Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 09:41   #16

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A
Re: Trailer Sailor & Pocket Cruiser Boats, Tips, Advice, Examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
O'Day Mariner 2+2
S2 6.9
Are popular on my lake
Both good first boats and relativly cheap these days
Cheers
Neil
Have to agree on the Oday (OK I have one) Here are some links to help out for those interested.

Ask An Oday Owner | SailboatOwners.com Forums

O'Day Mariner #1922 ORION

Home - Mariner Class Association

Stuart marine still builds them up in Maine
Stuart Marine Corp. - Rhodes 19 | Mariner | Stuart 19 | JC 9 | Stuart 9

D and R marine still has some original Oday parts
D & R Marine
Old 01-11-2016, 10:37   #17

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

26' Westerly Centaur for Great Lakes and Bahamas.

When I started looking for my first cruiser, I knew I wanted a pocket cruiser capable of crossing the Gulf Stream, but living in the Midwest I also knew I wanted something I could trailer. The problem I had with most pocket cruisers I looked at was the small interior space: too small for much storage and too small to stand up in. The Pacific Seacraft boats were out of my price range. When I came across the Centaur, I new it was the right boat for my needs. In the end, I sailed it two summers on the Great Lakes and several more to the Bahamas from Florida:

Things I really liked and continue to like about the Centaur:

*5-8 standing headroom
*Solidly built, heavy displacement, Many have crossed the Atlantic. I sailed it in 9 foot seas (and more) several times.
*Bilge Keels - shallow draft, (great for Bahamas) just set it on the ground for dry storage, can even let sit on the ground at low tide
*Good interior space for a pocket cruiser.
* Enclosed head, not some porti-pottie under a bunk
*Great price for what you get in my opinion.

Downsides:

Shallow bilge, windows on some models prone to leaking due to side stay attachment, can have keel bolt issues, bunks a bit small, head very small. at over 6,000 lbs, it's a lot of boat to trailer. (About 10,000 pounds including trailer for me) One version has virtually no lazarette space. Rigging and launching is much more time consuming and difficult than with trailer sailors.

The Centaur was produced with a Volvo inboard diesel as standard. Many have been repowered with outboards.

The big lesson for me in owning and using this boat, it that there is a huge difference between a trailer sailor, a boat designed to be easily trailered and launched of a trailer and heavier displacement pocket cruiser that is small enough it can be trailered. Personally, I never want to trailer a boat of that size and weight ever again. My next boat was a 26 foot trimaran which was much, much easier to trailer but I ended up not liking it largely due to under deck slamming even in seas as low as 3 feet.

I think one thing to carefully consider with trailerable pocket cruisers is the costs associated with buying and maintaining a trailer, tow vehicle and costs of trailering such as gas. In the end I discovered paying for storage instead of trailering allowed me to have a much larger boat at not much more cost.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:45   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
26' Westerly Centaur for Great Lakes and Bahamas.

When I started looking for my first cruiser, I knew I wanted a pocket cruiser capable of crossing the Gulf Stream, but living in the Midwest I also knew I wanted something I could trailer. The problem I had with most pocket cruisers I looked at was the small interior space: too small for much storage and too small to stand up in. The Pacific Seacraft boats were out of my price range. When I came across the Centaur, I new it was the right boat for my needs. In the end, I sailed it two summers on the Great Lakes and several more to the Bahamas from Florida:

Things I really liked and continue to like about the Centaur:

*5-8 standing headroom
*Solidly built, heavy displacement, Many have crossed the Atlantic. I sailed it in 9 foot seas (and more) several times.
*Bilge Keels - shallow draft, (great for Bahamas) just set it on the ground for dry storage, can even let sit on the ground at low tide
*Good interior space for a pocket cruiser.
* Enclosed head, not some porti-pottie under a bunk
*Great price for what you get in my opinion.

Downsides:

Shallow bilge, windows on some models prone to leaking due to side stay attachment, can have keel bolt issues, bunks a bit small, head very small. at over 6,000 lbs, it's a lot of boat to trailer. (About 10,000 pounds including trailer for me) One version has virtually no lazarette space. Rigging and launching is much more time consuming and difficult than with trailer sailors.

The Centaur was produced with a Volvo inboard diesel as standard. Many have been repowered with outboards.

The big lesson for me in owning and using this boat, it that there is a huge difference between a trailer sailor, a boat designed to be easily trailered and launched of a trailer and heavier displacement pocket cruiser that is small enough it can be trailered. Personally, I never want to trailer a boat of that size and weight ever again. My next boat was a 26 foot trimaran which was much, much easier to trailer but I ended up not liking it largely due to under deck slamming even in seas as low as 3 feet.

I think one thing to carefully consider with trailerable pocket cruisers is the costs associated with buying and maintaining a trailer, tow vehicle and costs of trailering such as gas. In the end I discovered paying for storage instead of trailering allowed me to have a much larger boat at not much more cost.
Very good post! I found your comments interesting and helpful. Thanks for taking the time to write the details you did. You even mention two boats I considered.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:54   #19

Boat: Lots of boats.

Can't really go wrong adding the Mac 26X to this list. Water ballast makes the boat reasonable to tow behind the typical SUV. Positive floatation makes the boat a lifeboat if it springs a leak. 6 foot headroom, at least around the galley. Ok sized enclosed head. I have a 115 HP outboard on mine and it can get out of harms way pretty fast (or pull water skiers). Mast is easy to step and when trimmed, sails better than you would think. Adjust the ballast in light air and you will glide by lots of bigger boats. Pounds a bit in rough seas, but is more comfortable cruising with a little heel. Less than 1' of draft with keel up. Actually lots have been sailed to the Bahamas. Can be safely beached although I have not done this yet. Not bad for a compromise boat.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 13:37   #20

Boat: Northwind 7 trailer sailer

In Australia we have this great resource:

Brisbane Boat Sales - John Crawford Marine - Used Second Hand Boats

Alphabetical, seachable mostly pdf format.
Isabella Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 13:47   #21

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I'm looking at this very thing right now. My V27 weighs 9000 on the books--probably more like 11-12 loaded--and a quality trailer is north of $11k. Then you're looking at having to either buy or rent a 1/2 ton truck to haul it. Even the best towing packages on a 1/4 ton wont cut it. Renting a half ton for a FL to MN haul is a couple thousand in of itself when you factor in gas.

Not the most practical thing to tow around! It takes love, irrational love.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 17:18   #22

Boat: macgregor 26

I have a MacGregor 26 Dagerboard version 1988 vintage. I've trailered and sailed as far north as James Bay and a far South as the Florida Keys. I've owned the boat for 25 years and have many modifications. When the family was young we were a crew of 6. Recently I cruised the North Channel with a crew of 4 adults. The wife and I have also handled the boat on many boat ramps with leisurely lanchings and retrievals of under 2 hours. The boat also works well as a camper. If you want to have some great conversations pull into a KOA for a night or two.

The boat is not perfect, there are many who hold low opinions of it. Truth is I've done a lot of work to make improvements and maintenance. I'm a DIY guy and have found lots of ideas and help on MacGregor owner websites.

The hull has been the part requiring the least work. The vinalester (vs polyester) layup is solid with no blisters or gelcoat issues. At times the deck has had multiple leaks. Then again traveling thousands of miles at 100 km an hour is bound to have an effect. Regular maintenance takes care of the leaks.

Parts are still pretty easy to find.

If you can pick one of these up in good condition at a fair price you can't go wrong.
MAC-A-TAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 17:27   #23

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

Hey guys,

I'm not new to sailing, but I AM new to boat ownership.

Last summer I ran into a deal I could not refuse, and acquired a 1984 Merit 25.

Because it's a racing boat, with a very impressive racing history in the late 80's, it has very little headroom in the sleek-top cabin, and absolutely no frills. It does have room to sleep two in berth, and two more on either side under the cockpit sides/companionway area. Regardless, this little jewel is absolutely and completely exciting to sail. She is a screamer through the water.

I bought it, sailed it last summer until the active slum-slip rental ran out, trailered her home, and over the winter did some considerable comfort updating. This spring I put her in a slip at a much nicer marina that has about 95% sailboats in its sold-out sips.

There is a lot to discover about this little tub when you Google the Merit 25. I'll post photos her on and off trailer. I'll also look in my history to find an incredible video of a one-man mast raising/lowering device that just blew my mind! I'm going to build my own device like this guy had, because it takes FOUR capable men to raise/lower my mast.

Otherwise, I am THRILLED to find this thread, and be able to read something other than the useful conversations among the world travelers. I do find an occasional title to a post that causes me to read until I find that the conversation really has little to apply to the kind of sailing I do up and down beautiful Kentucky Lake.

So glad to be here! I'll be back!

Aarrrgh!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 18:22   #24

The O'Day 22 should be on list of trailerable, towable, packet cruisers. Sleeps up to 4, has a small galley, and portable head. Good sailing boat and excellent weekender for a couple or small family.
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 18:34   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Trailer Sailor & Pocket Cruiser Boats, Tips, Advice, Examples

In the UK there's a large selection of boats that can be trailed and sailed though there's not much point in posting them here.. the Brits know them all.. and its unlikely you'll come across any over there.
Mind.. you may see the odd Hurley22 in the Caribe..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:09   #26

Face It there are a laundry list of small trailerable sailboats that can fit this list which includes any boat no longer than 40 feet and no wider than 10. It all comes down to tow vehicle,budget and area sailing. If you are into off shore performance the Hobie 33, Olson 30 and Santa Cruz 27 are still competitively raced in the Trans Pac races but would make miserable cruisers. Flickas have to be the favorite for going small but are so slow it will take you for ever to get some place. This being said there is no best in class for this type of boat. For me if I could find one the Montgomery 23 would be a good compromise. This boat was built purposely for a couple to cruise around B.C. and the inside passage in the summers and Baja in the winters. The problem is under 50 of these boats were ever built and people who have them are not giving them up.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:44   #27

Boat: Sancerre 38

I have owned 2 different trailer sailors, a McGregor V222, and a Chrysler 26. They are very different boats, but I enjoyed both very much. (Disclaimer, I would probably enjoy sailing a bunch of logs tied into a raft.)
I learned to sail on the V222. I had literally never been on a sailboat until I launched it, and headed out single handed. What I read in the books started to make sense, and in a few minutes I was moving all over the lake with an ear to ear grin. To me the advantage of the V22 was its ease of trailering, rigging, and launching. It displaces 1800 lbs, so it can be pulled by any reasonable tow vehicle. The swing keel pulls completely into the hull, so you can launch it at any ramp a power boat can launch at. It only drafts 1 foot with the keel and rudder up. At times I pushed it along in the shallows without getting the bottom of my swim suit wet. Putting up the mast was simple. Being an able bodied middle aged man, I could begin to lift the mast in the cockpit, step onto the cabin top, and push the mast up the rest of the way by hand. No winches, or tools needed. Very nice. I miss those days!
Inside there was a forward v-berth. At 6' I did not find I could use this comfortably. It worked much better for my children. Aft of the v-berth to starboard was the head. This was walled off from the rest of the boat, and assuming no one is in the v-berth you could use it with privacy. You cannot stand up in the head, so bending over, and undressing takes some gymnastics. That was one of my least favorite parts of the boat. To port, there is a bench settee that runs from the v-berth to the rear of the boat. Some have some cabinetry with a sink along this side of the boat, but we removed all of that as we needed the seating. This port side berth extends to a rear quarter berth. On the starboard side aft of the head is a dinette. The table folds down to make a double berth. Aft of the diet on the starboard side there is an open area you can use for storage. We actually put in some plywood and made this another quarter berth. There is a pop top over the dinette area that gives you some reasonable headroom when up.
As this was the first boat I sailed, I don't have much reference to comment on how well it sails. All I can say is I had a lot of fun on it. It is not a heavily built boat at all (the hull "oil cans" with very little pressure). That said, I had it out in some real nasty weather on Lake Huron, and never felt unsafe. Well, actually I felt very unsafe (I was terrified), but not because of the boat, and indeed she never let me down.

My current boat is a Chrysler 26. We moved up to the Chrysler because our family of 6 had outgrown the McGregor. The Chrysler is a much heavier boat, and actually has more weight in ballast than the entire displacement of the McGregor. When you include the weight of a suitable trailer, you need a serious tow vehicle for this boat. I have a use a 2WD 1 ton Chevy diesel that does the job nicely. In spite of the truck's ability, this boat is a big load going down the road. It is completely doable with the right vehicle, but really should be considered in purchasing a boat.
Raising the mast is also an order of magnitude more difficult. There is no lifting this mast by hand. A gin pole with a winch, and a stabilizing "bridle" are a must. With that equipment, the mast goes up easily (no herculean strength required), but it takes time to rig everything up, and get the mast up.
The Chrysler has a swing keel that swings up into a keel stub, so you need a decent ramp to launch it. I have used several of the state ramps in Michigan on the great lakes, and have never had a problem. I launch without a tongue extension, and have to put the rear wheels of the truck into the water. I usually back up to where the exhaust starts to gurgle, and know I am about at the right depth.
As for accommodations, the v-berth is quite roomy. My wife and I sleep there in comfort, with room for a few duffle bags tucked here and there. There is quite a bit of storage under the v-berth. With the filler piece out of the v, you can close the door and have a place you can change clothes with only minor hunching over (a big improvement over the smaller McGregor). Aft of the v-berth to port is an enclosed head. Again the standing headroom is very nice. Across from the head are a few drawers for storage. In the salon are two settees that run fore and aft on the sides of the boat. The keel trunk is in the middle, upon which the folding table is built. There is a small "galley" tucked into the port side of the salon with a sink, stove, and some storage underneath. Under the cockpit there is a large open area like the McGregor 26's. It would be a little tight for an adult to squeeze in to sleep, but it is a great berth for children. My two girls sleep here, and there is still plenty of room to store all of the kids clothes, and a bunch of water toys. The boat has lots of storage, and we carried full provisions for our family of 6 on a two week trip with no problem at all.
As for sailing ability, she points a bit better than the McGregor did. It is a very solid boat, and a joy to sail.

Both boats have very helpful owner groups for specific questions.
Kenr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 13:09   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

KENR74,

Thanks for posting your detailed comparison of the two boats, your experience with them, and the photos.

You made a VERY good example post for this thread. I know it takes time to put that much uploaded and written. Thanks for taking the time to share your view.

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 13:50   #29

Just finished season 9 with a Sandpiper 565. A Canadian-built approx 19 ft micro-cruiser that can be bought used with trailer and outboard for approx $2500 to $5000.

Why do we still own one?
  • easy and fun to sail - you don't always get both together
  • easy/fun to sail in most Great Lake conditions. As much as 25 kt with care
  • 10" draft with keel up, easy to launch, anchor in the shallows, or to beach
  • easy to trailer behind any mid or larger vehicle
  • Reasonable accomodation for two adults. A 3 or 4 day weekend out is no hassle, longer is possible if you can hit a marina every few days for supplies and a hot shower.
  • great lazzarette storage
  • Active, supportive owners group. Great annual sailing get-together every August.
We are now keeping her at a full up yacht-club. We can afford a bigger boat, but it's just so easy to walk (yes walk! 10 minutes) down to our club and go out for a sail any old time.

Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 13:50   #30

Boat: Chrysler 26, swing keel

Thank you for starting this thread!!!

Kner74: Thank you for including the Chrysler 26! Could not have said it better!

After living near Marina Del Rey in Los Angles and always having much larger boats, I moved up to Oregon far from the shore I "thought" my sailing/cruising days were over until I found a beat up San Juan 21. Fixed her up and took the lady I moved up here for, through the San Juan Islands for 2 weeks. Her reaction: So that's why you like cruising! Me: Cruising? that was "camping"! (What dawned on me, was that after refitting 4 keel boats in LA with the intention of sailing off, I never had time to even get to where I wanted to spend cruising! The little San Juan 21, showed me that I could TRAILER my boat to where I wanted to be (much faster!) and then spend the time cruising/gunk-holing.

I spent a year searching for a legally trailerable sailboat closer to hull design and stability as my blue water boats in LA. It had to have 6' standing headroom, a separate, enclosed head, a galley and LOTS of room... I was shocked to discover that Chrysler made such a boat!

I fell in love with it right away and drove to Kansas to p/u my "first Chrysler". Sold it to help buy my current home and fell in love with my now wife (different woman), who turned out to have as much sailing experience as me! (Oh lucky man!)

We started searching and found our 2nd Chrysler. Fixed it up and our first 'shake down cruise" was to find out if we could really spend time on such a small boat without going nuts. We spend 30+ days (on board), and it was WONDERFUL!!! LOTS of room and feels like a much larger boat inside. (A lot of the sailors that stopped by to visit were shocked at the interior space when they stepped in.!)

She's a little tender at first and heels, but then becomes stiff. Does point high and is very maneuverable although she feels like the heavier boat she is (5,500# dry).

We 're currently refitting her with a lot of modifications (Double anchor bowsprit with a 7.5kg genuine Bruce and a new 25# Mantus, Solar panels with arch, larger galley with refrigerator and freezer, more water tankage, a dodger, Bimini and leading lines aft.

Our cruising plans include a LONG trip along the ICW, the Bahamas, Sea of Cortez and the San Juan Islands. The swing keel (although unsuitable for blue water sailing), is perfect for motoring/sailing with the keel partially up. When (not IF! LOL!), we hit the bottom, it's a simple matter of lifting the keel and backing off! =D

I'll be starting a thread here about our mods etc later.

Let me see if I can post some more photos here.

As you can tell, I (WE!), REALLY LOVE this boat and we both have experience on much lager boats.

(PS: We're planning on buying a 3/4 ton Dodge truck with 5.8 cummings diesel for towing and keeping our speeds at 55mph (We rented one to pick up our current c-26 and I had to keep looking back to see if it was still there!

Thanks again for this thread and the previous post about the C-26... I just couldn't see this thread not having some info about this great boat. There's also a website specifically dedicated to Chrysler sailboats with a lot of info on the 26.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 DSCN0155.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	134803   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	134804  

Name:	23 DSCN0295.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	134805   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	134806  

Name:	10 DSCN0187.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	134807   Click image for larger version

Name:	51 DSCN0358.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	134808  

Jarel Design is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard, cruise, cruiser, pocket cruiser, sail, trailer sailer, Trailer sailor