Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2020, 01:23   #46

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)
Re: Top Down Asymmetrical Spinnaker Furler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbfisher View Post
“Video Unavailable”
Should be resolved now, was a music copyright issue. I have VPN'nd from the USA and the video is visible now. Sorry for the inconvenience.
ilCigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:59   #47

Having used both the Dow furler is marginally easier to store below decks!
Roshni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:38   #48

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhagbard View Post
#1 Top down furler need space to not interfere with headstay/genoa furler
#2 There is one, only ONE brand that you can rely on and that is SPinex / Profurl. They have kind of balls that increase the diameter from approx 10 mm to approx 45 mm - and you can easily understand the benefit on that when it comes to a) speed to furl and even more important b) eliminating risk described in provious comment
#3 Top-down is only needed for assymetric spinnakers. For code sails with straight line luff (more or less like a genua) you better use a normal furler.
#4 I uesd to have a top down for my 125 sqm assymetric A2 but I found the space between this and the code0 (on separat 2:1 halyard) was to small and b) it took to long time to furl it so I sold the top-down furling and got a sock. Well I don't use it single handed but I do use it with unexperienced crew.
#5 Bowsprit is not necessary although it improves the downwing performance on deep reaches..

Most important advise: Don't concider any other equipment than SPINEX (or other brand if they have copied the "balls"..)..
+100 to Profurl/Spinex! Apart from their innovative winning design for asymmetrical, over the years, I’ve found Proful being the most reliable and easy to maintain.

For me, also, the same consideration on furling/unfurling safely from the cockpit with a minimal crew - that’s for the cruising Contest.
From years of accidents (and hence, racing losses) with the racing Farr, I’m not sure it wouldn’t be the right way to go, that will also eliminate the pain of having the most qualified foredeck crew.

Now designing the Contest bow sprit to go with it - let’s see next summer...
Old 06-10-2020, 15:56   #49

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Your positive comments re-you experience with using Spinex is helpful. Thank you. As it happens I just bought a Profurl Nex 5 with the Spinex kit, it should arrive in about a week. Since the user manual instructions are simplistic to install the Spinex kit and not the Nex 5 for use of the torque rope luff sails, I can't find a user manual for the Nex 5.
My question is there pitfalls or anything you learned in its operation and installation to look out for? How close to the front of the forestay can one operate the Spinex top down furler?. I have normal spinnakers with a sock.

I suspect I can't use this sail with the Spinex furler? It seems I will have to have also a new sail made to suit the Spinex furler? I intend to use the Nex 5 for bottom up furler the stay sail, and a luff split reacher with a luff torque rope. and the Spinex kit for a spinnaker. this is all for cruising. I have just installed Profurl 430 roller furler for the genoa.

Any comment you make would be very well-received.

Thanks, Kryg Skoiern IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhagbard View Post
#1 Top down furler need space to not interfere with headstay/genoa furler
#2 There is one, only ONE brand that you can rely on and that is SPinex / Profurl. They have kind of balls that increase the diameter from approx 10 mm to approx 45 mm - and you can easily understand the benefit on that when it comes to a) speed to furl and even more important b) eliminating risk described in provious comment
#3 Top-down is only needed for assymetric spinnakers. For code sails with straight line luff (more or less like a genua) you better use a normal furler.
#4 I uesd to have a top down for my 125 sqm assymetric A2 but I found the space between this and the code0 (on separat 2:1 halyard) was to small and b) it took to long time to furl it so I sold the top-down furling and got a sock. Well I don't use it single handed but I do use it with unexperienced crew.
#5 Bowsprit is not necessary although it improves the downwing performance on deep reaches..

Most important advise: Don't concider any other equipment than SPINEX (or other brand if they have copied the "balls"..)..
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 16:23   #50

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

As far as I know and can imagine with your case, probably there is no need to make a new sail to work with the Spinex. At the most, just few alterations.
Nevertheless, will be interesting to know how the installation worked for you, once done.

Tags
asymmetric, cal, furler, spinnaker