Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2013, 06:32   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS
Tool Kit for cruising

Im prepping to set sail for extended livaboard cruise in May.
As a builder, biker and gereral "Tool o phile" I have collected a rediculous number of tools over the years all of which I adore.
If I tried to load them all aboard the boat would never leave port and obviously I wont be neeing a compound mitre saw on a GRP yacht....
My Q is what do you carry that is essential and whats a waste of time???
I am planning on taking the following...
30" toolbox with general toolkit ( screwdrivers, pliers etc etc etc )
Socket set
Spanner set
Dewalt 18v Drill
Electrical multi meter
Set of crimps
WD40, grease, 3 in 1 oil.

Obviously I will have full set of spares and dont want to get into that, just the tool kit itself... Any thoughts?
Thames 4 Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 06:43   #2

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Re: Tool Kit for cruising

I prefer to use tool bags instead of boxes. I have a bag for pliers, vice-grips, channel locks, etc. I have another bag for screw drivers, and then another bag for miscellaneous. I keep my wrenches in rolll-up bags, one for the standard wrenches and the other metric.

The bags are easier to get out instead of a large box and they are okay on the deck or cabin sole.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 06:49   #3

Cable cutter, propane torch, wire stripper, various wire connectors, pipe wrench..one small, one medium..good pair of scissors..hose clamps
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 06:50   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

You can never have too many tools. Here are some others I have found essential:

Torque wrench, various sizes of pipe wrenches, large bolt cutters, hacksaw and blades, jeweler's screw drivers, heavy electric drill for shore power (for big projects), power sanders, heat gun, propane torch, tubing cutter, tap and die set, small sledge hammer, pry bar, various files, hole saws, packing gland nut wrench, small vice that can be mounted if needed, breaker bar for big sockets, very long screw drivers for hard-to-reach screws, oil filter wrench, small dental mirror on stalk, magnet on extendable arm, headlamps, knee pads, etc., etc.
Old 20-03-2013, 07:15   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
You can never have too many tools.
Most cruisers have far too many tools. They are a waste of money and space.

If you really need a Double Overhead Extenabale Racheting Inverse Spanner just jump on the VHF and half a dozen idiots will have carted one unused around the world and will be delighted for you to use it, for free.

I have three tool bags and 1 tool box.
The bags:
Screwdrivers
Electrical, strippers, crimpers etc
Spanners and sockets.

In the tool box are old screws, bits and bobs and crap and junk.

Only additional is a cordless drill.

The things I have found great are boxes of mixed stainless machine screws and nuts, and a similar box of mixed SS selt tapping screws similar to the photo below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	57456  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 07:24   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28

I don't leave without one of these spring grabber tools in my bag.
from Home Depot @ $9.
24 in. Lighted Mechanical Pickup
Model # 70396
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 07:35   #7

+1 on what ReMetau said about soft bags. Hard toolboxes (even plastic) are more difficult to store, and will damage your boat surfaces. A number of small bags are more easy to stow. Although messy, bags accumulate oil, anticorrosion solutions, and offer protection to tools.

Your tool list looks very basic. There are many books (nigel Calder), which have lists, I think websites such as Hawks have lists. Do some research and synthesise your own list.

I am an ex farmer...when I left the farm, I took absolutely every tool I could fit onto the boat. With the passage of time, a few tools have gone, but the rest have all been used at some stage.

Sanders are important if you are doing your own hull prep for antifoul, and for routine varnishing.

I find a Dremel, with attachements (especially the flexible shaft and the right angle drive), to be most useful on a boat. Especially for getting into those hard to get places.

Electrical work tools, proper crimpers, soldering irons, butane torch, etc. The dremel torch is very good for electrical work.

I recently discovered multi-tools (I am a bit slow), these are absolutely fantastic. With a range of blades, they are incredibly versatile. I would not be without one. I bought a mid range Bosch, now I know how useful they are, should have got a Fein.

The list goes on.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 07:56   #8

Boat: Nonsuch 30

5" vice grips, very handy because of their size. We have a lot of tools onboard. Never get used, until they get used. One comment was made about a corded drill. If you are from a 110v country just remember that most if the world isn't so you need to rely on your inverter or genset.
Old 20-03-2013, 08:10   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

A couple things that we used WAY more than we dreamed:

1. Dremel -- get a corded as the cordless are good for crafts but not for cutting into stainless. Take lots of cutting wheels as they break easily.

2. Mirror on a stick -- there's tons of stuff that's hard to see . . .

3. If you've got an inverter, generator or other source of 110, a clamp on trouble light is really worthwhile to be able to actually SEE what you're working on.

And two products (both links are to blog posts I've written about these):

4. Rescue Tape -- the good stuff that's good up to 950 psi (or more if you give it enough wraps)

5. Anti-Seize (get it at auto stores). Basically the opposite of Lock-Tite. Instead of figuring out how to get parts un-frozen, just avoid the problem in the first place.

Other than those, I'd say we "all the usual stuff" -- oh yeah, a strap wrench is good for all your filter housings instead of a separate wrench for each.

The Boat Galley - making your boat life better with a weekly newsletter, free and low-cost courses, handy references and document organizers
The Boat Galley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 08:22   #10

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah

A stubby multi-bit screwdriver. Far too many times that your standard length screwdrivers just don't fit, or force you to work at an angle.

Also a centre punch, and hole saws, though I would imagine those have far more relevance when one is the midst of a rebuild (as I am) and not into actual cruising.
serah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 08:22   #11

Boat: Catalina 310

I agree with the soft tool bags. I used to use several of the smaller ones and didn't like the organization. Then I found this 75-pocket tool backpack. It has 6 different compartments and all kinds of holders for various tools.

This backpack allowed me to better organize my tools and carry most of my key tools (I keep a 3/8 drive and 1/2 drive ratchet sets, 2 pipe wrenches and 24" bolt cutters in addition to what fits in backpack). I am often helping friends with projects on their boats or just having my tools close at hand.

I carry the typical tools (pliers, screw drivers, 3 pairs of channel locks, box wrenches in English and metric, hack saw, ballpein hammer, wire stripers and crimp tools, files, sand paper, wire brushes, scrapers, multi-meter, allen wrenches, 2-3 utility knives with spare blades, drill bits, metal picks, inspection mirror, telescoping magnet, a 25' electrical snake, etc.)

For power tools I only carry 3: a corded drill, Bosch saber saw and heat gun. I plan to add a 12 volt cordless drill and impact gun this year.
I feel with this group of tools I can effectively do most repairs and modifications. Of course, this is complimented by spares and things like PB Blaster and TefGel.

I also have an emergency kit with wooden plugs, duct tape, zip ties, a rubber mallet and underwater/fast set epoxy. That is in a separate, small tool bag that is always out.
JK n Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 08:28   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Sereh's stubby multi-bit screwdriver is another definite!

My husband picked one up for $1 after he had all his "good tools" packed up and on the boat, and then we needed to fix something back at the apartment. Turned out to be the screwdriver we grabbed first for almost everything -- the one he got was a t-handle, so improved leverage.

If you have cordless tools, check that the charger will work with your inverter. We found that some of our chargers would not work on a modified sine wave inverter -- they required a pure sine wave.

The Boat Galley - making your boat life better with a weekly newsletter, free and low-cost courses, handy references and document organizers
The Boat Galley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 08:34   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

I bought myself a hand drill last week to add to the collection - simpler than than plugging in my corded drill (don't have cordless) - and good for anything that might crop up at or below the waterline...
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 08:47   #14

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boat Galley View Post
If you have cordless tools, check that the charger will work with your inverter. We found that some of our chargers would not work on a modified sine wave inverter -- they required a pure sine wave.
Good point. Even better, eliminate the inverter. I am going to pick up this kit from Milwaukee. Then I can pick up this charger that connects to the boat's 12 volt system. No need to run it through the inverter.
JK n Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 08:49   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

even tho i have a hand drill, it is impractical except for the persistence required for its use--i have cordless drills and otherwise and generator fro their use. i do not hesitate to use generator as it is a big help in refitting this boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising