Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2010, 19:41   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
You can learn to sail with more sails better than you can now. I wouldn't make that decision just yet. Get some time on the water in various condition. She seems to be a good solid boat and the extra sails had a purpose to someone. Store them ashore for a bit and see how you do. If you can make the money work the roller furler is a good choice to make. Making changes as weather gets worse is always the problem. But light winds are also more common. Both case need sail changes as they go from one to the other. Have all four checked out and brought into good condition. Even if you sell them you'll get more money.
yes I will do that thanks!!!
S.Blain=Blais we boath have the same roots (chateau Blain)
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 22:01   #17

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
I bought a similar boat recently and I my opinion is that getting rid of those sails is a bad idea for three reasons:
  1. When you get out there especially around the tropics you will soon discover how important it is to have light wind sails; i.e. both the Genoa and spinnaker. Otherwise be prepared to either do a lot of motoring and/or sitting around waiting for wind.
  2. When I bought my boat the sails had a few years on them and both during and after an over thousand nautical mile sail back to my home port needed a lot of repairs and ultimately replacement. In fact, half way through the voyage I bought a new Genoa after the old one shredded in a squall. While my boat is only 28” with limited storage, instead of shedding sails I am looking for spares and different combinations that work togather.
  3. It’s a sailing boat; “the thing speaks for itself”!
The other big reason has already been covered. That is, the previous owner had these sails for a reason. Having the same on my boat, an inner forestay is something I would also recommend.
Old 31-08-2010, 22:11   #18

Boat: Swan 56
Mollucan Sea - Cool - keep us posted on how that goes...

Keep the genoa on board - you'll use it way more than the jib down there - very light winds.

With the genoa and main on deck all the time - should free up considerable space inside.

The spinnaker is really up to you - a how much will you use it vs how much is it just going to get in the way call. On your own, with a symmetrical spinnaker - I doubt you will use it often enough to justify the clutter on that size of boat - but that's just my opinion - there's not right and wrong answer. If it's Asymetric i'd keep it

If you decide to leave the spinnaker, the only reason to keep the pole is for poling out the headsail - which is good for running down with a decent wind. But where you are going decent wind won't happen very often and so downwind with a poled out headsail will mean baking in the sun all day with little apparent wind. Even though it will be quicker, I'd lay odds that you'd prefer to barber haul the genoa and do big angles, just to get breeze over the decks
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:36   #19

Recut spinnaker

I have a question which might relevant here: can a spinnaker be recut to an asymmetrical, which would obviously be easier for a single hander (or me) to handle.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:00   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
Mollucan Sea - Cool - keep us posted on how that goes...

Keep the genoa on board - you'll use it way more than the jib down there - very light winds.

With the genoa and main on deck all the time - should free up considerable space inside.

The spinnaker is really up to you - a how much will you use it vs how much is it just going to get in the way call. On your own, with a symmetrical spinnaker - I doubt you will use it often enough to justify the clutter on that size of boat - but that's just my opinion - there's not right and wrong answer. If it's Asymetric i'd keep it

If you decide to leave the spinnaker, the only reason to keep the pole is for poling out the headsail - which is good for running down with a decent wind. But where you are going decent wind won't happen very often and so downwind with a poled out headsail will mean baking in the sun all day with little apparent wind. Even though it will be quicker, I'd lay odds that you'd prefer to barber haul the genoa and do big angles, just to get breeze over the decks
alot of good points you made, as I read more about this I understand the value of having them vs not. plus most of these ar 2004 and have little to no use on them, also I have no engin but will have an outboard eventualy?
rgds
Old 01-09-2010, 06:22   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Ditto on keep the sails for now. You can bin them later after you get experience with the boat.

If I was setting up I would get a genny on a roller, set up the removable inner stay for the storm jib, bin the symmetrical and set up for an asym spinnaker. I then get rid off the spin pole or cut it down for use as a whisker pole.

Setting a symmetrical by yourself is doable but why make things hard.

2 cents mode...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Ditto on keep the sails for now. You can bin them later after you get experience with the boat.

If I was setting up I would get a genny on a roller, set up the removable inner stay for the storm jib, bin the symmetrical and set up for an asym spinnaker. I then get rid off the spin pole or cut it down for use as a whisker pole.

Setting a symmetrical by yourself is doable but why make things hard.

2 cents mode...
alredy have a whisker pole havent noticed if it slides on the mast or not?
dont know if the spinnaker is symmetrical or asym? will check this out next weekend. as for the roller and genny this is a must and will work on that pronto and so the inner stay for the storm jib.
Thanks guys for all the insight.
cheers
Old 01-09-2010, 07:13   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Hannah: The answer is a practical "NO". The greatest part of the cost of a sail is the labor involved, and what you are asking would require as much labor as building a new assymetrical for you, but with inferior materials. If you don't think you can manage your chute (and that means actually trying several times, under the watchful eye of an instructor and with help from as many friends as you can fit on the bow) then consider either a code zero furling genoa or a screacher, that can be retrieved and deployed from the cockpit.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:47   #24

Asymmetrical

I know I can't handle the chute, the pole is too heavy for me. Passages are always just the two of us unless our daughter drops in from whatever Third World country she calls home at the moment. We have a goodly number of ocean miles under our belt with just 135 genny. I expect to build our asym from a Sailrite kit, but didn't know if I could take a shortcut with the spinnaker.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:38   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
I know I can't handle the chute, the pole is too heavy for me. Passages are always just the two of us unless our daughter drops in from whatever Third World country she calls home at the moment. We have a goodly number of ocean miles under our belt with just 135 genny. I expect to build our asym from a Sailrite kit, but didn't know if I could take a shortcut with the spinnaker.
Well if you are building the asym yourself, there is no labor cost, so the question then becomes what kind of shape is the current spin cloth in and is it the right weight? Also, what could you expect to sell it for if you build the asym with new cloth?

If you have the pattern for your new asym, yes you could certainly build it with the cloth from your current spinnaker but you would probably have to take the current chute completely apart, which means more labor.

And about your pole being too heavy, have you tried attaching the inboard end to the mast and then raising it with your pole lift (using a winch if necessary) after getting the guy set up? Should make it a lot easier.

Actually, you might want to keep both your current chute and the new asym. The symmetrical chute will be better deep downwind.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:45   #26

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"
Have you folded your sails really neatly?Looks like there might be a lot of air in the bags.
When I take the time to flake my sails that I won't be using for a while they take up much less room on the boat.

Phil
Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:07   #27

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
I expect to build our asym from a Sailrite kit, but didn't know if I could take a shortcut with the spinnaker.
If the spinaker is in good shape I would sell it and then build the asym. Time is relevant whether it is your time or someone else's.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:23   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
a hinterhoeller 28

she will be a livaboard and travel partner for future asian (moluccan sea)voyage
Reminds me of my old Taipan 28. Seaworthy.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:57   #29

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
I have a question which might relevant here: can a spinnaker be recut to an asymmetrical, which would obviously be easier for a single hander (or me) to handle.
Well, you've got at least one NO. But I had mine done. So my vote is yes. Worked out nicely for me. Talk to a sail loft.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:07   #30

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
I'd be happy to take that Spinnaker off your hands...