Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2014, 02:33   #46

Re: Tools for Ocean Voyage

The answer is, how long is a piece of string. If you think you will need it you will. One tool i will always have on board is a CLAMPTITE tool.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 03:05   #47

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Duct tape... if that doesnt fix it then you aren't using enough duct tape...

Truly essential?
Well.... my boat is never really secure... 11 years in the 'southern cone' no dramas with what was essentialy an unsecured boat....

the Falklands? ... never did more than drop the spray flap when going ashore .. the locals never lock their doors.

When, on preparing for sea, I found that I had been ratted the culprits were well gone... and no they weren't French.. not even EU... much closer to home.... ( and that doesnt mean FI!)

What did they take? Well they left the cash and the fancy binoculars that were in plain view and took what would not be noticed for a while.
All my blade fuses, my new set of ratchet ring spanners, and all my allen keys... oh.... and all my safety harnesses.

So I would put all of the above near the top of my 'must have ' list.... can't change the lift pump on my Volvo without allen keys....

and yes I know who did it........
Old 22-12-2014, 03:44   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
The answer is, how long is a piece of string. If you think you will need it you will. One tool i will always have on board is a CLAMPTITE tool.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
+1

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 11:44   #49

Boat: Alberg 37

Beneteau 50? You can't possibly fit all that has been suggested? Not sore why. I have an Albert 37 which is almost 40 years old and has 40 year old boat problems meaning we are always sailing and loving it, but always chasing problems. You can fit all that has been listed, you just need to think about it. I carry a spare alternator and starter, a electrical toolbox, and engine kit ( including both metric and standard Allen keys as mentioned above) as well as general tools. I have found almost all of them to be helpful. Unless port is within sight, you will be glad you found space to stash extra tools. Also, I don't recommend tools from your garage. If you have nice tools, the marine environment may make then not nice in a season. Cheap wrench sets, Allen sets, socket sets bolt cutters, and a hacksaw can all be purchased for under 50 bucks at a discount tool store. They are not snap on tools, but you can throw them away after a season if they are corroded and not feel too bad. My two cents. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Alberg 37 #162
Outdoorrecmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 03:22   #50

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorrecmann View Post
Beneteau 50? You can't possibly fit all that has been suggested? Not sore why. I have an Albert 37 which is almost 40 years old and has 40 year old boat problems meaning we are always sailing and loving it, but always chasing problems. You can fit all that has been listed, you just need to think about it. I carry a spare alternator and starter, a electrical toolbox, and engine kit ( including both metric and standard Allen keys as mentioned above) as well as general tools. I have found almost all of them to be helpful. Unless port is within sight, you will be glad you found space to stash extra tools. Also, I don't recommend tools from your garage. If you have nice tools, the marine environment may make then not nice in a season. Cheap wrench sets, Allen sets, socket sets bolt cutters, and a hacksaw can all be purchased for under 50 bucks at a discount tool store. They are not snap on tools, but you can throw them away after a season if they are corroded and not feel too bad. My two cents. Good luck.

A little tip. Rub your tools with a cloth soaked in WD-40 - no rust.

Don't ask me how I know this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 03:30   #51

Carstenb, even with the wd40, I don't put tools I care about on the boat. Call it too much diving experience. Good tip about the rust though!

Alberg 37 #162
Old 23-12-2014, 03:33   #52

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorrecmann View Post
Carstenb, even with the wd40, I don't put tools I care about on the boat. Call it too much diving experience. Good tip about the rust though!

A little extra diving experience is great - it also teaches you to tie a lanyard on every single tool.

Again - please don't ask how I know this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 03:36   #53

Carstenb- love it!

Alberg 37 #162
Old 23-12-2014, 03:39   #54

BTW- if your sounder ever acts screwy in a harbor, chuck it up to tools lost in the harbor.

Alberg 37 #162
Old 23-12-2014, 03:51   #55

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Two things not mentioned sofar as I can see:
- strong magnet on a long string, 2 metres longer than the water is deep in your anchorage
- pot of lanoline, very good for rust preventing on tools and rigging, can be diluted with turps to make it thin and runny

BTW WD40 is good, but you can make your own with mixing ordinary car transmission fluid with acetone (and of course every sailor has a jerrycan of acetone on board......)

If one goes on holidays in a car or RV, and is running out of space..... one hooks up a trailer......
Old 23-12-2014, 04:25   #56

Biggest thing is to be prepared for. ..is the only thing you will not have. "Exactly what you need" it will be left back at the dock. So you must be able to be creative!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 04:38   #57

Boat: Heritage 35

I had two wrenches made to fit my stuffing box nuts and the nuts on the throughhulls. and the right length that I could get them on under the engine. cheap and no fiddling with adjustables.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 05:11   #58

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I have some specific tools, that might be needed in short order, permanently in their location of use. My W/beke W46 needs an unusual size open-end spanner/wrench to bleed the injectors. It is wire-tied across the injector lines. Teak cabinsides, so have brass cuphooks and Lexan deadlites for ports. Farriers nippers will flush cut 3/16" splitpins to ditch the rig.
Old 23-12-2014, 06:41   #59

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Simplify your tool chest down to one tool;

Something breaks, push the button, grab your drink and wait. It's all the rage these days.

And maybe a corkscrew. Yup that'll do it.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 08:49   #60

The mechanical mind can replace a lot of tools: