup to me. He had a ford F450 to tow it and lived in Oregon.

I have always said that I would never own a boat that I didn't live on if I couldn't take it home. Of course right now I am breaking my own rule.
daedaluscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:13   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
that changes everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedaluscan View Post
He had a ford F450 to tow it and lived in Oregon.
I suspect that the definition of "trailerable" expands enormously to someone who owns an F450.
Old 07-05-2009, 18:50   #22

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
....I've towed my Westerly Pageant from SF Bay to Pueget Sound & back and have also sailed her from Texas to Maine. So there you have a 5,000lb trailerable boat, draws 2'10in, sits flat on a trailer or aground (as we did off the Fl Keys) and is tough AND has 5'10in standing headroom. They are a Laurent Giles design (think English Channel, the Hiscock's boats as well as John Guzzwell's Trecka, 20ft solo circumnavigation). Lots of boat for the money - if you can find one.
John
If I ever purchase another trailerable boat, I hope it will be a Pageant. In fact, I almost went that route instead of my current 30-footer. I almost prefer to keep what great boats those are a secret.

Glad to hear you have been having many fine adventures in yours.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 04:04   #23

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
I had a 22' Falmouth Cutter designed by Lyle Hess for 16 years. It was trailerable. In fact brought it back from the Sea of Cortez by trailer to San Diego after a 6 month cruise. When I sold it the owner bought a trailer for her.

I had 6'1" headroom. A large almost queen size berth forward and 2 quarter berths aft. All berths were 6'7" long. Carried 50 gal water. She was fast, best speed 7 knots. Averaged 100 miles a day over the 16 years I had her. Lived on her for years. Weight at 7500lbs dry with an 8' beam. Lyle designed her so she could be put on a trailer, hence the 8' beam. Want to read about a similar boat get "Cruising in Serafin" by Lin and Larry Pardey. My Falmouth "Angelsea" even kept me safe and sound seeing the eye of a cat 4 hurricane!

You can see pics of her here
http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/gallery/album57

They are now built by Cape George Cutters http://www.capegeorgecutters.com/FC22/

and here is a cool video

They are pricey, particularly new. But if you buy used they hold there price better than any boat I have ever seen. Mainly because they are so well built.

Enjoy!
Old 26-05-2009, 06:42   #24

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I think there is a difference between trailer-sailors and trailerable cruising boats.

Trailer-sailors are generally designed to be light, easy and quick to launch, but usually are not as robust. It's easy to take them out for day or weekend, but generally they are designed for lake and easy coastal cruising. I think examples may include the water ballast boats such as the MacGregor, Hunter and Catalina and Corsair trimarans (not water ballast). Most of these have swing keels and other features making them quick to launch at most ramps.
Not sure it is fair to compare a Corsair to the other three. Especially when mentioning "not as robust".

Different boats for sure, and I would say that the Corsair 27 which is probably in this range is a much more seaworthy, capable, and well built boat than the others, and at the right price might be a good solution for the original poster.

Just my opinion.
Regards,
Charles
Old 26-07-2009, 19:00   #25

Here are four boats worth a look. All are ramp launchalbe and retreavable. Any of these can do the job. Each of these are very affordable.

1. Parker Dawson 26 ( Midship 25)
2. Kent Ranger 26 ( not to be confused with the California built Ranger 26)
3. Grampian 26
4. Balboa 26
BeeRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:17   #26

Boat: C&C Mega 30
C&C mega

I was looking for something similar, but wanted to cruise around Puget Sound instead of making the crossings your referring too.

After several months of trying to find just the right price on a macgregor, and doubting that I would be happy with one of them, I noticed someone selling a C&C Mega 30 on craiglist and bought it.

It's about 4500 - 5000 pounds with a 2500 pound cast iron keel (centerboard) that raises and lowers via an electric motor turning a screw (threaded into the keel). The keel / centerboard has a bulb on the end and the boat has about 2 foot draft with this up all the way.

The boat is more of a lightweight racer / sportboat than a distance cruiser, and it's generally accepted amongst the owners that I've heard discussing that it's too lightly rigged to make any blue water crossings. But it also appears to me as a much sturdier boat than a macgregor and it is trailer LAUNCHABLE off a boat ramp.

They stopped making them 30 years ago, but if you're looking hard enough you can find a few on the market.
wannago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:09   #27

wow... haven't heard of a MEga 30 in years. I used to get beat racing one regularly when the first came out! I've wondered if they were big enough inside to cruise: fast cruiser, shoal draft, light to tow... not sure how strong they are...
Old 10-08-2009, 09:49   #28

Boat: I have been from 8' sabot to a 65' Ketch. I am over the Norsea 27 and looking for 50'+
If you are on the cheap a Catalina 25 or 27 with a centerboard. If you want to spend a Nor'sea 27 will take you around the world and can be trailered
Tropicyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:53   #29

the Seaward 32RK is an amazing trailerable boat. Vertical keel retraction, Separate shower stall, two double berths, 29 HP diesel, windlass, wheel steering and multitude of std items. Just a cool little boat for sure... Hake Yachts 32RK?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:07   #30
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't know if the reality matches the design concept, Cheech, but that's really an interesting vessel. If you follow the link you provided, and then click on the link to the "independent write up" (bottom of page), it will take you to a review that appeared in Lats & Atts. There you'll see the figure 83,000 lbs. for displacement.

Funny, I wouldn't have thought it was quite that heavy. I wonder what the trailer and tow vehicle look like?

TaoJones

Tags
seaworthy