Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2011, 07:05   #1

Tools On Board

I was wondering what kinds of tools people keep on board for maintenance, minor repairs and unexpected major repairs while underway. Im putting together a tool box for the boat but am second guessing what to bring, normally I just throw everything I got along with me but space is a tight. Any interesting makeshift tools out there?
Badjujumedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 07:51   #2

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Re: Tools on board

I carry a three tier toolbox with metric,american combination wrenches, 3 socket sets, rubber mallet, ball peen, cable cutters, several kinds of pliers packing gland wrench,various screwdrivers,hacksaw, keyholesaw,pipe wrench,taps etc. A cordless drill/sawzall with blades/bits. Another tool box dedicated to electrical supplies/tools. A third box filled with filters/belts. A 6"x12"x16" bin full of fasteners, a bag of DC plugs, and a drawer full of spare sailing hardware. Also various hose and wire. So far it's been enough.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 08:23   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

I have found over the years I have come across different projects. Many needing a tool of it'ss own. I keep aboard what is brought aboard. Space is needed to keep what I have. I am lucky enough to have a dedicated tool room, and 2 benches..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 08:27   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

recent threads on same topic:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ht=spare+tools

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...kit-24943.html
Old 28-04-2011, 08:55   #5

Boat: in process of buying new one

The best person to know what you need is yourself. Wrenches are a must and take time to make redesigned tools before you go. I had wrenches bent to fit hard to get places. A vice came in handy many times mounted to a board and clamped to help break fittings. Spray tools with Boeshield T9 to keep from rusting , another trick is ziplock tools with mothballs to keep from rusting, works great, hope you never have to use any of them.
captlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 09:02   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Badjujumedic.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 09:07   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I find that I need five toolboxes. The first is for wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, et cetera. The second is for electrical tools such as crimpers and strippers, and parts for wiring as well as circuit testers, a multimeter, et cetera. The third is full of assorted fasteners as well as glues, calks, tapes, et cetera. I also keep rigging tools, such as fids, in this toolbox. The fourth holds taps, drills, grinders and all that fun stuff. Finally, the fifth is for "overflow" stuff that won't fit into the other boxes, such as oil filter wrenches, a packing gland wrench, rubber mallets, hand saws, flat bar, et cetera.

In addition to that, I have a large bin that holds my sander, my dremmel kit, the skill saw....
Old 28-04-2011, 13:49   #8

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I currently have 4 tool bags, and a dozen ammo cans. I got the ammo cans because I'm tired of rusty tools. So they go in to the can with some silica gel and can live there. I also have a heavy tool box, several boxes of nuts n bolts, a welder, a compressor, hand sandblaster, skil saw, sabersaw, cordless drill, two corded drills, belt sander, two mini grinders, a router or two, a complete acetylene cutting/welding setup (also in an ammo can), complete set of precision dial indicators for lining up shafts n motors, and a bunch of hand wood tools. OH, I forgot the Ammo can full of electrical tools and meters. Crimp tools, wire stripper, soldering iron, etc.

I think a few more toys and poor old Sabre Dance will sink to the bottom. Once I'm done the rebuild I plan on sorting and disposing of a lot of it.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 14:35   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Dang Sabre, where do you find room to sleep? Not that I'm not envious. And here I was going to recommend a Dremel tool with attachments.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 00:37   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
In terms of size...

In terms of size the "few" cans of paint, box of brushes, epoxy, sandpaper etc. on board takes up the most space. Don't use them nearly enough.

In terms of "bang for buck" the "crimper", spare tinned wire and terminals would get the most use.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 15:50   #11

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Dang Sabre, where do you find room to sleep? Not that I'm not envious. And here I was going to recommend a Dremel tool with attachments.

Rich
Right now they rotate in and out of the boat as needed. In the end, after the rebuild is done, I'm planning on selling off most of the stuff. I expect I''ll keep the Welder and the acetylene set. Ditto a complete set of wrenches and sockets. Plus the usual assortment of screwdrivers and stuff. The electrical all fits into one large ammo box so it will stay.

While on the boat, the stuff lives in the under settee lockers right up by the mast compression post. The power tools won't fit but the bags n boxes do.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 16:06   #12

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Tools On Board

I basically carry with me almost everything I would need to completely rebuild the boat if I had to. The list is too long to list! Remember what cruising is all about--repairing your boat in exotic ports around the world.
Old 29-04-2011, 16:17   #13

Boat: Mason 53
Re: Tools On Board

G'day, mate. Our sewing machine has saved us $1,000's while cruising & living on board. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote