Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2017, 07:02   #166

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Traditional Main vs In-mast Furling

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
For the few exceptions where it happens, changing the angle of the boat to the waves or a flopper stopper like Kenomac's is a good solution. The smaller the boat, the more it should be needed. I don't know why they aren't used a lot.
People just don't anchor in rolly conditions, so don't need flopper stoppers. If they don't have flopper stoppers they can't anchor in rolly conditions without suffering, so sort of a self fulfilling prophecy.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 07:54   #167

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
People just don't anchor in rolly conditions, so don't need flopper stoppers. If they don't have flopper stoppers they can't anchor in rolly conditions without suffering, so sort of a self fulfilling prophecy.

Pete
Maybe you're onto something -- maybe I'm the only fool who does.

I'm too big for a lot of Baltic marinas, so I anchor out a lot not by choice. That might also have something to do with my experience.

I think flopper stoppers are definitely in my future.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 08:02   #168

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Rocker stopper action at Channel Islands National Park
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 08:04   #169

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Rocker stopper at Channel Islands National Park California
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3807573207_d52d30f327_o.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	156417  
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 08:10   #170

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson38 View Post
Rocker stopper at Channel Islands National Park California
Cool!

More thread drift, but I wonder if flopper stoppers put undesirable strain on the rig? Cyclical loading is bad, isn't it?

I was thinking about deploying a flopper stopper from a very long carbon pole I have (stole it off a dead TP52 ). It out to be terrifically effective 9 meters out, but maybe that's a lot of force to put into the rig?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 20-09-2017, 08:26   #171
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Cool!

More thread drift, but I wonder if flopper stoppers put undesirable strain on the rig? Cyclical loading is bad, isn't it?

I was thinking about deploying a flopper stopper from a very long carbon pole I have (stole it off a dead TP52 ). It out to be terrifically effective 9 meters out, but maybe that's a lot of force to put into the rig?
Switch channels over to my flopper stopper thread, ask again and I'll give you an accurate answer... but I'm not looking for another argument.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 09:59   #172

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Cool!

I've at times wondered this myself. Though when I consider the loads a rig is subjected to when leaping off of wave tops in F6-F8(or higher), I shudder at that as well. It's yet another reason why I am not at all a fan of any play in the leeward rigging. Perhaps I'll seek an answer over on Spar Talk, Brion Toss's rigging forum. If so, I'll try & remember to report back.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 10:07   #173

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I've at times wondered this myself. Though when I consider the loads a rig is subjected to when leaping off of wave tops in F6-F8(or higher), I shudder at that as well. It's yet another reason why I am not at all a fan of any play in the leeward rigging. Perhaps I'll seek an answer over on Spar Talk, Brion Toss's rigging forum. If so, I'll try & remember to report back.
Please do!

And know that like you, I always never liked slack in the leeward rigging. It just gives me a creepy feeling that the whole system is going to get a bashing with cyclical loads. Yet you can't tight it up too much . . . .
Walt Whitman
Old 20-09-2017, 10:37   #174

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I like in mast furlers but you can have issues. Photo below is me on the way to the Marquesas unjamming an in mast furler. An inexperienced crew member tried furling it with insufficient tension on the clew. With experience you can avoid most problems.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 13:18   #175

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
I like in mast furlers but you can have issues. Photo below is me on the way to the Marquesas unjamming an in mast furler. An inexperienced crew member tried furling it with insufficient tension on the clew. With experience you can avoid most problems.

Hey, I bet that was fun (not)! But, that's a very good looking kite IMO!

Jim
Old 20-09-2017, 13:50   #176

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Was a Jongert 68 with too narrow a mast section for in mast furling IMHO. That took about an hour. Luckily it wasnt too rough that day! [emoji41]

When I was the First Mate on Flyer II, former Whitbread winner converted to luxury cruiser, the Captain insisted on a full rig check after any bouts with bumpy weather. Checking rod rigging with a magnifying glass offshore was a challenge but I loved it. This was off the coast of Columbia heading for the San Blas. Great memories . . .

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 13:56   #177

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserAD View Post
I just bought a Broadblue 38 catamaran from 2002 this summer and sailed it from UK to Germany. The boats intended usage is extended single handed offshore cruising. Even though it is a cat it has got a very small mainsail because of the mast being very far aft, as well as having backstay preventing a "loafy" or square-top mainsail.
I have a Prout Snowgoose so I believe a very distant relative of your Broadblue in some ways.

It too has a tiny main. In fact it is specced as being just 14.9m2

My boat came with an aftermarket behind the mast furling system. My sail is 13.5m2 so I am loosing almost 10% sail area, but in absolute terms it's nothing. The original mains for these Prouts never has full battens, and like you Broadblue had twin backstays and thus no positive roach.

I do not like the system I have. It is from antiquity and behaves as such, but I would only switch to an in boom system. The idea of a lazy jacks, a stack pack, various reefing lines, just sound tedious. It was when I was learning to sail so I doubt it's more fun now.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:04   #178

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

The nice thing I found anchoring by or in a slip near boats with inmost furling is that in the darkness and with a 30 kt. wind blowing you do not need a light to find your boat due to the mournful howling of the mast. Maybe not all of them, but a lot of them.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, mast